Monday, November 10, 2014

First Day of the Rest of My Life


Let's do this ride!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.  Actually, this is the first day of the rest of everyone's life.  But, this blog is all about me so here goes.  Today I enter Year seventy-four. Never in a million years did I imagine I would ever reach seven score and four. 

Oh, excuse me, my phone is ringing again.  "Out of area".  Of course it's "Out of area."  Funny thing happened when I contributed to two local political campaigns a month ago.  About a week after I contributed my "Out of area" and "Unavailable" calls increased five fold.  Yep, someone passed/sold my name to "charities" as a soft touch.  How do I know?  Well for one thing, I now get about six phones calls a day whereas before I foolishly made the contributions I only received one or two.    Ask me if I'm going to EVER make a contribution to a political campaign again . . . . NO.  No good deed goes unpunished.  And by the way, both candidates lost.  

Yesterday I was heartened by all the "Happy Birthdays" I received on my Facebook account.  Even from my Republican conservative relatives (which is almost all of my relatives, me being the black sheep of the family being gay and not subscribing to the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that was previously observed in my family until I came busting out of the door. What a nice gesture by all those folks.  Thanks everyone.

I'm working at the hotel tonight and tomorrow night instead of my usual Wednesday and Thursday gig.  Change up is nice.  Also this will make for a long layover until I have to go back to for on November 19th.  Nice to work and nice to have time off.  That's another reason I like to work, I appreciate my time off.  

The frost last night pretty well put the kaibosh on my remaining flowers.  Time to clean out those no longer pretty flowers and plant my winter pansies and spring bulbs. 

I've been binging on the HBO series "Breaking Bad" via my Netflix queue. I had planned to watch Season Two last night but my DVD wasn't delivered on time.  Talk about withdrawal.  My last DVD left off where Walter White and Jesse were going to start up their meth lab again in that broken down RV camper.  First Jesse has to clean all that port-Johnny shit off of him.  Oh how I LOVE that show.  

So here we go folks, Ron enters Year 74.  What a life I've had and there's more to come!






16 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Keep on rollin' along and enjoy life as it comes. There is always something to do, work, garden change up etc. and that will keep you going. I have so much to catch up on after a summer spent going to various hospitals for all kinds of tests to find out why I have no energy and breathing problems. All tests are complete, a diagnosis has been made, new medications soon to be prescribed and present medications adjusted. I hope I can soon catch up on some of the normal everyday projects I have had to put on the back burner and get back into the swing of things. I didn't mean this to be about me but I can appreciate where you are coming from, and the importance of having "things to do" and being able to do them.
    You're 74 years and still going strong, how can you ask for more?
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack,
    No need to apologize for your comments "I didn't mean this to be all about me." I appreciate those personal comments. We're both older now and experiencing life in a different way. I also tire easily and sometimes have problems breathing. I don't feel like I'm getting a full breath. I hesitate going to the doctor's and getting on another medical treadmill though and try to make the best of what I have. So far so good as long as I get my rest. When I don't, I wind down like an old clock.
    You're right, I'm 73 years "young" (starting on my 74th year, I'm not 74 yet until next November). You better believe I'm making every day count.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look happy, and that's what really counts!!!
    I'm just a wee 62 ( ugh) and feel pretty good except for arthritis type stuff and other ailments.
    But you're right ,, make everyday count!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. christina,
      Oh I have the aches and pains too. I just plow through them.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:57 PM

    I doubt you will make it to ‘seven score and four’ since by my calculation that is 150 years, lol. You’ve done good to make it to three score and fourteen though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:14 PM

      What a dummy I am! 144, not 150.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous,
      And here all my life I thought "four score and ten" was eighty. I'm the dummy here.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Yep, Ron, all the way to 144! WOOHOO! I hope to make it half that far! Glad you have such a bright outlook as you approach halfway through your second century! HAHAHAHA

    Happy birthday, my friend!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I may have more aches and pains and trying to stay one step ahead of the doctors but I have to admit, this is the best time of my life. All gravy now.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron - you are the youngest 73 year old I know - or have ever known. Attitude sure can keep one spirited. Can't wait to get together again.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      And you are the youngest 65 year old I've ever known. Attitude is the key, no doubt about that! Looking forward to our next adventure!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. nono no no
    time to dig the grave and crawl in and wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      The grave is ready (on a hillside in Downingtown, PA) but I'm not ready to go yet! Lots of living left to do.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Sorry old friend, but I slept through your day, as you'll find out if you visit my place. Hope you had a good day and you're ready for what the coming year holds.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the cajun,
      For a moment there I was waxing nostalgic about our annual birthday get togethers. Maybe later when you feel like venturing out. Let's try Modern Mixture Too in Milton.
      Ron

      Delete