Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Walmart Photo Shoot



So how did my photo shoot go yesterday at Walmart?  Great!


I had a suspicion that would happen.


Every year I try to have an "official" portrait photo taken of myself for posterity.....and my profile pictures on Blogger and Facebook.  


Back in my cash flush days (when I worked at a major Philadelphia bank), I would spend up to a $1,000 to have pictures taken of me and my Pomeranian dogs for my annual Christmas card mailing.  After I lost my job at the bank I couldn't afford that particular extravagance any more.  


Fast forward to today.  Now that I have my mortgage paid off I can indulge.....a little bit anyway.  I can't put out $1,000 for my annual vanity photo session but I do have some disposable income to indulge myself.


Last year I had my photo shoot at J C Penneys at the Dover Mall.  It didn't go well because I was distracted and stressed because of two little girls screaming and chasing each other while the photographer was taking my pictures.  I have a hard enough time smiling on command (I'm a spontaneous smiler) but it was obvious that my smiles were forced as I listened to the piercing screams of the two little girls running around.  


Significant Other and I shop a lot at Walmart.  I've noticed while I'm in the checkout line the Walmart photo studio on the other side of the checkout lines.  Knowing Walmart, I suspected that I could get my photos taken at their photo studio but I didn't want to join all the moms and kiddies who were usually packed into the photo center.  But this summer I noticed two gay guys (my gaydar was working) enter the photo center and there were no moms or kiddies around.  I thought to myself "Now this will take some investigation." 


If a couple of older gay men were willing to use the Walmart photo studio, why not me?  The only thing was I had to time it just right.  I had to arrange an appointment for a photo shoot when the moms and kids weren't around.  I don't need any distractions.  


On Friday, when Bill and I were stocking up on Walmart's low priced goods, I noticed NO ONE at the photo studio.  After checking out I walked over to the girl at the desk.  She was making telephone calls to former customers offering them a discount to drum up business.  Hey, this was a good time.  The Christmas Rush was finished and it was before the Valentine and Easter Rush.  A good time to have my photo session!


I arrived yesterday right on time.  Vanessa was my photographer.  After filling out my information on the sheet of paper she handed me she asked me if I wanted my first picture taken on the floor?  Say what?  Uh......I don't think so.  I think she had me confused with the little babies who usually come in for pictures.  And, the "floor" she was talking about was a nasty looking, faux white fur rug.  Perchance did she think I wanted one of those nude baby photos showing my butt cheeks.  OMG.  No one wants to see that!  I answered "No" of course.


Then everything went uphill from there.  She had some wonderful suggestions for poses with the result being I got my  best portrait photo ever!  Who would've thunk?  


I don't have the finished product yet but what I can say is that Vanessa performed magic and she captured the essence of Ron!  She performed a miracle in making this 69 year old, gray and grizzled, skinny prospector type of gay guy look good.  I knew it! I had a gut feeling that Walmart would take the best picture.  And I got the whole package of pictures, including an 11" X 13" that she threw in for free (I'm such a charmer) for just over $50!  


I don't have the finished pictures yet (January 12th they will be ready) but be prepared for a fantastic new profile picture of me on this page and my Facebook account.  


More proof that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good product.  


I love Walmart! 







18 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Wow, I'll say she worked wonders. That photo, man, she got all the wrinkles out, even put more hair on your head. I have to admit, and remember this is coming from a straight guy, you look gorgeous. I never knew you went in for the fancy bracelets, though.

    I don't know why you are holding your head. Headache? More little cartwheeling girls going by?

    Still no smile, either, but you know something, I never notice what big beautiful eyes you have.

    Yeah, I'd say $50 bucks was worth it, you look years younger. :)

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Lar, I told you she performed a miracle! I look just like a young Hedy Lamarr in this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrinkles? What wrinkles? I have wrinkles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I'd say it, but you look better without the beard and with longer hair, Ron. Indeed, after looking at this photo, I wonder if I have latent gay tendencies, as I find myself thinking you're looking particularly attractive...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 50 bucks? I think it's too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't you just have Bill take your picture or does he look down on that? And why didn't he go with you for a Couples shot like those other two guys?
    We once had our pictures taken at a studio and they had us on the floor. It was so riduculous and I felt like a fool. I never sit on the floor. But I guess it's suppose to look casual. But if they knew me, they would know that I'm not the "casual" type.
    Anyway, did you ever buy a new camera like you were talking about over this past Summer? I have a Sony which takes great pictures but if you are investing, I think that Cannon is the way to go.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim,
    The picture on this blog IS NOT A PICTURE OF ME. The picture that I posted is of the most beautiful face ever to grace the silver screen. That is a picture of my straight fantasy....Hedy Lamarr. You see, I cannot stay away from here. If anything, I have latent hetereosexual tendancies. You my friend are 100% straight. No worries there mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark,
    Bill hates taking my picture or any pictures. He always acts dumb when I hand him a camera to take a picture. My best friend Bob M. has dementia and he can't figure out how to use a camera now. My other friend Bob C. doesn't like me asking him to take a picture either. Sometimes I wish I had a friend who likes taking pictures as much as I do. Alas, I don't have that friend. Wayne (The Cajun even acts annoyed when I ask him to take my picture.) So that's why I have the annual official portrait picture taken.
    No, I didn't get a new camera. I have a Cannon now and I'm very pleased with it. I may get another one this year but I don't want to spend $700 for one. I don't need the video aspect but I guess that comes with the camera. I would like a camera that I can manual focus. I'll do some checking this year. I like your pictures and am inspried to get a new camera when I see the results you get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tai,

    $50 isn't much for a set of pictures, especially considering when I used dto spend almost a $1,000. Fifty bucks is a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim,
    Another note on Hedy Lamarr, doesn't she have a timeless beauty? Breathtaking. Beauty for the ages. I don't know of any woman who even comes close to her perfection of feminine beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you go and get your picture taken annually. What a great thing to do : )

    I laughed out loud about the girl asking if you want to sit on the floor on a furry throw. I can just look at your tiny profile picture and know you are not a floor sitter!

    Nice to meet you. Wishing you many, many more wonderful portrait sessions : )

    PS I work in Philly almost every day. Not at a bank though : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ron,

    Hey, I'll take your picture when we come down in a couple weeks.

    I still vote for Ingmar Bergman.

    lar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your comment Kaishon. You are right, I do not lay on the floor for my photo sessions! I think she was on automatic since she takes pictures of so many kids.

    I wish you the best in this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll take you up on your offer to take my picture Larry. You are a good photographer. In fact, I think you're the only friend I have to takes pictures and is good at it. I'll take some pictures of you and the Little Lady too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I won't go to Walmart lest someone take my photo and I end up on "People of Walmart" !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spo,

    Oh yes, I know of the "People of Walmart." Long ago I resigned myself to the fact that Significant Other and I are THOSE PEOPLE. Look carefully in the next "People of Walmart" e-mail that makes the rounds, you'll see the goofy old gay couple. THAT"S US! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ron, your comments and quips are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Cubby! Life is funny isn't it? Did you read Jason's blog about his prostate exam? Too funny! I"ll have to write a blog about mine. My brother also had "fun" time with his prostate. Have you had a prostate exam?

    ReplyDelete