Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kidney Stone Moves

Early this morning, 4:30 a.m. to be precise, I awoke to a very familiar pain in my back left side. My kidney stone had moved again.  OMG, the pain.  




I could feel myself going down again.  That's the awful thing about kidney stones, when they pass the pain they cause is ever increasing.  You literally feel like you're going down.... down to the End.

I got up and struggled downstairs to Bill's bedroom.  I told him "I think I may have to go to the emergency room again."  He said "Are you sure?"  Then I thought, what good would that do except to administer another pain killer and take another CAT-SCAN? I know what the problem is.....my kidney stone hasn't passed....YET.  

I have an appointment with my urologist this afternoon at 2:30 pm.  I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AGAIN but I had to stop this pain.  I went upstairs and got my pain medication.  It is a generic of Oxycodone called Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen.  I never put much faith in pain killers before, especially because of the side effects of nausea and constipation but I was willing to try anything this morning just to STOP the pain. 

I took one pill  and sat in the still dark sunroom with Bill by my side.  After about five minutes of intense pain, I felt like I wasn't falling anymore.  After about fifteen minutes the pain was actually bearable. These pills don't act as fast as the intravenous injections of pain killers that were given to me in the emergency room but they were working, thank God.  

After another fifteen or so minutes I got up and went into my bed and laid down on my bed, fully clothed.  Bill came in with me and sat in the easy chair by my bed that I use to watch TV.  I drifted off to sleep.  I awoke about an hour and a half later, feeling like a human being again.  The pain, dull, was still there but not the intense pain when I woke up.

Bill left and I continued to sleep another hour or so.  I got up and made some instant oatmeal for my breakfast.  The pain is returning.  I took another painkiller pill.  Hopefully it is taking effect as I type this.

It is now 8:43 a.m.  We will leave here around 2 pm for my appointment with my doctor.  I still haven't passed my kidney stone.  I will insist he do something to remove it even if it means it has to be blasted.  This has to end.  

8 comments:

  1. Sadly, sometimes there is no permanent end. a friend sent this and I've been ingesting it 2 or 3 times a week, hoping to ward off any stones that may be forming.

    /Users/waynejuneau/Pictures/kidneystone_remedy.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the cajun,

      Now I know what you went through when you "rode out" one of your several kidney stone passages. I just did not want to go to the ER again this morning. I took my pain killer pills this morning and rode out the pain for about a half an hour before I was human again. I have my pills handy.

      Thanks for sending this link. I will definitely check it out. This kidney stone thing is getting SO OLD. The novelty has completely worn off. I want it to end.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron - I am so sad and miserable that you are going thru all this and I'm far away and I can't help - besides good wishes and prayers. I know of preventative ingredients, as others have mentioned, that you can take so, hopefully, this won't happen again. Ron you are so kind hearted and generous it makes this ordeal even more odious. Hoping they can blast that thing away at you hospital visit today.

    Yours Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      You are a sweet, kind and gentleman to care so much. I'll get through this current health imbroglio. I am reluctant to say "crises" because so many others have gone through the same thing and worse. The only thing with kidney stones is that when they pass they literally take you to the ground. I still haven't passed this latest one and that concerns me but at least I see a light at the end of the tunnel. If it doesn't pass in five days laser surgery is planned for me. Thank you so much for your concern.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, as terrible as this may sound, the pain means that the stone is not lodged any more and is on the move, and you are closer to passing it. I'll be interested in what your urologist says this afternoon.

    Hang in there and use the pain pills as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      You're right, my kidney stone is on the move. Now if it would just move right out of my body I'll be a happy man.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I like the top pix; you must feel exactly like that! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      That is EXACTLY the way I feel with this frigging kidney stone!

      Ron

      Delete