Sunday, November 02, 2014

Daylight Savings Time Ends



Did you remember to turn your clocks back last night? Or this morning to be precise (2 AM)?  

I hate changing time.  Probably because I have so many clocks.  At last count I have about 47 clocks to change.  Yes Virginia, I have THAT many clocks (and watches) at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  Why?  Because I like clocks.  It's one of my many weird fetishes.  

First thing this morning, groggy from a late night of binge watching "Breaking Bad" in the Tipton Cinema, I started to change the twelve clocks in my bedroom and bathroom. Even before my morning pee, I was changing clocks, that's how much I just want to get this chore out of the way.



What is especially frustrating is that there is no one standard way to change the time.  Some of my clocks are digital, and every one of them is different.  What's that all about anyway?  Can't somebody standardize these things like a typewriter keyboard is standardized.

After I finished changing my bedroom clocks, and performing my bathroom ritual (peeing, shaving, and seeing if my face was still there), I rounded the corner from my bedroom to the kitchen.  Here are another whole new set (seven) of clocks demanding to be changed.



I changed those clocks, leaving the two high on the wall for Bill to change.  He needs to pull out the ladder for those babies.

I took a break to have breakfast.  My usual bran flakes with almond milk and strawberries.  Thus fortified I headed to my home office to change those clocks (another seven).  


Did you ever notice that when you're on a mission like this there is always one clock that presents a major challenge?  This one was the crystal clock that Pat gave me that he received from his retirement.  Pat is a minimalist and thus didn't want the clock. And you know me, I always have room for one more clock.  Well, changing the time on that clock had me stumped. But you know me, I don't give up easily.

Pat's retirement clock
After about ten minutes of intense brainstorming I finally figured out who to get to the mechanism that changes the time (I'm not telling you).  But what still has me puzzled though is who do I change the battery?  Is there a battery? I do not know.  It's an expensive Swiss clock so maybe it runs forever.  I'll sure find out.

So, enjoy the extra hour of sleep that you're now going to get folks.  And now we begin the great countdown to spring.



12 comments:

  1. Goodness me! With all those clocks around it sounds like a major expense of energy. I hope that they all keep such good time that you don't feel the need to check on each one every time you go near it, which must be pretty well non-stop. I think it would drive me near-demented - not to mention all that audible ticking, let alone striking the hour (and perhaps more frequently for some?).

    We had our annual fiasco of put-back last week-end, which is always three weeks later than the rest of Europe - though when going forward in March for some reason they do synchronise the day. Have no idea why they don't do it together on both occasions. All one can do is to sigh "heigh-ho" and then get on with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Actually, I hear very little ticking. Not like the clock shops in the movies with the loud ticking. Most of our clocks are run by batteries anyway. Lots of battery changing. I used to have the chime clocks chime but that got annoying after awhile so I turn the chimes off. I do like my clocks though. I never have to look far to find out what time it is.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    With that many clocks sounds you have no excuse to be late for anything. Your post reminds me of the first Back to the Future movie when Marty McFly was in the Doc's home and all the clocks chimed at once (at least I think it was that movie). I like clocks but my favorite kind are anniversary clocks, the kind with the glass domes and the little balls that turn back and forth.
    Based on your previous post about Pat's coffee table I got the impression that he is not going to relocate from Toronto to Delaware, at least in the near future. That's too bad if true.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I have one of those glass dome clocks. I love it. My clocks don't tick tock like the exaggerated ones that you hear in the movies in the old clock keepers store.
      You're right about Pat not moving in the near future. He hit a snag with his dual citizenship but more than that, when I visited him at his home in Toronto this past August I realized that the change for him would be so great that I advised him against moving, at least for now. He loves his home and loves Toronto, where he was born and has always lived. Moving to Milton Delaware would be such a culture shock for Pat I'm afraid he would end up moving back to Toronto anyway. So for the time being we're having a long distance relationship with occasional visits. Next up is our trip to Los Angels in January. Then in the spring Pat will visit Delaware and in the summer I'll visit him again in Toronto. This arrangement is working out best for us now.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Two alarm clocks...everything else is automatic! Love it!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I should pare down. I definitely don't need all these clocks.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Long distance relationships are so difficult! Barry and I live 3 hours apart by car. With our present health concerns, it has become impossible to visit and see one another.

    Previous long distance relationships involving persons in Fayetteville, Salisbury, and Durham in the past did not work out either.

    Thank goodness for unlimited phone calls in this day and age instead of long distance calling as in the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Actually, my long distance relationship works pretty good. Pat and I will never live together. We'll visit each other about four times a year.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of clocks. I hate the time changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Too many clocks. I should pare down but I probably won't. I hate time changes too.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Of course we don't worry about clock changes in AZ. However i've learned some wisdom in having less timepieces. The ship clock has pleasant brass chimes; and great Aunt Marion's clock does the quarter hours. There is a clock attached to the alarm station; this is all the time pieces I need or want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      When I was a child I used to spend two weeks ever summer with my step aunt Mary. Their house didn't have electricity or running water. The only sounds I heard at night was the ticking of their wind up clocks (no battery run clocks back then in the Forties). Ever since then the sound of ticking clocks has given me a sense of peace and tranquility. I think that is the root of my obsession with having so many clocks.
      Ron

      Delete