Sunday, November 09, 2014

Happy Birthday Ron!

This morning I woke up a year older.  Today folks I am 73 years old.  How did THAT happen?  I was supposed to check out at 60. Talk about someone past their expiration date. But here I am folks, sound of mind (sort of) and body (more "sort of"). Still making waves, ruffling feathers, causing people to scratch their heads with "Is HE still here?"  

Yes folks, when many of my contemporaries and quite a few of them younger than me, are GONE, GONE, GONE; I'm still here.

First thing I do when I get up in the morning is to check my iPhone on my bed stand to see if I received any mail during the night.  Usually there are one or two messages.  This morning where were TWENTY-NINE!  My first thought was "What's gong on?"  Then when I checked I found out what was going on, there were notifications from Facebook of some of my Facebook friends wishing me a happy birthday.  "Now wasn't that nice?" I thought.  

I have to tell you folks, that made me feel good. By the way, the latest count is seventy Facebook  "Happy Birthday" messages.  Thanks folks.  Funny thing though, no messages from my family but it's always been that way.  I'm the black sheep of my family, preferring not to live a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" life and to spare them the embarrassment of having a gay brother/uncle/cousin.  But I'm to going to go down that negative lane today. But it would be nice if I received at least one "Happy Birthday" message from a close relative. But my dear cousin Elaine (whose husband and son are also named "Ron") sent me a beautiful birthday card.  Also, my longtime friend Don McK. of Philadelphia didn't forget my birthday either.  Thanks Don!





So do I have anything special planned for my special day?  Not really. Just another quiet day here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  My good neighbor Barb called and offered to take me out to dinner for my birthday.  We do this every year.  She takes me out, I take her out (her birthday is this time next month).  That's nice.  

I just got back from Staples.  I bought myself a birthday present.  A new scanner.  I deserve it plus I still have "tons" of photos to scan for my faithful blog followers.

Going to have some lunch now, take a nap and then get back on this computer to see who all sent me good wishes.  But I have to tell you folks, the older I get the less "special" the birthdays are.  Probably because my birthday doesn't seem to matter to close friends (where are you Lar and Bill B?) I've known over the years and relatives (both brothers and all my nieces and nephews).  Bill and Pat are the only exceptions.  They both wished me a "happy birthday" this morning.  The others? It's called "being taken for granted." 
Do I sound like I'm complaining?  Not really.  Just a tinge of sadness.  No biggie though.

Me and my Mom, November 1941 - The Beginning

My Mom told me I was born at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning.  She was sharing a room with a woman who was dying of cancer.  She said I was born amid the screams of the dying woman who obviously was not on pain killers.  So here we are on another Sunday morning, seventy-three years later.  Lots of water under the bridge folks but I'll tell you one thing, I've had one very interesting life.  And for the most part, a very good life.  All my dreams have been realized.  Of course there were a few "valleys" but I was always able to survive.  How much longer I'll survive? It's all gravy now folks.  I'm happy now and that's all that counts.

Have a great day!





24 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I sent you birthday greetings on Facebook, that is where I was. I welcomed you to the age as another step toward a 100. Must be lost somewhere in all those notices you got. I hope you have an aggravation filled day and go eat some cake and don't worry about the waistline for one day!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise, surprise, surprise! Thank you Lar!

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    I said it on Facebook but I'll say it again, happy birthday. This is your day so enjoy and do whatever you want "just for you".
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack. A quiet day . . . . so far.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Ron!!! I hope you enjoy your birthday dinner this evening. I expect you to hang out for many years to come, writing on your blog for others enjoyment. You are a very special gentleman!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. I expect to hang out for many more birthdays but I am way past my expiration date. I figured I would be long one by now. Who would have thought in the game of Life Musical Chairs, I would be one of the few left? I'll take it!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Ron!
    From your 100th follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ubisofty,
      Hey! So you're my 100th follower? Thank you so much and thank you for the birthday greeting.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Many happy returns!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Andy. Your comments and well wishes are always appreciated.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Dedeoutwest7:26 PM

    Dear Ron,
    Here's wishing you a very happy birthday and hoping that delicious cake was involved!
    Keep on blogging--you have many fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedeoutwest,
      Thank you very much. I appreciate all my followers. That's why I blog!
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I am one of those Facebook HB Wishers! HAHAAHA My chronological disability means that I love FB to remind me.
    And don't apologize for still being around. I was also supposed to be gone, based on my dad, his dad, his granddad, and the same on my mother's side, coupled with alcoholism, etc. I cherish every day I wake up. And I am happy every day that I wake up and find my friends like you STILL HERE!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Word for word, I agree with you! I am so thankful that I am still here. I can feel my age a bit more now but I can still get up in the morning and put in a pretty full day. I too cherish every day.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Ron, Happy birthday wishes to you from your friend in Nebraska. You said you feel your age now, you're still handsome and a hottie at seventy three! I hope you're here to wish me a happy 73 years birthday. When you and Pat travel to Los Angeles this January, I wish you and Pat could make a side stop to Omaha on your way back to Delaware and Ont. But I'm in a red state, they're just to fly over. lol. Oh by the way I've got something big brewing here in the next few months, more info coming later. Have a great week! Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Thank you for your very generous compliments. All accepted and filed. Sorry but we will be flying over Nebraska. Pat and I are taking separate flights and will meet in LA. You know us "coasters", we just go from one coast to the other. I might turn straight if I spent any time in a red state. "Something big" going on? Oh I hope you met someone. That would be wonderful Randy.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. Oh Lord! - blush, blush, blush - How on earth COULD I have missed it, Ron, especially since you had taken so much trouble over greeting me on my own day three weeks ago? And you ARE on my list too! Unforgivable! - so I abase myself asking you to overlook this totally unintentional slight (grovel, grovel).

    However, this must be about YOU:-
    I wish you most sincerely very many happy returns for yesterday and a coming year full of joyful surprises, happy friendships and, above all, a state of ruddy health enabling you to enjoy all you wish to. I know you'll continue to let us know what you're up to, with any changes in your life - may ALL of them be positive. I hope only the best for you and yours - and my pussycats have asked especially that they be included in these birthday salutations to you. Continue going well, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Thank you for your birthday wishes, especially the groveling part. I love to see a man grovel (smile). And now I embark on my 74th year. Who would've thunk? It's all good though. I'm having the best time of my life except for my body slowly falling apart.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. Wow Ron - so many Facebook greetings and now all these blog good wishes. And it's because we want you around for a lot of good times and for a long time. Look at us - who would of thought we'd end up in LA next year. Life is worth living!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. May this next year be full of eggplant parm and warm fuzzies and good whisky.

    ReplyDelete