Sunday, July 08, 2012

Heat Wave Breaks (Sort of)


Well folks, we finally got a break today.  The temperatures dropped ALL THE WAY DOWN TO 87 today.  A veritable cold snap. I better get out my sweater.

The video I took this morning.  A batch (or two) of baby Purple Martins made their entrance into the outside world yesterday.  They're still hanging around the house where they were born a few weeks ago but they will soon be taking off for South America.

This is probably the last batch of Purple Martins this season.  In a few weeks all will be quiet out in the Back Forty.  That's when I know summer is coming to an end.  Every year it seems like they leave too early but it is a long journey to Brazil and points south, so I guess the Purples want to get an early start.  I would love to know how many of them come back to this same bird house next year.  One of my joys of summer, watching the birds in our backyard raise a new batch of younguns.

I hear thunder in the distance.  Hey, maybe rain is on the way!  God knows the farmers down here in lower coastal Delaware could use some rain on their cornfields.  The poor corn stalks are drying up.  It seems every year the corn crop struggles to survive.  I washed my car yesterday specifically in insure that we would have rain.

I would have taken my daily evening walk in the development behind me but didn't because when the weather is this hot and humid I usually come back covered with bugs that look like ants with wings.  I don't feel like dealing with that tonight.  I miss my daily walks though.

The thunder is getting closer.  I better take my shower down and wash off the stink of the day before I settle down in my bedroom before my 60 inch Samsung TV with surround sound and watch my latest episodes of "Mad Men."  Oh how I love that show!  My favorite character (and there are so many) has to be Peggy Olsen.  Jon Hamm as Don Draper is hot, good-looking and sexy and all that but man is he a horn dog pig.  Not that people like that don't exist.  I have known my share of horn-dogs, gay and straight.  I'm not one of them.  Yes, I'm bragging and not ashamed to admit it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get back to one of those thought provoking, controversial blogs that I usually specialize in.  This hot weather has just got be beaten down.  I don't have the energy to work up a blog entry scintillates and tantalizes. The old Ron will be back soon, do not worry.

6 comments:

  1. I have missed reading about you: know that I am back I hope to catch up.
    And I hope you cool down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      How very kind of you! I missed reading your blog also. I am glad you had a good vacation. It's always good to get away and get a fresh perspective on things. Plus when you return home you appreciate familiar surroundings more. I bet Harper was glad to see you.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Maybe just a little of that heat will make it over the pond. Our idea of a heat wave this year is when the temperature gets up to the mid-70s. As I type this is misting out and hovering around 60º. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      Always good to hear from you. I wish you were my neighbor who lived just down the road so I could visit you. I feel very comfortable with you. I hope you get a little of summertime weather before fall arrives. We got a break today, in the low 80's. Very comfortable!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. i just spent a week in missouri, where we were in the middle of the heat spell. of course, as soon as i leave they predicted a break in the heat! glad you got it though. if anything, the dryness kept the mosquito population down. enjoy mad men! -tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,

      The temperatures today were positively comfortable. Low 80's with a breeze. Still some humidity in the air but so much better than last week when only a few steps outside resulted in my T-shirt being soaked with my sweat.

      Ron

      Delete