Friday, June 06, 2008

Baby Birds






When we last left my friends, the Determined Sparrows, he and she won when I left them build their nest in one of the six Purple Martin birdhouse apartments. I don't know the status of their nest but I do know that the Purple Martins have occupied the other five apartment and are conducting business as usual. The sparrows fly up to their Purple Martin house nest all day, oblivious to their chirping neighbors, the Purple Martins. As I had mentioned in earlier blog postings, I have three blue bird houses that border my backyard. One of the bluebird houses is occupied by bluebirds and contains five bluebird eggs. The bluebird house in between, has a half finished nest that's been at that status for about three weeks. The remaining bluebird house has a five freshly hatched baby sparrows. Those are the baby sparrows pictured in this blog. I've also included a picture of the bluebird house which they occupy. I briefly opened the bird house to make sure the sparrows were still alive. A few days ago we had a ferocious thunderstorm blow through here in the late afternoon. During an earlier nor'easter, earlier occupants of this same birdhouse were drowned. They were only a few days away from leaving their nest when they died. These days there is a lot of activity in my back yard. The Purple Martins, swallows, sparrows, grackles, bluebirds, and robins. Even a noisey catbird made an appearance this morning. The Word must be out, the Tipton backyard is the place to be. The grasses and plants attract insects which in turn attract the birds to this Garden of Eden. The four birdbaths are in almost continuous use by all the birds. I thank my friends who read my previous blogs and urged me to keep my backyard open to all. That I have done after waging a losing battle trying to keep the sparrows out of the birdhouses they desired. Having done so, I see now that my feathered friends seem to have sorted things out themselves. Good show.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations - you're a 'papa'!!! Now aren't you proud of those tiny beautiful babes?!?

    See, you gave a home to the sparrow; you get the joy of seeing them grow; hear them chirp for food - see them fed, and then 'fly away'....

    Just beautiful as always; you've created a wonderful 'book of days' (Enya) with your blog, Ron. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congratulations - you're a 'papa'!!! Now aren't you proud of those tiny beautiful babes?!?

    See, you gave a home to the sparrow; you get the joy of seeing them grow; hear them chirp for food - see them fed, and then 'fly away'....

    Just beautiful as always; you've created a wonderful 'book of days' (Enya) with your blog, Ron. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the; the goofy thing posted twice (showing the same time) - never seen that before.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They must have just been born. When I opened the front door of the bird box, their little mouths immediately opened towards the sky and they gave out these little weak chirping sounds. So vulnerable. They are safe now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you for being so considerate to bluebirds. They need all the help they can get as their natural habitat is becoming scarce. Plus they are a pleasure to watch.

    You may already be aware of this or taken steps but if I still might offer a word of advise. If you've any snakes in the area the birds will need to be protected from predation. You should consider some sort of baffle to keep the hatchlings safe. Cats can also be troublesome. When we first began providing homes for the bluebirds we didn't and lost a hatch. It was very discomforting.

    But an overall and excellent source of information on bluebirds can be found at the Sialis Organization, a bluebird preservation group.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burt,

    Thank you for your advice on about creating a successful habitat for bluebirds. I have all of these measures in place except for the aggressive house sparrow. I seem to have arrived at a compromise with the sparrow by letting them have one of the bluebird boxes. Occasionally (like this morning) a starling will approach the bluebirds who are nesting in one of the bluebird boxes. So far the bluebirds have chased them away. I don't have a cat, snake or squirrel problem. I do monitor the bluebird box daily. My father had a successful bluebird box trail when he was alive. He was ruthless in routing out the sparrows. I'm not as ruthless. I try to strike a compromise. So far it's working. I'll post periodic updates on their progress on my blog. Thank you again for your interest and the information you sent.

    ReplyDelete