Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Prostate Update

The door to my doctor's office at the VA Outpatient Clinic


Good morning folks!  I'm delaying the next installment of "Roads Not Taken" for one day.  Partly because I was called into work yesterday unexpectedly due to an emergency so I wasn't able to complete my blog post.  I'm also working today and tomorrow.  Another three day work week thus putting be behind in my normal activity.

Also, this morning I had a much anticipated visit with my doctor at the VA Outpatient Clinic in Georgetown.  This is the visit where I would know the results of my labs (blood test) that I took on Monday.  Why is this blood test so important?  It is the first blood test since my prostate surgery on May 2nd in which I had radioactive seeds implanted into my prostate gland to fight my prostate cancer.  To say I was concerned about the results of my blood test and PSA score would be a very big understatement.  Yes, I was VERY CONCERNED.  Life and death matter here folks, life and death.  I had already decided that if my score didn't go down significantly I wasn't going for any further treatment.  The side effects from my brachytherapy surgery are just about all I can handle now.  

My appointment was at 9 a.m.  Right at nine a physician's assistant check's my height (6'3" - I didn't shrink).  My weight (171.2 - I just CAN'T seem to lose that extra 10 pounds of that I picked up somewhere over the past few years or else my clothes weigh a lot more these days), and my blood pressure was 118 over 66 (which he said was good).  Then I snuck in a question "What's my PSA score?"  Before my surgery it was 8.4.  Anything over 4.0 is cause for concern.  He said "The doctor will tell you when he goes over your labs with you."  

My doctor's desk (he was away on a cell phone call)

I took a good look on his face to show if he was showing any signs of my imminent doom.  He was as expressionless as George Zimmerman was when he heard the jury's verdict and was exonerated for his killing of Trayvon Martin....nothing.  Then, just as I was getting up to go into the doctor's office he said "Your PSA is 1.9".  I let out a YELP!  I said "You just made my day!  That is GREAT!"  He looked at me and put his finger to his lips and said "Shhhh! Don't let the doctor know I told you."  

Of course I couldn't hide my glee.  I said "This is better than winning the lottery!"  I saw him smile. When I went into the doctor's office I tried to put on my George Zimmerman Bland Look but I wasn't successful....he knew I knew.  

So folks.....my PSA score is 1.9!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you could have seen how happy Bill was when I got in our car and told him.  He banged his hands on the steering wheel and big smile spread across his face.  This is what it's all about folks.  

A happy day today here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.

Something different - me smiling at my doctor's office (after the good news!)

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Very relieved Karen!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Karen,

      I am ecstatic right now. A natural high.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Marvelous news Ronald Tipton! Marvelous news!!!!

    A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arlene!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Wonderful news indeed! Congratulations Ron. A big weight, dark veil... has been lifted off your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      That dark cloud that's been over my head for the past two years is disappearing.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. So happy for you! Just excellent news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy here today!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. A picture is worth a thousand words. Love that happy smile on your face - says it all!! GGrrreeeaatt news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron,

    Congratulations!!!! I couldn't say more than what you've already said except good news from anyone just makes my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,

      This news made my day!

      Ron

      Delete
  8. I could not be happier for you and this great news, Ron! I hope you do something to celebrate after all the difficulty of the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony
      A happy guy here today, things are going in the right direction!

      Ron

      Delete
  9. what, they didn't make you drop 'em and spread 'em? ;-)

    YAYZ!!!!!eleventy!!!!! for a great score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I'm done with the A"drop the pants routine"!

      Ron

      Delete
  10. How do you spell R-E-L-I-E-F? One point nine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      VERY RELIEVED!

      Ron

      Delete
  11. Congrats Ron!
    Worth the pain in the nether regions after all....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'm over the worst! I feel see that dark cloud that's been following me for the past two years disappearing.

      Ron

      Delete
  12. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now you're stuck hosting us all again for the blogger-pa-looza, version 2! Did I tell you to put me on the brewery tour list?! Love ya, Ron! So happy for you!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I'm ready for next year's Bloggerpalooza!

      Ron

      Delete
  13. Ron, that is fantastic news!!! I'm relieved and happy!!

    This is the shortest comment I ever left on your blog. I'm sure that makes YOU relieved and happy (smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. Short or long, I like all of your comments. Always interesting, thoughtful, respectful and informative.

      Ron

      Delete
  14. Great news. I read it first on FB, work gets in the way of most things these days. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the cajun,

      Yes indeed, great news! I intend to be the oldest front desk clerk working in 20 years!

      Ron

      Delete
  15. IT is good to hear the tidings of great joy - best yet to see you smiling !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Nobody was happier than I was when I received this wonderful news. Now if it can keep going. I intend to be the oldest active blogger.

      Ron

      Delete
  16. Randy in NEB1:09 AM

    Ron, HOORAY and Awesome is right! That's a cat ate the canary grin if I ever seen one. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      I was VERY relieved when I got the news. Hopefully it will continue to go down. At least it's going in the right direction unlike a former friend of mine who PSA score didn't change at all after his radiation therapy.

      Ron

      Delete