Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dan's Pussy



Continuing on with my cat theme from yesterday............pictured above is my friend Dan's pussy...cat.  I would tell you the cat's name but I've forgotten.  Short term memory loss is one of the inevitable afflictions of a 69 year old.  I'm getting there.


Since I don't remember this cat's name, I will refer to him as "Dan's Pussy" (which I'm sure Dan will appreciate when he reads this blog.)  Hey, I tried calling him this morning to ask him the name of his cat but no answer. Dan's a busy guy traveling between his three properties; one in Landenberg, PA, another in Rehoboth Beach, DE and a third in Sarasota, FL.  Dan's Pussy travels with him to his home in Landenberg and Rehoboth Beach.  When Dan travels to his home in Florida, I guess he goes pussyless.


The first time I met Dan's Pussy was in October of 2009.  I was immediately struck by how big Dan's Pussy was.  I do like me a big, fat orange.................WAIT A MINUTE!  Dan just called on the phone.  


I'm back!  The name of Dan's cat is..................MAX!




So from here on out I will refer to Dan's Pussy as Max.


As I was saying before I like a big, fat, orange pussy cat.  I asked Dan where he got Max.  Dan told me that Max was abandoned in the parking lot of an apartment complex near Wilmington Delaware along with another cat.  Both of the cats belonged to an old lady who died.  When her relatives came to clean out her apartment, they put her cats out in the parking lot of the apartment complex to fend for themselves.    




This is the kind of mindless, thoughtless, selfish treatment of animals that I hate to hear about.  Sometimes I can hardly stand to have knowledge of this kind of heartless cruelty towards animals.  


Dan and his partner Dave rescued Max but were not able to find the other cat.  The poor animals, just try to imagine what they were going through.  Used to a life of comfort and security in an apartment of an old lady who apparently loved them, now to be tossed out into the unknown.  These kinds of stories just break my heart.  I try not to think about them.  




I asked Dan if Max ever goes out.  Dan said "Never!"  I suspect Max used up all of his remaining nine lives the time he was fending for himself in that parking lot.  


Well, he has a good home now.  Dan is a sweet guy and will take good care of him.  And I can see where Max is providing love and comfort for Dan too. 



Someday....someday I'm going to get a kitty cat for myself.  Just you wait and see.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely pussy cat! Can I touch him for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai,
    I couldn't keep my hands off of Dan's pussy. So soft and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see cat and man so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spo,
    That is a real love story between Dan and his cat. I love this kind of happy ending. Dan is a super nice guy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's big pussy!

    I too love cats, from a distance. They make me itchy and stuffy if I get too close. I prefer dogs that are non-allergic; Bandit has hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beginning of your post made me laugh and the end made me both furious at the disregard that those people had for those poor creatures and at the same time grateful for the kindness of your friends.

    I like to think that there is a special punishment waiting for those who abuse animals, in the next stage of our journey, after we leave this Earth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiger Tsuki,

    You and I think the same. I have always thought that there is a special punishment awaiting those who abuse animals, especially animals like cats and dogs who the human race has domesticated and depend on us for their survival. I am convinced that kind of person is less than human. They have no soul otherwise how could they even contemplate doing such a cruel and heartless act to those creatures who depend on us so much? That is why I believe in karma. I have a special affinity for animals, perhaps even more so than I do my fellow human beings. For many years I felt guilty for feeling like that but I no longer do. People can take care of themselves and there are laws to prevent cruelty to those who cannot take care of themselves like children and the mentally disabled. However, animals are considered property and thus not worthy of such protection. They depend upon us. I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like this.
    Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick,

    That's exactly what I said to Dan the when I visited him and saw Max for the first time. I said "Dan, what a big pussycat!" He just laughed. Dan embarrasses easily so I push his buttons whenever I can.
    I love dogs as well as cats I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron, people are terribly selfish. Looks like Max is about as happy as a cat can be now. Another happy ending for a companion animal that might not have made it. I don't know Dan, but he can't be a bad person if he helped out Max.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kyle,
    Dan saved Max. This was a happy ending to an otherwise tragic story. Unfortunately, they were never able to find Max's companion. Poor thing was probably freaked out. Hopefully someone else rescued it too. Dan is a very nice man. Max couldn't of found a better home or master.

    ReplyDelete