Sunday, July 01, 2012

Too Hot To Squat

Unknown young man taking a siesta at Walmart this morning


OMG!  I just read the temperature and it says 102 degrees!  OMG!  No wonder I was feeling faint after planting a few flowers.  My tee shirt was soaked to my skin.  I just took Shower Number Two for the day.

This morning Bill and I took off real early for the Walmart in Rehoboth.  I had a few items to pick up and I didn't fancy fighting the heat and traffic later in the day.  At 7:30 the temps were already in the 90's.  And the humidity, let me tell you I don't know how ANYONE can stand living in Florida during the summer.  I would be knocked out just like this guy was at the entrance to the Walmart this morning.

I'm showered, cooled off and in the house now and this is where I plan to stay the rest of the day.  I don't want to make this a Three Shower Day like Thursday.  Yes folks, I took THREE showers Thursday after my friend Lar came down for his annual birthday celebration. I treat him to lunch and an old timer photo.  Perhaps you saw it, we were pirates this year.  Me with that big goofy hat.  I better stick to cowboys in any future old timer photo shoots.  I can pull that off better with my grizzled old look that I'm stuck with now.  Oh fleeting youth, where have you gone?

I'm not scheduled to go into work until Wednesday.  The operative word here is "scheduled."  Don't even bother calling me Mike (my manager) when my fellow part-timer calls in with her latest emergency.   I say "No" this time.  It's not easy for me to say "No" but sometimes it is necessary when the extra effort is not appreciated and I'm looked upon as a fool.  The worm turns.

Stay cool folks!

11 comments:

  1. Been catching up this morning...love the new look. It makes your photos pop.

    I'm surprised at how much hotter it's been there then here on LI but unlike you, I've been spending lots of time at the beach, mostly reading and watching. It's amazing how much time I have now that mom isn't going to the doc every other day and she continues her very slow but steady recovery from her radiation and chemo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      Thanks for the compliment on the new look of my blog. I thought it was time for a change. I'm glad you said it makes my photos "pop" because that is exactly what I wanted to do.

      I didn't realize you were in the care giving mode with your Mom. I know what it's like taking a loved one to the doctor's almost every day. That was the story of my Mother the last few years before she died. It is very wearing. I'm glad you have more time to yourself now.

      Always good to hear from you Sean.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. anne marie in philly3:39 PM

    98 up here today. one shower for me; staying inside doing wonderful (NOT!) things like laundry and grocery lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      This kind of weather really knocks me out. I can't take it. I don't know what I did when I was younger. It didn't seem to bother me near as much. Now days I feel like I'm going to faint if I'm out too long.

      Stay cool!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Holly4:30 PM

    Yay for boundary making!! I have a certain someone in my family I have to set boundaries with because she doesn't recognize any (asking how my husband spent on my Mother's Day gift of new furniture, looking through meds and asking who is taking Nexium and why is my son on an antibiotic, etc etc). I would be her beck-and-call girl if I let her.

    And about grizzled pirates - much as I love Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow, my son and I both agree that Hector Barbossa was a pirate's pirate. And he was definitely grizzled. Months on the ocean staring into trade winds and sun reflections will do that to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly

      Yes, for boundary making.. Time to draw the line I say!

      I don't know of Hector Barbossa. I'll have to check him out. Thanks!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I took my walk extra extra early today. There were more people on the trails than I usually encounter. I guess we were all trying to beat the heat, but not succeeding. By the time I got home at 8:00 AM it was already over 80.

    Laurel and I went up around 10:00 to do a little more clean out at the parents. At least it was cool in that house, but the drive was not comfortable. This heat just overwhelms the A/C in the car.

    Stay cool, my friend.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    Hector Barbossa is the Pirate that mutinied against Captain Jack Sparrow. He was played by Geoffrey Rush.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I did not know that. Now I do. Thanks!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I read in the paper about the heat wave. It is cool along the coast in SoCal, but it will get hot around August, September into October. (You must be pleased with Anderson finally coming out. His email to his friend is just beautiful. I hope you will post it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Yes, I heard that Anderson finally came out. Thanks for the suggestion for me to post it. I will because tomorrow I will post about me and Bill's 48th anniversary!

      Ron

      Delete