Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dos Locos

Me and Pat at La Quezalteca (me after ONE margarita)


Yep, that's "Two Crazy Guys."  My friend from Toronto arrived yesterday.  We spent the day weaving our way through the tourist jammed streets of Lewes, Delaware. I foolishly suggested that we go to Rehoboth to have and old time photo taken of us.  Oh my, we sat in the parking lot called Route One for about ten minutes then I told Pat, "turn around" and we headed back to Lewes where we spent the day.  


Pat in Lewes, DE (staying at the Hotel Blue in background to left)

Pat is a vegetarian and he is introducing me to this much healthier way of eating.  Even though we started out the day at a traditional restaurant for breakfast (I wanted to introduce him to our local delicacy scrapple) we soon righted our course for lunch and had fruit and veggie smoothies with our carrot curry soup at Nectar in Lewes.


Traditional breakfast - scrapple, eggs and toast


Nectar - non traditional and healthy breakfast
Smoothies and carrot curry soup
By the way, Pat is staying at a very nice hotel, one of our competitors in Lewes, Hotel Blue.  Clean line, minimalist which is Pat.  He loves it and it has a pool!


Pat in lobby of Hotel Blue
After coming back to Casa Tipton-Kelly to meet with Bill (all my guests come back to meet My Bill), we headed out to eat again.  Rehoboth was out of the question, a Saturday night in the height of the summer tourist season?  Oh no.  I suggested we go to Milton and the Bay Leaf Restaurant.  Big mistake.  The parking lot was full.  "What going on?" I asked.  Guess what?  Elvis Appreciation Night!  I don't think so.  All I wanted was to have a quiet dinner with my Canadian friend.  

Of we go again, traversing the backroads of Sussex County, looking for a foodie destination.  I made another suggestion, the new Italian restaurant in Long Neck, La Dolce Vita.  We headed down John J. Williams highway to that shopping strip.  Couldn't find the restaurant!  Then I thought "Mexican!"  Viola!  

We went to La Quezalteca in Millsboro. Perfect!  Good food, great service and cheap.  And did I mention HOT food?  I do like me a meal served hot.  But man oh man, check this out.  Good thing I had half a margarita under my belt.  




20 comments:

  1. Well there was no doubt that that food was cooked VERY recently. I wondered if the sizzling we could hear was from the kitchens or from your plates.

    So, Pat is a veggie too. A man after my own heart. (We're taking over the world! - well, maybe sometime next millenium).

    Mexican food (with margarita on the side, of course) is my very tops as well.

    Scrapple? That's a new one on me.

    And if that's what you look like after just one marg, I'd be interested to know what you look like after your, say, third. By then I imagine you've peeled everything off. Are you going to show us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,

      That sizzling you hear is from our plates! Seriously, it is from our plates. That's the way it was delivered to us. I love it! I'm usually the one complaining that the food isn't hot enough. No complaints this time.

      I was a "semi-veggie" before Pat came down. I think he has me almost completely converted now. I'm loving the all veggie platters and my stomach is happy too!

      One margarita sends me into orbit. I don't dare do a second. One is enough Ray. I get a seriously nice buzz. One of those "fun buzzes"

      Ron

      Delete
    2. (Re: margaritas, number of) Ah, you're in the 'wise' stage, knowing when to stop. I suppose you too went through those times when, alone in a bar, desperation at having no luck fuelled one's desire to drink more and more - when all it did was to make 'luck' less and less likely, and one ending up in an unsightly, messy state, an object of general derision.

      I see from below that you and Pat have really hit it off big time. I'm jolly pleased for the two of you - only mind you don't give Bill any reason to feel jealous. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:01 AM

    The first pic of you two is cute, cute, cute!!! I have never been to that area, but from all the pics you post, it looks lovely. I live in coastal Alabama but I must make my way up there sometime. My partner, Daniel, travels a lot with his work. Hopefully they will send him near your area soon. I would love to see the town!
    Your friend, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,

      You and your partner are invited to our Bloggerpalooza which takes place in Lewes, Delaware on the weekend of April 10th, 11th and 12th of 2014. Last year was the first Bloggerpalooza and it was a terrific success. We're having one every year now. You don't have to have a blog to come. As long as you're a blogger fan. I know you would love to meet all the bloggers. Hope you can come. If you can't and you and your partner are in the area, please let me know. We can go out to lunch or dinner and meet one another.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. You two are like kids, having a good time and enjoying yourselves. That is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      You hit the nail on the head. We are "like two kids." We're having a ball. Two old men having so much fun, somehow that's just not right. The older I get the more I realize that life is just too fragile and short so make the most of what you have today. We're doing that these past few days. We have a couple more days to go. This is good.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I'm truly not deserving all this time on Ron's blog. And the trip down from Toronto was a mere pittance for the absolutely wonderful time I'm having here in Lewes. I can only try to describe Ron as one truly kind and thoughtful, generous, sociable - and energetic individual whom I am so lucky to have met. A really great friend to have made. I'll be very sad to have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      Yes you are deserving. What a delight you are. I am so enjoying your company. And you're turning me into a "veggie. Who would have ever of thunk?

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:53 PM

    Ron,

    That's one big cocktail ! After that who needs food !
    Here are some links to other local places so driving
    shouldn't be too bad.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pattys/224977614228180
    https://butteryrestaurant.com/Dinner.html
    http://www.striperbites.com/
    http://www.gilliganswaterfront.com/home.html

    Gilligans looks like a fun place. And it's in Lewes.

    Have fun. Stuart in FL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart,

      That was one POTENT margarita! Sent me into a very nice orbit.

      Thanks for the links but I still have to drive home and the POO - LICE are very active around here. I take no chances.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Good times! And I DO want to see you after TWO margaritas! HAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Two margaritas I would probably be flat on my face. Not a pretty sight.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Let US be the judge of that, Ron.

      Delete
    3. Ray,

      The next night I had TWO Key Lime Pie martinis. I made a FOOL out of myself on the Rehoboth boardwalk. When Pat walked into that sandwich board sign and couldn't put it upright again, and a passerby hollered "Spread 'em!" I laughed so hard I hurt my sides. Here I was the tipsy one and they thought he was tipsy. Shameless, two men our age acting like silly teenagers. What's the world coming to?

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fun time was had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Pat will be at our Bloggerpalooza next April. I'm looking forward to introducing him to you. Maybe we'll all have a chance to have one of those HOT entrees at La Quezalteca .

      Ron

      Delete
    2. We had a fabulous time! I'm looking forward to introducing Pat to everyone at next year's Bloggerpalooza. Maybe we can all get together for a HOT entree at La Quezalteca.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. scandalous shenanigans will lead to decadence and wickedness - and cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I am ashamed to say that we behaved shamelessly.

      Ron

      Delete