Friday, July 13, 2012

Oh No They Didn't!



Have you heard?  The uniforms for U.S. Olympic athletes were made in China?

WHAT?

Finally the Democrats and Republicans have something they agree on.  Both agree that the U.S. Olympic Committee derision to dress the U.S. team in Chinese manufactured berets, blazers and pants while the American textile industry struggles economically with many U.S. workers desperate for jobs.

WHAT?

Is Mitt "The Liar" Romney still heading the U.S. Olympic Committee and still outsourcing jobs to China.  Even if Mittsy was heading up the U.S. Olympic Committee, he's so secretive he would never tell us or lie about it.  He's good at lying but I digress.  I'll get on Mittsy's lying ways in another post.

So who came up with this brain dead idea that CHINA should make the U.S. Olympic athletes uniforms?



I heard on the news this morning that Ralph Lauren (real name "Ralph Lifshitz", no wonder he changed his name) DOESN'T HAVE MANUFACTURING PLANTS IN THE U.S.! Well folks, GET SOMEONE ELSE!  Ralph Lifshitz Lauren makes enough money anyway with his obscenely overpriced jeans.  Hey, it's not like he needs the money.  He's already worth 7.5 billion dollars, largely as a result of cheap Chinese labor.  God forbid he should use the U. S. labor force to make his overpriced duds.  He probably has accounts in the Cayman Islands and a few Swiss bank accounts too.  Seems that the self important mucky mucks who are entangled with the U.S. Olympics always come out ahead money wise.  Mittsy (Mitt "The Liar" Romney) seems to have done very well but I digress.

WHAT?

And what's with the berets?  I HATE BERETS!  No, it's not because they're SO FRENCH but they're just stupid looking.  Thank God when I was in the Army there were NO BERETS.  And I'm gay! To me wearing a beret looks like you're wearing your sister's panties on your head at an angle.

WHAT?

Here is what Harry Reid, the Senate Majority Leader said in response to the news that our Olympic team will be wearing Ralph Lifshitz Lauren duds are the opening ceremonies:


"I am so upset. I think the Olympic committee should be ashamed of themselves. I think they should be embarrassed. I think they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them and start all over again," 

Hey Harry!  I agree with you!  Burn the rags.  Charge it all to the personal accounts of the mucky mucks on the U.S. Olympic Committee and Ralph Lifshitz Lauren.

Nancy Pelosi told reporters at a her weekly news conferencethat she's proud of the nation's Olympic athletes, but "they should be wearing uniforms that are made in America."


And fasten your seat belts folks, even House Speaker John Boehner said simply of the USOC 
"You'd think they'd know better."

Precisely!

Of course the U.S. Olympic Committee circled the wagons and defended the choice of designer Ralph Lifshitz Lauren and responded in indigent outrage:

"Unlike most Olympic teams around the world, the U.S. Olympic Team is privately funded and we're grateful for the support of our sponsors," USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky said in a statement. "We're proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company, and excited to watch America's finest athletes compete at the upcoming Games in London."


What other response would we expect from the folks in power?  Of course they DID NOTHING WRONG.  Think they would take responsibility for making a BIG MISTAKE?  Oh no.  Well, big shots on the U.S. Olympic Committee, you're going to lose on this one.  


By the way, I couldn't care less out the U.S. Olympics.  All those pampered athletes.  Who wants to see our professional basketball players win another  gold medal?  


BORING!


Who wants to see Michael Phelps, the swimmer with the LONG torso and short legs (built for swimming folks) and the twisted mouth win more gold medals?


BORING!


And who wants to see all those commercials on the television coverage?  


BORING!


Years ago I used to love watching the Olympics but the Olympics lost their luster and interest with me when they went professional.


BORING!


But even if I don't watch the Olympics I do think that AT LEAST the uniforms that our "team" should wear U.S. made uniforms to the Olympics.


What do you think?


Ralph Lifshitz Lauren fouls the Olympics with his name
P.S.


I just say a news report that Ralph Lifshitz Lauren will be paid almost a million bucks by the U.S. Olympic Committee for his Made in China uniforms.  Are you kidding me?  He's not DONATING the uniforms to the athletes?  This man who is worth 7.5 billion dollars?  What's wrong with this picture?

2 comments:

  1. It a manufactured issue. Name me one American designer that manufactures in the US. I'll wait.

    Second, does this mean that all the clothes and equipment the US athletes us must also be manufactured in the US?

    Next, where have the past outfits been manufactured? Not the good old US of A I bet.

    Finally, I'm not sure if you're missing the sarcasm button but I do enjoy the Olympics and watch many of the everts. NOT Basketball but many others. And most are not pampered and all work so much harder then we could ever imagine. Yes, even those who take steroids. It may be cheating but they still have to work damn hard to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      Almost all if not all the clothing I wear is manufactured abroad. My very favorite is Faded Glory that I buy from Walmart. They're cheap, look good, fit and wear well. However, I think for an occasion such as the U.S. Olympics our country should use a uniform made in the U.S.A. The Olympics is a national, jingoistic competition and at least our team should be wearing American made clothing. As far as the Olympic athletes are concerned, I used to be an avid watcher of the Olympics. I became engrossed in the biographies of many of the individual athletes. I think what soured me on the whole process was the over commercialization (couldn't see the competition live and for all the commercials) and the spoiled brattiness of many of the athletes involved. Mark Spitz was the first I lost it with. One arrogant person who had the privilege of growing up with 24/7 access to a swimming pool. Of course he was going to be a good swimmer. Michael Phelps? I don't see the talent as much as I see his body build. He's all torso and short legs. Remember Nancy Kerrigan? Another spoiled brat. I wanted to like these people, I really did but I found that waiting around in between the endless commercials and the glorifying biographies in which everyone seemed to overcome some impossible odds to being there, I just got bored with the whole thing. These people aren't heroes to me, they're (most of them anyway) are the few who are lucky enough to be born with a body that makes it easy for them to compete. I was in track in high school and I worked my ass off and I could never finish more than next to last. All the while I watched some of my classmates hardly try (didn't work near as hard as I did) but had a much easier time competing because of the body they were born with. That's all good and well but please, all this praise and glory for their "hard work?" Give me a break. I have more respect for the woman whose story I read in today's paper who rescuers feral cats, feeds them, raises kittens, and find homes for them. Now she works hard.
      I appreciate your comments Sean on this subject but I have to disagree with you. My blog, my opinion.
      Ron

      Delete