Monday, July 23, 2012

Back to Normal?

Dame Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess in "Downton Abbey."  


Can we get back to normal again?  Okay, we had another mass shooting and the subsequent wall to wall coverage.  Yet again another renewal of the gun control policy which will go nowhere because none of our politicians have the courage to outlaw automatic weapons.  This discussion is going nowhere folks except now that movie goers will probably have increased security for the midnight showings of violent movies like Batman.  That's our culture folks, learn to accept it.

For me, last night I watched the eight episodes of "Downton Abbey."  OMG!  Is that ever a great show!  No gratuitous violence or sex.  Yet still very interesting story lines that keep me glued to my 60 inch Sharp flat screen surround sound TV system in my personal theater bedroom.  And by the way, I don't have to worry about some nutcase bursting into my bedroom spraying me with automatic weapons just because he got rejected by his friends, school and/or lover.  Just this morning I was talking to my friend Bill P. and we can't figure out why someone would want to take out innocent people just because he has problems.  What is with that?

By the way, can we dispense with the following every time we have one of these shootings?

Saying "Our thought and prayers are with you."  That doesn't do any good, their loved one are still dead.  Just say you're very sorry.  Prayers aren't going to help now folks.

Stop with the self congratulations of the police department on the scene.  Everyone one of these scenes, almost the first thing out of the police spokesperson's mouth is "What a wonderful job our police department did."  This isn't the Academy Awards folks.  This is a tragedy.  Stop with the self congratulations.  If the police department did a good job (which many times they do and sometimes they don't) THAT IS THEIR JOB!  That's like me congratulating myself on what a wonderful front desk clerk I am because I check in guest to their right room and get them that extra towel when they ask for it.  IT'S MY JOB FOLKS!  I turn of the sound every time one of these police chiefs of spokesmen begins a press conference thanking his fellow policemen for an "outstanding job."  Enough already.

Forget about even discussing gun control.  It's a waste of time and going nowhere because gun control isn't going to happen because the NRA OWNS our legislators.  Most of them anyway, there are a few exceptions.

And again, stop with the PRAYERS.  Too late.  So empty.

And oh, one more thing,  this to the TV people, when you interview any of the on the scene witnesses try to avoid the ones who can't complete a sentence (every second or third word punctuated by an "um" or an "ah" or and this is the worst - "like").  Our education system today is a failure because so many young people CANNOT TALK.

Now I'm not being totally heartless.  Here is what I say when someone loses a loved one.  "I am sorry for your loss.  If I can do anything to help you, let me know."  There, I've said it.  Sure, if someone gets comfort from praying, let them make that decision.  Why are you going to pray for them?  Pray that it didn't happen?  Pray that they handle their loss?  Tell them that you care and offer your help.

So now we'll get back to normal or what passes for normal anyway.  Life goes on.  The Human Drama continues.  We'll have another tragedy like this in the future.  It is a shame but it will happen.  Evil exists in the world.

Be careful and don't be hating.  Hate is what caused this tragedy.  Enjoy life.  Make every day count.

Watch "Downton Abbey."

6 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly5:54 PM

    or stay home and read a book; the book you sent me arrived on saturday, thanks!

    it will be interesting to learn more about the colorado dickwad's background. and I agree with you about the NRA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Lots of laughs in that book. What's good about Fay is that I can identify most of what she writes about except the lesbian stuff. Enjoy!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I know lots of people who don't care to say they are sorry, as it sounds like they are apologizing for something they did, which is not the case. The matter is : there are no good words to say, all are lame and useless. So people stumble, trying to say something to help. "Our prayers go with you" is often their way to say "I am sorry for your loss" - as it is something tried I don't mind the expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I understand what you're saying. Expressions of sorry are always hard to say. My problem with "My prayers" is that I can't picture most of these people actually praying. Maybe they do. Maybe I'm wrong. I stand corrected. All I know is I feel very bad for those who have died and were injured and for their families.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. We love Downton Abbey. We resisted watching it since so many people raved about it and we're not "jump on the bandwagoners" - but LOVE it and so glad we finally caved.


    I completely understand where you're coming form with the issue of expressing condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I'm not one of those "jump on the bandwagoners" either! That's why I stayed away from "Madmen" for so long. Now I'm hooked. "Madmen" is good but "Downton Abbey" is perfection. I usually fall asleep when watching DVD's in my bedroom on my 60 inch TV. Not with "Downton Abbey" though. I am riveted!

      Good to hear from you Sean. Anne Marie of Philly speaks highly of you and your blog. I'll have to check it out.

      Ron

      Delete