Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Visit to My Urologist

Urology Associates of Delaware - their steady "customer" - me

Just got back from my urologist.  I still have my kidney stone.  

He said that my kidney stone is "right on the border" for laser removal because of its size which is .6 millimeters.  He said if it was .8 millimeters or higher he would send me down to Beebe Hospital immediately for laser removal surgery.  He said if the size of my kidney stone was .2 millimeters we would just wait until it passed of its own accord.  But because I am "right on the border" of the size, he wants to give it another five days.  Then if it hasn't moved, he will perform laser surgery to blast the kidney stone.  In the meantime he has scheduled an EKG just in case I have to have surgery.  My cardiologist's office will contact me.

Me filling out the forms at my urologist's office

My doctor also told me that if I experience any extreme pain again to call him immediately which I will.  God, I hope I don't have to go through that again.  I was experiencing that again this morning until I took my pain killer pills.  They took about a half an hour to kick in but they were effective.  I spent most of today lying in bed, only getting up for a light lunch.  

Bill and I are going out for dinner at the Bay Leaf Restaurant about an hour from now.  A few months ago we began going out on Monday nights to the Bay Leaf which is right up the road in Milton.  It's not a crowded restaurant nor is it noisy.  Of course now I will have to look for a vegetarian entree now that my new BF from Canada (Pat) has introduced me to a healthier way of life.  

Carrot curry soup at Nectar in Lewes, DE

I called work and told them of my situation that I might have a kidney stone attack while at work.  My boss told me that my co-worker has offered to take my shift tomorrow night.  That is a relief.  I would hate to have a kidney stone attack while on the phone making a reservation or running upstairs  to deliver fresh towels to a room that was shortchanged by housekeeping.  

Me waiting for my doctor in my "room"

I'm feeling a bit guilty for writing so much about my health situation but this is what is going on in my life now.  Poor Bill, it is wearing on him as well as someone else, whose name I won't mention (he knows who he is).  I promise, I'll be back to the Old Ron soon enough.  I do so appreciate everyone's concern.  It means a lot to me.  

Poor Bill, one of the people I'm putting through the wringer with my current health problems

16 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Don't quite know what to say, you're between a rock and a hard place (no pun intended). I have learned in the past year while my mother was in hospice care it's all about pain management. If you're RX allows you to take the pills on a regular basis, do it. If they are on a as needed basis, take when you feel the first twinge. I'm not a doctor but did work in the medical field. Also, take one before bed just to ward off the evil stone's pain, hopefully you won't have to wake up to full blown pain. Personally I don't like to take what you're taking because I get exactly what you get especially the constipation. It's like trading one problem for another. In any event, I'm still praying that you will get through this "bump" in the road and be back to normal very soon.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,

      I always considered myself to have a high pain threshold but passing a kidney stone is another whole experience. It scares me. I feel like I'm going down and not coming back. I literally cannot stand the pain. It is breathtaking. I managed to get through it this morning. I have another five days to go to either pass this stone or have it blasted at the end of the five days. I hope never again in my lifetime to experience something like this. Thank God the pain medication pills I took worked. They were slower than the intravenous injection but they still worked. Even though I hate being constipated I'll take that over the pain. I guess I'm just a big sissy after all.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    Also, Bill is a sweetheart. I am sure it's hard on him but when we love the person we're with, that's what we do. You are a sweetheart to be worried about him, it shows your true character. God bless you both.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,

      Bill is a sweetheart. He has one of the biggest hearts that I know. I don't like upsetting him like this. I'll be glad when this is all over and we can get back to our normal routine of fussing and fightin.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. damn, I was hoping for better news today. :(

    lucky for you that you have bill to lean on, as well as all of us in the cyberworld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I am VERY lucky to have Bill to lean on. I know it is a cliche but Bill has always been there for me, always.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I am glad you and Bill are going out tonight! I sure hope that stone gets moving "out" really soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      It was good that Bill and I went out tonight. It's been awhile since we went out together. We had a good time. We need that time together.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. This, too, shall pass. Sorry, couldn't help it! You're lucky you've got Bill to be there for you as you go through this misery. I'd be doing it alone.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Believe it or not just today I was thinking of those who have to experience this alone. I am so very lucky to have Bill. He is always there for me, always.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron - I really enjoyed the comments of your readers today. Not that I don't everyday - but just the concern for you and the gratefulness for Bill was kind of special. I am anxious to hear how your next 5 days go. I hope it was somewhat reassuring having consulted with your doctor. It'll be great when this is just a memory.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I am very thankful for my blogger friends. A whole new universe opened to me when I started my blog. What a nice surprise.

      I still haven't passed my kidney stone. This morning I awoke with the pain again in my right side and nausea. I had to take my painkiller medicine and lay down for about a half an hour for it to take effect. Most of the pain is gone now but I am still woozy and experiencing nausea. This nausea is getting to be a regular thing with me. Thank goodness I don't have to go to work today I hope this clears up by Saturday when I'm scheduled to go in for four days in a row on this last big summer weekend, Labor Day Weekend. I have a strong feeling the only way I'm going to get rid of this kidney stone is for them to blast it out. Yet another invasive procedure on my body. It's getting old Pat, real old. I look forward to the day when I can get back to my regular routine.

      I hope you have a wonderful day, this last day of your employment. Now you will enter the world of us Retirees. It is a wonderful world as long as you can keep the doctors at bay!

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Randy in NEB2:22 AM

    Ron, I too was hoping you would have better news. I don't know about you, but the waiting game is always the worst part. It is good that you and Bill going out, try and take your mind off this. And hopefully you'll pass your stone and not have to go in and get it blasted. I found a birthday card that I gave to a friend when he turned 50yrs."Old age isn't for sissies." Being from Nebraska I don't know if I could go all vegetarian. I like my beef and pork but now I cut down on the meat portions. And eat more chicken and turkey and lean ham. But hey if it works for you and have more energy, I say go for it! Driving to work today, I was listening to the radio. You Got A Friend by James Taylor was playing and I was thinking of you. So all you friends are thinking about you and sending you good thoughts :-) Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      Always good to hear from you! Yes, this waiting is the worst part. The past two mornings when I woke up I had that familiar pain in my right side. I had to take my pain medication and lay down for a half an hour for it to kick in. I'm on it now, a bit woozy. Still haven't passed my kidney stone. I have a feeling that my doctor will have to blast it out, this kidney stone isn't coming out easy.

      Last night I fell off my veggie diet, had a chicken panini sandwich. Tasted good! However, I think I will pretty much stick with my vegetarian diet because it feels good for my stomach. I never was much of a beef eater.

      "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor? You know you have a friend here Randy. We're friends and I look forward to meeting you next April and introducing you to all new blogger friends. I want to see that smile on your face when you meet them and they meet you. Mark will be there to take photos.

      Have a great day Randy!

      Ron

      Delete
  8. I am glad to see you surrounded by friends and good feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you really are being plagued by those pesky stones. All I hope is that the problem will pass quickly (no pun intended??). I can certainly attest to the fact that there is nothing - - and I mean NOTHING - more painful than a kidney stone. Keep drinking lots of liquids and hang in there.....

    ReplyDelete