Monday, November 17, 2014

Prostate Update



Medical update here.  My latest PSA score inched up a bit from 1.1 to 1.2.  Not a lot by most measures but the fact is that it DID go UP.  It is supposed to be going down.  Of course this could be just a blip or it could be an indication that my seed implants of May 2013 are no longer working.  What is continuing to work is the side effects which I won't go into here.

Hopefully the results of my next blood test will be more positive.  However, if they are not, I have decided not to go on the Medical Treadmill of additional procedures like Lupron injections which basically turn you into a woman with side effects like hot flashes and breast growth and diminished sex drive.  Sounds like fun doesn't it?




I've also decided not to look at the website "Inspire" which is a public forum of other men with prostate cancer.  It's just way too depressing to read of some of their severe conditions, side effects and searches for new procedures to "save" them.  

Having just turned 73 years of age, I know I've had a good run.  Hopefully I'll have many more years of a healthy, active life.  But if that is not in my future, I have made my decision.  One thing I am sure of, I will not spend my remaining days hooked up to IV's, downing pain killers and battling nasty side effects to gain a little more time on this earth.  When my quality of my life is gone, I'm gone.  Yes, I said it.  And I'm glad I did. I have a plan. I've always had a Life Plan during my life and I am not making an exception at the end of my life. 

In the meantime, I plan to do a lot of living. Next on the agenda is Los Angeles, California.  I'll be flying out January 7th from Philadelphia and meeting Pat who is flying out from Toronto, Canada.  We'll be staying at the Historic Hollywood Hotel near the Universal Studios.  Might take a day trip to Palm Springs to see what all the fuss is about.  We'll return to our respective cities January 17th.  


Los Angeles at night - we'll be two more lights

It's all good folks!  All gravy time now.



10 comments:

  1. Ron - I don't know what the numbers mean that you mention regarding prostate cancer - but they are still very low numbers I believe. And maybe it's as you say - just a blip at the time of the test. Something like how one's heart pressure can change due to a transitory circumstance. I'm betting you've got lots and lots of years left - to do good things like the trip to LA.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    I'm hoping this increase in my PSA is just a "blip" too. I am planning on having a lot more healthy, active years on this planet. Plans are being made now but sometimes I can't help being concerned with what's always lurking there, just in the background. Just being open and honest about my feelings here.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Just remember what you were told even before you got the seeds, "At your age you'll probably die of something else before prostate cancer kills you." It's a slow cancer and your increased scores are very small. Other factors can cause fluctuations in test results. I think you'll be around a good while longer and probably in pretty good shape.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep telling myself Larry. But just in case I do get the word that I'm on my way out, I'm going to have control over those circumstances, you better believe that.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. If you go to palm springs I have a lot of suggestions for you. Hopefully they won't shock Patrick much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      It doesn't take too much to shock Pat. I'm up for your suggestions though. I don't mind shocking him.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:50 AM

    Just one more link for your prostate collection:
    http://theprostatedecision.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/prostate-cancer-question-describe-significant-psa-pre-and-post-prostatectomynanoknifeproton-beamhifuradiation-therapy/
    Please read the 8th "post treatment" item. It may be your case. I hope you will never need Lupron.
    Juan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I love Palm-Springs, not in summer, but it really is a pretty place. We also will have to plan to meet in L.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      We will definitely meet. There is no way we would go to LA and not meet you. We're both looking forward to meeting you very much.
      Ron

      Delete