Monday, January 31, 2011

Babydoll - Crazy Dog

My niece Karen with Babydoll as a puppy
Remember when I told you about my one and only cat Bobby a few posts back?  On this cold and rainy evening I was trolling through some of my 42,345 pictures that I have on my iMac and I came across this series of pictures of me and my little Pomeranian dog Babydoll.


Okay, okay.  I know "Babydoll" is a stupid name but it fit her perfectly.  Babydoll was one of two female puppies that was the result of the one and only time Bill and I were going to raise Pomeranian dogs to sell.  Oh how foolish we were.  We thought we would enjoy the benefits of raising the puppies then sell them.  Not to get rich but just for the enjoyment of raising them and finding a good home for them.


Well, the result of the one and only mating between our male Pomeranian Horace and our female Pomeranian T was two pups.  They were sold even before they were born.  We expected four puppies.  What we got was one big pup, which we called Jumbo and a little, tiny, teeny pup which we called Babydoll.  


Babydoll came out with a bad temper.  She was a crazy dog.  But oh how we loved her.  We felt very protective towards her because she had to compete with her much bigger sister Jumbo when it came to feeding time with mom.  Jumbo lived in fear of Babydoll.  


Thus when they were both eight weeks old we were distraught that we had to deliver both of them to their new owners.  I tried to talk the buyers out of their purchase but they would have none of it.  

Two weeks after delivery of the pups to their new owners, one owner called me and asked me if I would like to have the pup back.  It was Babydoll.  Of course we would take her back.  


Thus Babydoll enjoyed eleven very happy years with us; her mom and her pop.  Unfortunately, she died before either her mom or pop.  Her mother lived until she was fourteen years old and her father lived until we was sixteen years old.  We always felt like Babydoll got the short end of the deal.  


Babydoll is the first living thing that caused me a great heartbreak when she died.  I never knew such pain could exist when someone or something you loved could die.  


Babydoll died in 1994.  She is the reason we have never got another dog.  Bill still isn't over her loss.  Bill said he wouldn't survive another loss like the one we did with Babydoll.  


Going through my old pictures tonight (I was actually looking for one of me by the bed I shared with my two brothers taken when I was eleven years old - I was going to write a blog post on why I always sleep alone now after spending years sharing a bed with my two brothers), I came across this picture of me playing with Babydoll.  This is why I have pictures, they bring back a lot of happy memories.


Someday Babydoll, we'll be together again.  




7 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Cute little thing. It is a shame Bill has been so affected. I always found the best way to get over the loss of a pet was to get another. We go into these affairs with dogs and cats knowing their lives are only a fraction of our own, but we give them a great life in the time they have.

    There are a lot of such animals out there who don't get to enjoy a loving home. The feral and strays often die very early, I think the average for cats is three years.

    Then there are all the dogs and cats in shelters who live in cages. They need caring people to take them in.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai,
    I have thousands of old pictures. Stay around long enough and eventually I'll post all of them on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Both of you!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so too Mark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like to lose a beloved animal. We lost our Cairn Terrier, Buddy, a few years ago, and I still tear up when I look at his photos.

    Teddy is an active 8 year old, but I know it will be even harder when he goes too...

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there is no pain or sorrow like the death of a pet. Only a pet owner knows what I mean.

    ReplyDelete