Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Me and Mom




Mothers and sons almost always have a special bond. The same as fathers and daughters. I can't explain it exactly, other than to say that the relationship isn't the same as a mother and a daughter or a father and a son. I never was close to my father. However, as long as I can remember, my Mother and I have been best friends. Maybe part of that had to do with our closeness in age. My Mother is only 17 years older than I am. Recently, my cousin, friend and fellow genealogist Tim Tipton lost his dear mother unexpectedly at age 65. Like me, he was also very close to his mother. He said he would call her at least twice a day. He misses her terribly. I feel sad for him and his loss. I'm fortunate that I still have my Mother with me. When I lived in Pennsylvania my house was one road away from her. I would call or visit her daily. When I moved to Delaware, I couldn't visit her as often. At first I took the 2 1/2 hour ride to Pennsylvania to visit her at least once a month. But, it is a long and grueling ride and with the price of gas over $4.00 a gallon it is getting to be an expensive proposition. I should be calling her more but I have been negligent. After I returned from my Saturday trip to see her, I found this old picture of us. It was taken at her step-mother's house in Compass, Pennsylvania in 1949. That's me leaning on my Mom, and my two younger brothers (Isaac and John) sitting on the porch playing with a toy typewriter. It is fairly obvious from the body language who was Mom's favorite. Of course my Mother loves all of her sons but I like to think that I am still her favorite. Still, I better start making more phone calls.

2 comments:

  1. Nice entry/tribute to your mom.

    I wrote a poem re your visit - it's on Ron Sails Away - too bad that video wasn't longer; it was great, so hope to see more of them (and hopefully they'll run a bit longer).

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the video was too short. That's my life partner Bill, he refuses to learn how to use a simple camera. So frustrating. I'll get a longer video the next time.

    ReplyDelete