Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday Morning



Just as the sunset at the end of Oyster Rocks Road last night was a beautiful and peaceful moment; the sun that washed over the walkway this morning to my house also had its own beauty.The impatiens that line the walkway invited a plethora of insects to their early morning meal. Feeling the warmth of the morning sun on my arms, I decided to record this moment with my digital camera. Summer, fall, winter, and spring. I value and appreciate all the seasons of my home in Delaware. My partner Bill was told by a neighbor this morning that the development we now live in used to be a horse pasture prior to Ryan Homes developing it into the community of Covington Chase. That was news to me. I assumed this area east of Route One was a farm field, as is so many other recent developments in this area of southern coastal Delaware. He told me that the elderly lady who owned it could no longer manage the upkeep of the horses and pasture. A few months ago, I received a comment on my blog from a reader gently chastising me and others like me for moving to Delaware and thus, in his opinion, changing the rural nature of Sussex County. What kind of defense do I offer to such an accusation? One thing I could say is if I didn't move here, someone else would. Development cannot be stopped. However, it can be controlled. I believe there is a balance between development and maintaining the unique quality of whatever area that is being developed. Sussex County has always been a farming and chicken production county. The eastern shore that borders the Delaware Bay (bordered by Cape Henlopen) and the Atlantic Ocean has been a tourist destination for many years by the inhabitants of Washington D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia. In recent years development has accelerated. The recent housing downtown has slowed down development. However, development will continue. Retirees like me, who are escaping the high taxes of adjoining states and are seeking a low maintenance lifestyle with a milder climate, will continue to buy and build houses in and near the coast of Sussex County. To those native Delaware residents who view this immigration with concern and trepidation, do not fear. I have a nest of bluebird babies in my backyard bluebird house who are just about to enter this new world. My neighbors have a new batch of barn swallows to are testing their wings each day before they leave their nest above my neighbor's front door. Honey bees are very busy with my flower garden and bird baths that border my back yard. They have accepted us as the new neighbors in their neighborhood. I eat out at least twice a week at restaurants, thus contributing to the livelihood of those working at those eateries. Almost daily, I shop at the local supermarkets thus also contributing to the livelihood of those who work for the supermarkets. And, last but certainly not least, I think I'm keeping a local nursery in business ( I spend LOT OF MONEY at this nursery). Ah yes, there are native Delawareans who are happy to see me come through the door. On warm summer mornings such as today, I am so thankful to be alive and enjoying the serenity and peacefulness of my new home in Delaware.

1 comment:

  1. The birds chirping goes lovely with WATERFALL by Enya.

    Looks like a beautiful day there - your windchimes are virtually identical to mine, as your little 'fella' sitting so comfortably in the flowers/plants.

    I've got 3 garden statues that luckily (since we're not allowed to plant anything where we live - it's all landscaped and planted for us), they've fit well into areas of my living room and one of the bedrooms, where lights and the plants I keep inside, still look 'appropriate' (I guess that's the best word).

    I see you have a young tree by the bird box - all ready to grow up and be a 'bigotry' (just had to do this pun), some day.....

    Nice videos. Diane

    ReplyDelete