Saturday, January 08, 2011

Egg Nog Rum Cake

Egg Nog Rum Cake






Okay folks, here we go on this snowy day in southern Delaware.  Yes, ANOTHER SNOW DAY.  Can you believe it?  I can't.  This is the third snow storm since Christmas.  WTF?  Oh well, I don't have to go anywhere today.  In fact, I don't have to go anywhere until next Wednesday, when I go back to work at the hotel.  I'm hoping this white stuff is ALL GONE then.  

Pretty? YES.  To travel in?  NO.

So you ask what is this pictured at the top of my blog?  That my friends is an Egg Nog Rum cake.  This recipe has been making the rounds the past couple of weeks through some of my blogger friends. I think the recipe started with Mark in Delaware ("Tales of the Sissy.")  

His recipe looks so good that it was next on my indulgent cooking list right after egg nog pie.  Another "in fact" was that I made THREE egg nog pies.  Yep, Significant Other and I fast tracked those pies right down out pie hole.  They are gone my friends.....GONE!  

So yesterday I used up the last of the famous, hard to get, Lewes Dairy Egg Nog and made this scrumptious Egg Nog Cake.  I took Mark's recipe and put a few "enhancements" to it.  The recipe is as follows (using a bundt cake pan): 

  • 1 box white cake mix (I use Duncan Hines but you can also use Betty Crocker)
  • use 3 whole eggs instead of three egg whites as called for in the box recipe
  • substitute egg nog for the vegetable oil called for in the recipe
  • 1 teaspoon rum extract
After removing the cake from the oven and cooling off, drizzle about a 1/4 cup of 100% rum over the top of the cake, letting a puddle of rum form on the bottom of the cake dish. The cake will absorb the excess rum like a sponge.

For the glaze icing, instead of confectioner's sugar and water I used confectioner's sugar and egg nog (use as much or little as the consistency that you want your icing.)

Drizzle the glaze icing over the rum soaked cake.  

Then try to keep your hands off of the cake.  

As you can see below, this is what happens to a cake when it is too good.  Yes, that big slice (actually multiple slices) was what I ate last night after I returned from the Friday Night Dine Out Group at Ruby Tuesday's in Rehoboth Beach.  


One would think I didn't get enough to eat at Ruby Tuesdays.  One would think.  



When Significant Other got up this morning he wanted to know what happened to the cake.

I told him a pig got in the house last night.  






11 comments:

  1. That cake looks fantastic.

    Thanks for posting the recipe - I'm going to give it a shot.

    -nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Leaf,

    It's sweet.....but good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss things like this. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps the only good thing about the snow Spo (I'm a poet and don't know it!) The snow does leave a pretty landscape. The pure white of the snow gives the effect of showing a clean and pristine landscape. But oh, we know what is just beneath the surface. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious and I am going to try this with Koloa Rum from Kauai, Hawaii next Christmas!
    Jeanne Toulon, Director of Public Relations, Koloa Rum Company
    jeanne@koloarum.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne,

    That sounds delicious! The next time I make this cake I will try it with Koloa Rjum.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made an eggnog cake on Saturday too. It turned out wonderfully. I added a 1/4 tsp nutmeg to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cubby,
    I should have added nutmeg to my cake too. It was missing something and that's probably what it was. When I made my egg nog pie I added nutmeg and it was perfect. By the way, I drizzled rum on it and that probably wasn't a good idea because the booze overpowered the delicate flavor of the eggnog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this eggnog rum cake recipe last year and it was fabulous! Thanks for sharing - the whole family's been asking me to hurry up and make this again this year. Since we love rum and eggnog, we think the rum drench (we don't drizzle) puts this over the top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I found your site last year and made this and it was a huge hit. My family has been asking me to hurry up and make it again this year! And since we love eggnog *and* rum, we don't drizzle, we drench ;-) Love it and wouldn't want it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made eggnog cake this year. It's time. Thanks for the reminder.

      Ron

      Delete