Friday, August 23, 2013

Clicking

Pat, my new BF (from Canada)

Well folks, I guess some of you have already figured out that I've made a new "BF."  And yes, I am still happily married to Bill but I can still have Best Friends.  

My new "BF" is Pat from Toronto Canada.  We clicked immediately upon meeting in the parking lot of the Hotel Blue Last Friday evening.  Pat called me to tell me that he would have to probably be sleeping on a park bench because the hotel didn't have his reservation.  I was out in my backyard weeding when I received his call on my iPhone.

Of course he wouldn't have to sleep on a park bench, he could stay here at Casa Tipton-Kelly until he found his hotel room.  What happened was when we made the reservation (I was on FaceTime with Pat last week and the phone with the hotel), it was supposed to be for Friday night.  Fortunately the owner of the hotel found him a room at a nearby hotel for Friday night.

I told Pat I would be right down.  I knew he had a long drive (12 hours) and would be tired but I did want to give him a personal welcome and take him out to eat.  

I drive up to the Hotel Blue parking lot.  I've never been to that parking lot before but I was pretty sure I could park there temporarily while I went into the Beacon Motel where Pat was staying for the night.  I see the man in a T-shirt and jeans standing in the parking lot.  I'm thinking he's the parking lot attendant going to give me grief for parking in the hotel parking lot.  So instead of parking where I was going to park, I go to the far end of the parking lot.  The man follows me.  Now I'm getting annoyed and I'm ready for battle.  All kinds of folks who aren't staying at the hotel where I work always park in our parking lot but I never give them grief and this guy was going to give me a hard time?  



Pat standing on the bridge to the Hotel Blue parking lot - and here I thought he was the parking attendant!

I pull my car into the far end of the parking lot.  The man approaches my car.  He puts out his hand and introduces himself.  "Hi!  Ron?  I'm Pat."  It's my visitor from Canada!  He was waiting for me in the parking lot and I greet him with the Ron Scow.  Hey, that was my Ready for Battle Face.  We laughed about it later.  But talk about making a first impression.  

Well, I started this blog meaning to write about how with some people we "click" right away.  That's what happened with me and Pat, we clicked right away.  

After yesterday's blog about Pat, I wasn't going to write another one about him but what the hey.  We met last week, hit it off immediately and spent a wonderful week together.  I got a chance to frequent some of the local restaurants that I never go to because Bill doesn't like to go out and I don't have any friends who will go out with me (I know, poor me but it's the truth).  Also, I've always wanted to take that tall ship ride and I finally had someone to do it with, two friends Pat and The Cajun.  Plus, I loved being the tour guide for a week.  Maybe I missed my calling.  Wore me out though.  


Pat my dining companion at La Quezalteca in Millsboro, Delaware

You know what is strange?  I moved to this gay enclave of Delaware thinking I'm going to make a ton of gay friends and it just hasn't happened except for Wayne and......well I guess no one else. I know some gay people who are nice but not really what you could call friends who you go out with and share stories with and laugh together.  Who would have ever have thought it would take this delightful man from Toronto Canada who would be my buddy.  We just clicked.  And isn't that nice?  You just never know.  


19 comments:

  1. I have just one comment...

    At the ROSMY Facilitators Meeting on Wednesday, a very nice lady was wearing a Rehoboth t-shirt. I commented on it and mentioned I'd been to Dos Locos where The Cajun works. She knew it, and thinks she knows The Cajun!!!! How cool is that?!?!?!!

    It's so great that you keep meeting our fellow bloggers. As noted in an earlier post, they're always so wonderful! Such great folks! (Can I use an EXCLAMATION POINT any more than I have already?!?!?!?!)

    I hope you invited him to Blogger-Pa-Looza 2014!!!! (there's that ! again!)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Small world! That you met someone who has been to the Dos Locos where Wayne DeCajun works.

      You bet that I invited Pat to next year's Bloggerpalooza. He's coming too!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Jay.

    Small world! On the Kalmar Nyckel I saw a kid waring a "Toccoa" t-shirt. That's Bill's hometown! I talked to the kid and took a picture but I think he thought I was coming on to him (too young) so I ended the conversation.

    Yes, I did invite Pat to the Bloggerpalooza in 2014 and he is coming. I probably shouldn't have because I know someone will steal him. He is a sweetheart.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got YOURS! So Pat is FAIR GAME! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

      Yeah, I know how it is with the kids. Working with LGBTQ youth makes you VERY aware of situations like the one you describe. I don't shy away, I just try to be aware. Kids who see us gay guys as normal and not a threat contribute to the general goodness.

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
    2. Sorry - I accidentally clicked on this field. But I'm certainly looking forward to Bloggerpalooza. This is a truly enjoyable site - so many good topics and follow up comments.

      Pat

      Delete
  3. It's a good job Pat doesn't seem to mind having his picture taken. (Talking about all those snapped during his visit.) I'm not sure that I'd have been able to maintain such a level of cordiality throughout that time.

    Btw: Was that Bill on the other side of the (video) camera? Perhaps you ought to nickname him 'Tripod'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,

      Pat doesn't mind me taking his picture (as Bill does). Pat and I clicked immediately. Every now and then you met someone who is a perfect (or almost perfect) match. Pat was/is one of those people.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Pat seems like a jolly good fellow. So glad you found a new BF Ron. Now you just need to convince him to move to the 1st State...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,

      Pat is a sweetheart. That's the one word that keeps coming to my mind when I think of Pat. We have so much in common, it's incredible. Just a delightful man.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. You see. There are nice people from New Jersey. (guy holding camera)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      Yep! The nice guy from Jersey. And he offered to hold the camera! That's what we need more of in this world, just goodwill towards our fellow man.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. ......also Pat seems like a very nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      Believe me, Pat is a very nice guy. He is a sweetheart.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the nice comments - I try to be a nice guy - around Ron it's hard not to be so.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one sweet man Mr. Pat.

      Delete
  8. Ron - I am sooo happy you write this blog. Never would have met you otherwise. Can't exactly remember how I came upon it. I only read, at the moment, one other - The Minimalists. Also - it's great you are a shutter bug. Your blog always flows with the pics - most from your iPhone I expect. It gives the reader such a personal feel for whatever it is you have on topic. I am truly a dedicated follower of your blog. And I'm humbled and grateful for all the attention you've given me here. You are such a generous man.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he's TOO generous; just wait til you see the party he creates next april!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Love thy neighbor, and you live being loved.

    ReplyDelete