Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Deep Sleep

A man sleeping.  Not me (don't I wish I looked like this?)


What's going on?  The past few weeks I have been sleeping really deep.  I've never had a problem sleeping like some.  Bill is a light sleeper.  He's often told me that I could sleep through a bombing attack. In fact, last week we had a terrific thunderstorm with the BOOMS and rain pelting the house sideways but I sleep through the whole thing!  I'm telling you folks, I sleep like the dead.

However, lately I've really been OUT.  I mean BIG TIME OUT.  This morning I was having a troubling dream (which of course I can't remember the details) and I was trying to wake up.  Yes folks, sometimes I know I'm sleeping and I want to wake up just to get away from whatever it is I'm dreaming about.

I couldn't wake up this morning!


I felt like I was holding onto the edge of a cliff with my fingertips and I was slipping.  And yet I knew I was dreaming and I wanted to wake up to save myself!  I pulled and pulled and finally got to a groggy, semi-awake state.  


I still wasn't awake.  I tried and tried some more and finally my eyes opened.  I tried to think of where I was.  I literally did not know where I was.  I didn't even know how I was positioned on my bed.  As it turned out I was somewhat sideways (11 am and 4 pm) on my bed.  This is also unusual because when I sleep I almost always wake up in the same position (I sleep on my right side) that I go to sleep.  Not this morning.  I must have been thrashing around trying to wake up.


When I was awake enough to realize I was back on earth I still didn't know where I was or what time of day it was.  This is probably because I almost always take an afternoon nap of at least a hour.  Even those naps are DEEP.  I am completely knocked out.


Lying on the bed, I slowly realized that this was a summer Tuesday morning and I was in my bed here in our house in a Ryan Homes development in southern Delaware, near the coast.  RON HAS LANDED!

Man oh man, what is going on?

6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

don't know. but oh how I envy your ability to deep sleep. I am like bill; the slightest noise has be awake for hours.

love the new banner pix!

Ron said...

Anne Marie,

Oh I do sleep good. It's rare when I have a light sleep night. I am dead to the world when I go to sleep. Even when I was in the Army I was that way. Dangerous.

Ron

Ur-spo said...

Our sleep varies as much as the stock market; so many factors go into sleep whether it will be good or bad. My patients tend to see a change in their sleep not unlike edgy investors reacting to the flux in the stock market. I tell'em to cool out, bad or good sleep 'happens' and is likely to changes as mysteriously as it just was.
Enjoy your deep sleep.

PS _ I had to skip the Mad man entry as I still want to watch this.

Ron said...

Dr. Spo,

I notice that when I eat a real chocolaty brownie before I go to bed, I really have the bizarre dreams.

Do watch "Madmen" from the beginning! I think it is the best show on TV. Perhaps draggy (soap opera style) in parts but overall, really interesting. A great study of human character. That's the kind of stories that I like.

Ron

Vương Tử Trực said...

Before practicing Yoga, I used to have such situation.

Ron said...

Tai,

I don't need yoga. The deep sleep does it for me.

Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...