Saturday, November 01, 2014

Not Enough Hours in the Day




Halloween has come and gone.  Nary a gremlin or a ghoul stopped by Casa Tipton-Kelly last night which was just fine with me. Bill was in bed at 7:30 PM (his usual bedtime) and I was ensconced in my bedroom at the Tipton Cinema watching the last season of "Mad Men", which is turning out to be pretty lame by the way.  I can understand why this is their last season.  

Now the holidays begin in warp speed.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanza, New Year's, Martin "I have a dream!" King Day and . . . . . . wait for it . . . President's Day.  Who among us doesn't get all tingly when President's day approaches?  All those used car ads with actors playing Abe Lincoln and George Washington rushing to buy the latest used car clunker.   

The Ebola Scare has abated somewhat but not enough to prevent certain politicians from trying to score political points by showing their "leadership" qualities (Christ Christy and Mario Cuomo I'm talking to you). 

The phones continue to ring in this household from political robo calls urging me to vote for this or that candidate.  Hey, I've already decided who I'm going to vote for next Tuesday, I don't need a robo call to tell me.



Tomorrow morning we move the clocks back one hour.  Didn't we just change the clocks?  Where does the time go?  


All the years I worked I always looked forward to retiring.  For many reasons but one of the main was that I would finally have time to do what I really wanted to do.  Guess what folks?  I still don't have the time.  

Sure, I work two night a week at the hotel.  But the rest of the week I have off.  But between updating my blog daily like I'm doing now, going to the store for vitals, taking our daily ride (I like to get Bill out of true house at least once a day), preparing nutritious and healthy meals for myself (can't eat prepared food anymore, my body has rebelled), and yard work . . . I do not have the time to do some of my favorite activities. 



I could spend hours updating and checking my genealogy records.  Answering e-mail inquiries from various distant relatives.  I just don't have the time.

I could spend hours reviewing, scanning, and updating my thousands of photos.  I do little bit but not near enough to keep my files current.  

I still haven't unpacked all of the boxes from our move here in 2006.  I have a basement media room that is a storage room.  I keep saying to myself "I'll go down today and sort through that stuff."  Doesn't happen.

One thing I do do though (did I just say "do do?") folks is read.  I LOVE to read.  I usually have two books going at the same time.  One in my bathroom library and the other by my bed. The "library" book I'm reading now is a W.C. Field biography.  My bedroom book is a biography of Miss Ross also known as Diana Ross, head Supreme.  Both excellent books.  I do love to read.  I have a couple hundred books in my backlog that I haven't yet read.  I doubt if I'll get to them before I check out but it's nice to know that they're there.




Another thing I do every day is take a nap.  I have to take a nap folks.  When I was visiting Pat in Toronto this past August I didn't have time to take my daily snooze fest and I paid the price.  By the time I caught the plane home I was seeing double.  



I'm coming to the realization that I'll never get done the things I want to in my life, even though I'm "retired" now.  But I am thankful that I'm well enough and still here to do and enjoy what I can.  I take nothing for granted. I make each day count.  And believe me, I know I am one of the lucky few.  




18 comments:

  1. Love Diana Ross. I once danced with her onstage at Caesar's Palace. How's THAT for a story?

    http://ishouldbelaughing.blogspot.com/2013/03/happy-birthday-diva.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      Have you read Randy Taraborrelili's book "Diana Ross a Biography"? Very well written and balanced. I've always like Diana. I know she has this fearsome reputation as a diva. So what? I say. She is a star. So unique and talented. I've always been drawn to her. Now other diva's like Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez, not at all but Diana is "Miss Ross."
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I did read that one, Ron.
      And I just heard a great Diana story: last week she was performing in Miami and someone in the audience kept taking pictures of her with their phone.
      The Diva didn't like that, but did she go off on the audience member?
      Nope, she said, "Darling, I can't see with that flash."
      Then, she took the phone from his hands, reset the camera to take pictures without the flash and gave it back to him.
      Now THAT'S a Diva!

      Delete
    3. I love this story Bob! Diana is a diva, no doubt but she has plenty of reason to be one because she DOES have class. She cares about her fans. I love her!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great life to me Ron, even if you would like to have time to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I have a great life now. I've always had a good life. A few setbacks along the way but overall, a pretty darn good life and right now it is the best it has ever been. I hope you don't mind me bragging but I do feel like shouting from the rooftops.You understand I'm sure.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Retired or not, you better take every day as a gift, and make the most of it! I sure try. I figure if I shove it all in now, when (if!) I retire, I'll be able to do nothing! Aaaahhhhhh...hahahahaha!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Yesterday is passed and tomorrow never comes. Today is when you live and that's exactly what I do. And I'm "shoving it all in now" of that you can be sure.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    Same problem with time and I don't work any days during the week anymore. How I did all I did hen I wasn't retired is a mystery. I keep hoping some of the distractions will calm down and I can live the simple little life I want, but who know?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,

      I always seem to have the "distractions" too. Lately friends in the hospital and that one memorial service. And then my medical needs, which I never had when I was younger. Also, the daily hour to two hour nap takes a chunk out of each day. And some days I like to take an hour and just do nothing. Zone out. I never had time to do that when I was working unless you count the time I spent on the train commuting to and from Philly.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I try to do what I can, when I can, and know that I will die with a long to-do list. Few regrets, most of them what I didn't do when I had the time to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here David, I do what I can. I know I let some people down when I don't get back to them right away but I have my priorities. Blogging is perhaps the first on my list then keeping up with my e-mails. Never again do I want to let my e-mails backlog like they did last year. Whatever else I can do I'll do but some things will have to wait.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Retirement sounds almost exhausting, even 'like work' !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Guaranteed, when you retire (if you ever do), you will find the same thing . . . you'll wonder how you had time to do everything when you worked. If you're thinking of "catching up" when you're retired, it doesn't happen. I feel I keep falling farther and farther behind. One good thing about retirement though is that you get to do a lot of what you want to do instead of what your job requires you to do. And that is very satisfying.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron,
    When I retired back in 2007 at 63 years young (it seems young now that I've just turned 70) the first thing I did was decide not to expect too much of myself. I hadn't planned to retire then but my body and my mind were just exhausted and worn out. I needed about a year or so to rest but never had the strength I had even when I was in my middle fifties and early sixties. At this stage of life I have forsaken all lists of things to do and just do whatever I can and leave the rest of those who will come after me. I do have priorities and one is to maintain my Ancestry.com account. I found if it's left for too long updating is almost impossible. The other priority is reading as much as I can when I can. I have become a homebody so if I miss a couple or more days of going out, fine, no problem.
    Diana Ross is the original diva as far as I'm concerned. I know there were others before her but she came along when the media was becoming widespread so we saw much more of her on the big screen and little screen.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I'm about the same place when you retired. My mind and body was just exhausted from working so much. I will always work as long as what strength I have left holds out but I could never work full-time again.
      I didn't know you also had an Ancestry.com account. I love working on my family tree. At one time I thought I would actually have everything caught up but I now realize that is impossible. I don't have enough years left but what I have on record I feel good about. At least all that research I did won't be lost.
      Diana Ross is the original diva. I usually don't like divas but I think she deserves her diva status thus I'll give her a pass.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Retirement is more than a full time job. It's 24/7! And even though you may think you're not getting things done, it usually turns out that you're doing exactly what you want to do. And there's nobody to tell you no diff'rent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      You're exactly right. I am doing exactly what I want to do with the exception of my part-time job and that too is easier because I'm not working full-time and having a job dominating my life. I am getting things done but not as much as I would like. Still, I love retirement. I worked a long time to get where I am now and I do so appreciate it. I think of all my contemporaries who are not here not to enjoy their retirement and that's when I realize how lucky I am.
      Ron

      Delete