Sunday, July 08, 2012

How Birds Beat the Heat


This is how the birds beat the heat in my backyard.  I took this video with my iPhone this morning from my bedroom window right after I got up (even before I shaved)!  I had to be VERY careful not to spook the birds with movement at my bedroom window while taking this video.  Their eyesight is very good.

This is what gives me GREAT pleasure, providing a backyard sanctuary for wildlife.  This unusually hot weather also affect our critter friends as much if not more than it does us.  Birds cannot sweat thus when the weather is this hot, they literally open their beaks and pant.  I am so thankful that I can provide some respite and even save some of our feathered friends.  Lord knows they have helped me this year because I don't have ANY Japanese beetles chewing away at my knockout rose bushes or even the crepe myrtle trees, both of which you see are right outside my bedroom window.

Excuse me now while I go out and change the water again in the three birdbaths and five saucers that I have out in my planter oval.  I think the birds understand what I'm doing for them because they're in those birdbaths before I even make it back into the house.

2 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly1:40 PM

    your caring nature in action. I too keep a birdie bath filled on these hot days. 20 degrees cooler here today than yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      The heat isn't as brutal today as it was yesterday. Still pretty hot though. I have the backyard sprinkler system on now. The birds are enjoying it.

      Ron

      Delete