Thursday, August 29, 2013

Near The End of the Season



This weekend, Labor Day weekend, is the last blast of the summer season.  While all of us permanent residents who reside in this resort area appreciate all the business, we're also happy to see the END OF THE SEASON so we can take our town back.  This year has been especially hectic because of all the new visitors from New Jersey and New York as a result of Hurricane Sandy.

In years past we would receive an occasional New Jersey license plate roll down Route 1, usually on their way to the Cape May-Lewes Ferry.  Once in a great while they would even stop by the hotel for an overnight stay but Wildwood by the Sea we're not.  However, this year is so much different.  This year we're hearing from the New Jersey folks "Oh, this is SO nice down here.  Everyone is SO nice to us."  All good things to hear, but oh the traffic.  Last week when my Canadian friend Pat was visiting, we counted the New Jersey license plates just around us as we sat in the parking lot that is Route One on Saturday afternoon.  Every car save one was a New Jersey license plate!

For real!  We really did see a Texas license plate on Route One - obviously this poor soul is lost

Each year the traffic seems to get heavier and more hectic during the summer season but this year was especially nuts.  I can't imagine what next year will bring.  

Note: my apologies for the short blog posting but I'm still dealing my kidney stone problem.  It still hasn't passed and this morning I was passing blood.  I have a call into my doctor.  I'm not in horrible pain thanks to my painkiller prescriptions but I am very tired and nervous because I'm scheduled to work this weekend, the busiest of the year, for four days in a row.  Day shift.  Pray for me.





16 comments:

  1. Ron - I can only hope that you decide to not work this long shift in your condition. Certainly it might cause some kind of inconvenience - but I'm certain the hotel folks would rather see you get better. And we know the hotel will remain standing. I'm not the most faith filled guy - but rest assured you are always in my prayers.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I'm going to try and give it a try. Bill is taking me to work and I'm only three blocks from the hospital at work, very convenient.

      Thank you so much for your concern.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:35 PM

    "Pray for me."

    Gotcha covered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Thank you sincerely.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Wow Ron you have been dealing with this far too long. Perhaps it something else? I hope the Doctor's visit is productive and you are stone free by the Labor Day weekend.

    You are in my thoughts,

    A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen,

      I talked to my doctor today. He asked me to "hang in there" as long as I could. He would rather let the stone pass naturally than do an invasive procedure but he told me if I felt I was going down to get to the emergency room in a hurry which I will. Still, it would b nice to pass this stone.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. We used to go to the beach in September/October. No one around but us. I guess as a kid it didn't matter, but now as an adult, it's OK, too. I hate traffic and crowds.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Rehoboth and Lewes in September and October is lovely. So many people miss that, probably because their kids are back in school It's my favorite time of the year, even into November. We even have nice days in January.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. :(
    (both the stone AND the weekend)

    the beach is ALWAYS nice after the high season (june, july, august)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I like the beach even in January, when the cold winds blow in from the ocean. I love the beach year round!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. This latest kidney stone sounds like it's a real bitch. I truly hope it passes soon and leaves you alone. What a horrible ordeal!

    As for the Texas license plate - - they're probably lost. Texans don't know how to read and hardly ever know where the hell they are (it's obvious how much I love the Lone Star State).

    And as for all those New Jersey license plates........I have lots of relatives in New Jersey. They all claim that they like it there, but for some strange reason they are continuously traveling to other places. They never stay in New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you lived in New Jersey, you would know why we all leave when we can.

      Delete
    2. Stan,

      I used to live in New Jersey in a previous life (1964-1965, Pennsauken near Cherry Hill). That Fourth of July was the first year we visited Rehoboth Beach. We went to Ocean City New Jersey once but it was such an unpleasant experience I never went back. And I never will. I love the Delaware shore....and Maryland....and South Carolina. I tried New Jersey twice (the other time being Atlantic City) but I never "got it." I'm happy for those who do like Snooki and the rest of THAT crowd but for me, I'll take Delaware any old time.

      Ron

      Delete
    3. Jon,

      You think west Texas is bad? You haven't experienced Hell until you've passed a kidney stone. You literally want to die just to stop the pain. It's like you're going down a deep hole with no end. It is Hell.

      You might be right about that Texas license plate! That's the first one I've ever seen in Delaware. They were probably in shock after finding out they were in such a liberal state. Had to get their asses back to Texas.

      I've lived in New Jersey. Perhaps my least favorite place to live. The "Garden State?" Hardly. More like the "Parking Lot" state. Did you know it is the most densely populated state in the nation? Also the most corrupt. You can feel it (the corruption) when you're there. Only lived there about two years then got out of there to PA.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:43 PM

    Ron - Please keep yourself VERY WELL HYDRATED. And if it gets bad, have someone take you over to hospital. ER can still do a few other things to help you thru a bad attack that don't involve an invasive procedure. They can give you IV fluids if you can't keep anything down, give you IV pain meds, take an x-ray & CAT scan to see the stone. That will let docs know the size & how close it is to passing - which is when they are especially painful. Writing from experience............s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      I'll tell you one thing, this is a helliuva way to lose weight. I figure I've lost about six pounds already. I have very little appetite. I just force the food down. Thank God I'm not throwing it up...yet. Two more days then the doc can do something about blasting this kidney stone out of my system. Then I can go back to being a normal human being.

      Ron

      Delete