Friday, January 23, 2015

Arriving In California

The view from my window seat - the Rockies (I think)

Here we go folks!  I just finished transferring my 583 photos and videos to this computer and am now ready to take you all along with me on my fabulous trip to Los Angeles, California.  I've been encouraged by some of my faithful followers that they are enjoying these visual memories of my fabulous vacation in California so I'm posting.  

Of course you remember how nervous I was the first day of the trip, getting to the Philadelphia airport and going through security and boarding my plane, a direct U.S.Airways flight. Well, I need not have worried at all because everything went smoothing.  A beautiful day, went through security and didn't even have to take my shoes off, which as you know is a sore point with me.  I was flattered when I was told to go through without donning my shoes.  That is until someone told me later that "they don't ask the old guys to take their shoes off."  Well, that deflated my ego just a bit but still.  I didn't have to take my shoes off going or coming.  Loved it!

In this post I'm including videos that I took from my window seat directly across from the bathroom (how did that happen?)  Yes, I'm one of those TOURISTS who take pictures of of the plane window.  I think I was the only one on the plane to do so.  




I have to admit I am mightily impressed with our ability to fly. Just over five hours and we traversed the entered continental United States. I've only flown across the United States once before and that was in 1979 when I flew to San Francisco for a short weekend stay (don't ask why).




I was never one of these people who was frightened of flying. I never got that. But I do have to admit that this time (and last summer when I flew to Toronto) I was very cognizant that I was enclosed in a narrow metal tube in the sky totally under the control of people that I didn't know. I tried not to dwell on that fact while I looked out my window and watched the changing topography of the United States as we got ever closer to the glorious Golden State of California.




Looking out my little oval airplane window I often think of that old "Twilight Zone" episode with a young William Shatner looking out his little airplane window on a stormy night and seeing a gremlin on the wing of the airplane. I half expect to encounter a similar situation. Then what would I do? Poop my pants probably.


Fortunately for me my day of travel was sunny and bright and no gremlins appeared on my airplane wing. But my trip back from Toronto last August was at night and raining.  In fact our landing was delayed for 58 minutes.  No gremlins on the wing though (thank God). 




Look below and see all the houses. That's another image that never ceases to impress me, how small and insignificant we as a human civilization are when viewed from 36,000 feet above.  All those houses and streets laid out so neatly below.  All those stories below that from outer space no one would have a clue. I wonder if the same is on some planets out in space beyond our galaxy.  Of such things I think when coming down from above.

Disembarking at LAX


I was to meet Pat at the baggage terminal at LAX and sure enough, there he was.

Pat at LAX for our rendezvous 
Pat's flight had arrived about ten minutes before mine.  Perfect timing.  Now to get that rental car and we were on our way to a ten day dream vacation in La La Land.

The Dynamic Duo - watch out L.A.!

16 comments:

  1. Looks like fun, looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Definitely more installments coming. I love this!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I love it, I get to be jealous again! HAHAHAHA
    Cool videos and pics!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I'll say it over and over again, we had a fabulous trip and time in California. I am so looking forward to next year!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. That is what I will be seeing in the opposite direction two weeks from tomorrow, though not when I take off at 6 AM! It will be dark. I am not a nervous flyer, though I don't like the take off or landing. Sadly I have to check a bag because I will need warm clothes in South Carolina, I just can't ask my hosts to wash my clothes every three days. I require several choices in shoes as well. I am hoping I enjoy my trip just half as much as you did yours. Thinking my beach weather isn't going to be anything like the beach weather you enjoyed. You never know though, last time I went to Myrtle Beach in January I had to buy shorts and a tank top. I will have my snacks, my book, and my iPad onboard and I am not seated near the bathroom so I will be able to eat. I can hardly wait to leave! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your wonderful trip.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Have a safe and comfortable trip and try and get a seat away from the bathroom.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. You're already spoiling us.
    Does Pat not mind being snapped so much? (And there's going to be plenty more, I bet) I just wonder if he found it a bit disconcerting to meet at the airport, you with camera (or whatever) at the ready to record the event for posterity.
    Next instalment, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the many things I like about Pat, he doesn't mind me taking pictures of him. I think just about everybody else I've hung around with (except for my friend Larry), has always complained about me taking too many pictures. Pat doesn't mind which indicates to me that he is very centered and not insecure about himself. Besides, I love taking pictures of him because I think he's very attractive. He wasn't disconcerted at the airport when I started to take pictures, he's used to me. How refreshing to have a friend who doesn't say "Stop taking those pictures!" which has been my experience up until now. And thanks for the encouragement for more installments of my trip. They're coming!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Then all I can add about Pat is that he's a rarity indeed.

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      Pat is indeed a rarity. Never in my life have I ever met someone who is so non- judgmental and easy going. Plus he's awfully cute too.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to more videos and photos of your lovely trip. By the way, not to make you envious, but the weather is absolutely gorgeous right now, clear and warm. Snow has its charms too and there is nothing more peaceful than looking at snow landscapes. I love your new banner photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Oh how we loved the weather in California during our visit. Perfect! Couldn't have been better. Just what we had hoped for, a nice break from the gray, bleak cold of the winter weather of the East. A January trip to California will be an annual event for us from now on.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. 583? !
    That is impressive. I hope you had some fun in between all those photo shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You know me, a real shutterbug. I manage to incorporate all those photos and videos into my experience without too much disruption. And yes, we did have a lot of fun between the photo shoots.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron - great memories of California. Such a nice place to be. It's been a not so bad winter up here at all - no more harsh cold weather or snow (tho it's not over yet). But LA weather was a really nice break. And the company we had with Nadege, Tony and our good hosts. And I think I'll always remember our trip up the Hollywood Hills - steep and curving and the ride along Mulholland Dr. among so many other beautiful and/or interesting spots in Los Angeles. I'm really glad you take those pictures!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Didn't we have just the best time in California? So much to do, so little time but we made the most of it even if we did exhaust ourselves. I still want to do the "motion picture tourist" thing. Either the Paramount of Universal experiences. Meeting Nadege and Tony was just the icing on the cake. And that Hollywood Hills "ride", scary!
      Ron

      Delete