Saturday, January 01, 2011

Rambling Beard Award


What a way to start the new year!




Ron, Mickey and Aunt Mabel at Disney World 2000




I won the "Rambling Beard Award" for 2010!


You say you never heard of the "Rambling Beard Award."  Then I say where have you been?  My God, just WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?


The Rambling Beard Award is awarded by Kim Ayres of Scotland.  Kim is the author of one of the best blogs on this planet.  His blog is called "The Bearded One."  


I discovered Kim's blog a few years back when I happened to stumble across "Blogs of Note" while I was exploring the settings on my blog.  The title of his blog caught my eye, "The Bearded One."  As regular readers of my blog know, I am partial to beards.  When I saw the word beard a trip sensor immediately went off in my head that I may want to check out THAT blog.  Might be someone of interest. 


Well folks, I wasn't wrong.  As I read Kim's blog I realized that this was a man of exceptional writing skills.  Whatever he writes about he makes interesting.  While I tend to gravitate towards blogs with gay authors,  here was a straight blogger that I found interesting.  


Kim and I have little in common except perhaps our love of writing and photography.  Photography is yet another natural talent that Kim possesses.  Kim and I also have similar views on religion, we're both unapologetic skeptics.  Other than that, we have little in common.  Yet I have enormous respect for this good hearted family man who is kind to so many with his generosity.  


This was a person I could learn from.  All my life and to the end of my days, I constantly strive to improve myself.  Whenever or whatever opportunity I see that I can learn and become better as a person and my skills, I will seize those opportunities.  The more I read Kim's blog posts I knew that I wanted to improve my writing skills to be on the par with Kim.  Kim makes it look easy.  


All my life I have been impressed with people who have natural artistic and writing talent.  I do not have those natural talents. Certain talents are something you are either born with or not.  I was not born with the natural talents for art , writing or music. Thus my lot in life was to learn those talents.  


From Kim I have learned how to improve my writing skills.  


I love to write.  I feel like something is released within me when I write.  I would be less than honest if I didn't say that I would like to have a large following of my writing.  To have many people enjoy my writing is called reenforcement.  


Every one needs reinforcement in our life.  We all need affirmation that we are needed, loved and appreciated.  We need to know that we matter.


Anyone who does anything from laying bricks to driving a race car to running for political office.  They all want reinforcement which can come in many forms from praise, money or winning.  I am no exception.  I'll take the praise, thank you.


Kim , by awarding me one of his coveted (first time in three years!) "Rambling Beard" awards has just given me a HUGE reinforcement!  The last time I got a huge reinforcement like this was when I won "Best Guest Services Representative" (a fancy title for a hotel front desk clerk) in 1999 from the Hilton Hotel Corporation.  At that won free four day trip to Disneyworld for two.  Yes, that's right.  I actually said "I'm going to Disneyworld!"  just like those hunky football player Super Bowl winners.


I can reassure Kim that I will not rest on my laurels this coming year.  I plan to have an even more exciting, interesting and thought provoking years of blog postings in 2011!  


What a wonderful send off for the New Year.  Thank you Kim.

14 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Congratulations. Don't forget to stick the award patch somewhere visible on your blog.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honored to receive this award from Kim, "The Bearded One." I have a lot of respect for Kim and his writing skills. To be recognized by Kim is an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lar! I don't think I get any kind of patch to post on my blog. This is a non-commercial award printed to me by a fellow blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "presented" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your praise - I never realised the award would mean so much!

    You are perfectly entitled to stick the award on your sidebar if you want. Just right-click on the image and save it onto your computer. Then, in the design area of your blog, click "add a gadget" on your sidebar, scroll down and find "Picture", then upload it from there. Then drag it to the area of the sidebar you want it on.

    If none of this makes sense, email me and I can give you more detailed step-by-step instructions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:03 PM

    Congrats Ron. I really enjoy reading your blogs and have told you many times that you are a good writer and talke wonderful pictures. Happy New Year!!!! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron,

    Actually, when you receive these awards there is usually an icon to place on your Blog. he says at the end of his post if you need instructions on how to do this contact him.

    You want to show the world you received this accolade.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Kim, to me your award means a lot. When I receive recognition from someone I admire it always means a lot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much Barbara! I will continue to write and take my pictures as long as I have my health and wits about me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lar! I found the icon and posted it. Watch out or I'll catch up with you and your awards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! Congrats!
    I'm wondering why he rewarded you. I have to find that out on his blog then :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tai,
    Click on "Ramblings of the Bearded One" on my blog roll link to the right of my blog.

    Kim lives in Scotland. He's straight (I don't hold that against him) and his blog is excellent. Plus, he's a very talented photographer.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete