Sunday, July 29, 2012

Potato Salad Recipe

The Beginning of a great potato salad recipe - red potatoes and hard boiled eggs


If it's summertime it's potato salad time!

I never used to like potato salad.  That's because the only potato salad I had growing up was my Mother's potato salad.  It was God awful.  Hey, I loved my Mother and she took good care of me and my two younger brothers but I didn't like most of her cooking.  My father and brothers liked it good enough.  They always cleaned up their plates and it showed.  Both my brothers hover around three hundred pounds today.  I weigh half that.

It wasn't until I joined the Army (at 18 years of age) and had meals away from home that I realized that food could taste good.  I realized there were culinary possibilities.  Then when I got out of the Army and met Bill and set up house, I began experimenting with cooking myself.

Over the years I have developed recipes that I love.  Now granted, I understand some others may not love them as much as I do (which I have also found out over the years witnessing many screwed up faces of guests when they ate some of my concoctions) but be that as it may.  I cook for myself and Bill.

Here is one of my several recipes for potato salad that gets me through the dog days of summer.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

OLD-FASHION POTATO SALAD



  • 4 cups cubed red potatoes (with skins on)
  • 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
  • 1 celery rib, finely chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonaise 
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper



DIRECTIONS:



  • Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain. 
  • Chop the potatoes and place in a large bowl.  Sprinkle white wine vinegar over the still warm potatoes.  Sprinkle with freshly ground salt and pepper.
  • Add eggs, chives, dill and celery.  Mix.
  • In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the potato mixture and toss to coat. 
  • Place in a container and put in refrigerator overnight to chill.


Fresh chives from my garden

Chop those chives

Fresh dill from my garden

Cut the cooked red potatoes with skins on

Cut those potatoes while they're hot

Sprinkle still warm potatoes with white wine vinegar

Mix all together

Finely chop one stalk celery

Mix mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard with veggies

Put in container and place in refrigerator overnight to properly chill
The next day take out that potato salad and enjoy!  This is the best accompaniment for grilled chicken or hamburger.  Although it is not low calorie, I only eat a table spoon or two at a meal.  That is enough to satisfy my appetite for summer food.  Delicious!


Ooops!  I forgot a small detail.  While this potato salad is good making it does generate a LOT OF DIRTY utensils, pans and dishes.  It is well worth the trouble though.

15 comments:

  1. Ok, it made me laugh out loud when you hinted that army food was better than your mom's. Maybe you didn't say that directly, but that's what I got. :)

    The recipe looks divine. I love potato salad, and there are many varieties and I like them all. Except the bad ones. But you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      Yes, you got it right. I didn't realize how good food could taste until I was in the Army! My Mother died in 2010. I would never have said that while she was still alive. She cooked for my father, not for me and my brothers. It didn't matter much to my brothers, they always cleaned up whatever was left over. Now me, maybe it is my gay gene but I have a more sensitive palate. I thought all food was grease soaked and bland until I got out in the real world and way from the small town in the Fifties, with no restaurants to speak of, where I grew up. I remember my first restaurant meal when I was 21. It was at an Italian restaurant called DaVanci's in Philadelphia. Bill took me there because I had never been to a fancy restaurant before (other than the Exton Diner). I had Veal Parmesan. I never knew food could taste that good! I almost had an orgasm.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, send some my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby,

      Wish I could!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. anne marie in philly12:18 PM

    http://www.davinciristorante.net/home.html

    my mother also served bland boring meals. "ethnic food" to her was italian only.

    it was not until I moved to the washington dc area that I began to taste and try other cuisines. opened MY eyes, I tell ya!

    you look so at home in that lovely kitchen of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      DaVinci's is still there? Wow!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Thank you Ron! I love a good potato salad. I will make it next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I hope you like it. I have several favorite potato salad recipes. I'll post the others in future blogs. Each one is totally different.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I love potato salad; but Someone is highly allergic to Mayo, so any recipe with it is verboten in our household. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      How different our spouses are! Bill LOVES mayonnaise. He buys FOUR jars (Kraft with lime) at a time. He puts a dollop of mayonnaise in EVERYTHING. I get on his cases about all the mayonnaise he eats but apparently all that mayo consumption hasn't affected his health. He's 83 and going on strong. I like mayo too but not a spoon in every meal.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. I enjoy a bit of mayo, but dollops???
      My heart curdles at the mere thought of it !

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:35 AM

    I make a very similar potato salad, but I add bacon.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy from Sonoma,

      My neighbor Barbara makes a similar potato salad. She adds bacon. This salad does taste good with bacon but I only had bacon bits and didn't want to add anything artificial. Maybe next time I'll cook up a batch of real bacon and add it.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Army chow used to be decent and sometimes great, but then it was all privatized to companies that only care about cutting corners to increase profit. Don't get me started on the privatization of Defense!

    The Potato Salad recipe looks great and reminds me of the recipe my mother used to use. It's a classic. I'll be sure and make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,

      I don't recall ever having a bad meal in the mess hall. Perhaps the only complain I had was once they had veal, it was veal all week. Veal chops, veal stew, veal soup. One could always count on a long run of veal when it was served. I'm not a big fan of eating baby animals either. Other than that, all the meals I had in the mess hall were good. It's a shame it's not that way now. So much has gone downhill. I'm glad I was in when I was.

      Ron

      Delete