Tuesday, January 06, 2015

The Day Before


Me printing the boarding pass this morning - save me from running around the airport tomorrow like a chicken with its head cutoff looking for the boarding pass machine

Sounds like a movie title doesn't it?  Actually that movie was "The Day After" wasn't it?  Well, the "day after" for me will be when I have arrived in Los Angeles and am settled down in that cute little bed and breakfast in West Hollywood with Pat.

This morning I checked my flight status out of Philly.  It's still on.  I printed out my boarding pass. Now let's see if this works and I don't have to run around the Philly airport terminal looking to where I print my boarding pass like I did last August when I visit Pat in Toronto. 

I didn't pre check my luggage either because I have that "approved" carry on size luggage. Yeah, let's see if THAT works.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one folks.

I'll be honest with you all and I am stressed right now.  After I do this blog posting I'm going to try and zone out the rest of the day.  Do something pleasurable like updating my Ancestry.com family tree account and/or updating my Find a Grave.com account.  

One of my big worries now is that (don't mean to gross anyone out here) I have a BM before I leave Casa Tipton-Kelly at 4:15 AM tomorrow.  I'm getting up at 3 AM (and yes, I will go to bed early but there is no guarantee that I will sleep). These days at my age and especially after my seed implants for prostate cancer, when I have to "go", I have to "go."  I work my day around when I "go." Getting up that early in the morning totally disrupts my schedule but I have to get up that early to be ready for Monica, my co-worker who is transporting me to the Philly airport

You know, back in the Seventies I used to travel  by plane out of Philly to Boston, then switch to a local puddle jumper to Provincetown, Mass. three of four times a year.  I flew so often I had my routine down pat.  I never thought much about it.  And I certainly wasn't stressed.  In fact, I can't even remember how I got to the airport. But I know it wasn't a problem, living in center city Philly.

These days, living at the bottom end of the Delmarva peninsula, where the airport shuttles costs $450 PLUS tip ONE WAY, it's not easy trick to get to the airport. Maybe someday Slower Lower will join the rest of the civilized world and have reasonable shuttle service to the airport but for now I have to lean on the goodwill of my co-worker Monica to do me this BIG favor. 

I don't' want to go on too long here (my New Year's resolution to keep my blogs short) but I will try to spend the rest of the day lowering my stress levels.  I've already printed out my boarding pass.  I have a map of the Philly International airport.  I know the terminal where I am supposed to go. So what's to worry about? Well, maybe that bathroom issue but other than that, this time tomorrow hopefully I'll be five miles up in the air squished in a tube with several dozen (or more) other human beings who don't have wings but are flying across the country. 

By the way, one of the first movies Pat and I are going to see once we're settled in our bed and breakfast digs in West Hollywood is "High Anxiety."  I saw that a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was hilarious. I'll need to loosen up big time after this trip.


13 comments:

  1. Now you will fly carefully, won't you? Think of Leslie Nielsen in 'Airplane' and you'll be fine.
    Hope you'll have unwound enough to 'enjoy' the trip (Must admit I always saw flying as a rather disagreeable procedure one just had to go through and get it over with.)

    It's only a few weeks since I saw 'High Anxiety' again, the first time since it opened in cinemas in 1977. It still has its moments but way back then I remember the gay press was sniffy about the little episode near the start when, after Mel Brooks' flight lands he's enticed into the airport men's room by a mysterious man (purporting to be a plain-clothes policeman, I think) who then exposes himself, leaving Brooks aghast. How times change! When I first saw the film I found that little event quite hurtful as it pandered to the widespread prejudices of the time. However, seeing it again recently I found that part very funny, especially Brooks' open-mouthed reaction. (Oh my GAWD!!!)

    See you later, at and from somewhere west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      The airport Men's Room scene in "HIgh Anxiety" I thought was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud, especially the little short scene when the Mel Brooks character was going down the escalator and had an obvious erection in his pants. LAUGH OUT LOUD. I didn't take offense at all to the Men's Room scene because there are gays who have done that scene, not my scene though. Methinks that some gays are just a bit oversensitive. By the way, I saw an excellent movie last night, "The Normal Heart." It was an HBO production so I don't know if it is available in England but if it is, you should see it. For me this movie entered my movie pantheon as one of the movies I've ever seen.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron, 'The Normal Heart' was shown on TV here a few months ago but at such an unearthly hour I didn't see it. I saw Larry Kramer's play on the London stage back in the early 1980s with Martin Sheen in the Mark Ruffalo role - and Francis Tomelty playing the Julia Roberts part. It was powerful stuff then - the play came out when there was still outcry (and delight in some quarters) at what was then still being called 'The Gay Plague'. Of course the whole climate has changed since that time, not to mention the medical advances, but I can still imagine that it carries quite a punch.
    On your recommendation it makes it even more urgent that I see this latest TV version. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I rarely give rave reviews, especially on a "down" subject like this movie and also, a story that I know how it ends. But I'm telling you, this was one of the best acted, written and photographed movies I have ever seen in my life. The transition between scenes kept my riveted to the screen. What was really well done was how accurate this movie portrayed the so called "gay lifestyle" as I knew it back then in the late Seventies and early Eighties. In this movie nobody is perfect, just like real life. And the underlying theme, that many gay men themselves refused to recognize the danger of HIV as well as those in power, including closeted gay men who were more concerned with their own financial status (and sex lives with "whoever, wherever and whenever" than saving lives, hindered the full out research to determine the cause of the HIV virus. Even using the terms "lover" and "GRID", which was used back in those days which now seem so long ago. The one word that keep coming to my mind when I say this movie was POWERFUL. Even today, we have closeted gay men who are more concerned about their own selfish needs than the liberation of all gay men and women. I've always said (just like I learned Harvey Milk said later) that if all gay men and women came out at once, homophobia would end overnight. And I mean ALL. Not just ballet dancers, Broadway and Hollywood actors (although they were and still are pretty reluctant to come out) and men and women of independent means came out. I mean ALL come out. Slowly but surly that is happening but it is still slow and I even feel the outrage and impatience that the Mark Ruffallo character (based on Larry Kramer). One especially telling thing was the then mayor of New York, Ed Koch. Everyone knew he was gay but no one would say it. That attitude is what keeps the yoke of oppression on us gay men and women. You have to throw the Yoke of Oppression off yourself. Another thing I've always said, if I can do it, anyone can. Of course I lost a lot of friends (or those who I thought were friends) and many family me members who ostracized me (even to this day) and two good jobs (at the bank) because I had the temerity not to deny that I was gay. I wasn't one for waving the rainbow flag or challenging straights but I never denied I was gay when confronted with The Question. Discrimination may have changed my life and severely limited my financial gains but I can sleep at night with a clear conscience knowing that I did everything humanly possible for me to demand the right to live as a free man, gay or not. See what this movie did Ray, got me going. Big smile now.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, Hope that tomorrow goes smoothly and I know once you land in LA you will heave a huge sigh of relief! Bonus you will end up with three extra hours and most likely wake up very early on Thursday. Have a wonderful time! Looking forward to your vacation posts.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I shouldn't make predictions but I have a feeling things will go smoothly tomorrow. I'm all packed and ready to go. I've even checked in and got my boarding pass. Now just to get that carryon luggage in the overhead bin and not have to check it. I packed that suitcase pretty tight. I was only going to take a couple shirts but realize in the end that I had an image to maintain. Thanks for your well wishes!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    Amazing how things do change when we age. I too in many cases base my life around the BM and when it will rear (no pun) it's ugly head. I do find if I get stressed enough I won't go but that doesn't mean that I won't feel I have to which adds to the stress. This happens especially when I travel and it doesn't matter what mode of transportation I happen to be using. It has become a vicious circle. When I was young and until I retired I was so regular I could set a clock each day. However I do remember that you managed ok on the trip to Toronto so I am sure you will do fine. Young people laugh at us and our bathroom concerns but I say to them "just wait".
    I am shocked to learn that a round trip airport shuttle is that expensive. I had never thought but thinking about relative experiences, it cost me $25.00 plus tip for a taxi ride from the airport, a 15 minute ride. If you had not alternative for a ride driving yourself and paying for long term parking could be an alternative. But then Bill wouldn't have any transportation. Maybe a one way car rental from Lower Delaware to the airport? Just thinking. It's good to have good friends.
    Tomorrow evening you will be on the other side of the country. Enjoy every minute.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron - I've hardly ever been on an airplane - but over 5 times and less than 10. I even did a run thru at our Pearson Toronto Airport which was a little discombobulating. (did I spell that right - don't normally use words like that). But I think I have everything in order for getting me down to LA tomorrow as long as the plane makes it. I always have that thought tho - what am I doing 50K miles up in the sky. I'm hoping to distract myself with a Jack Reacher novel, movie or crossword - or all three. A six hour flight. See you there. I'll have that neon green jacket on.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      We're both in the air as I type this response to your comment. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now that I've gone through the airport. Also since I took off my jacket. Now if I could take off my sweater! I have a feeling I'm not going to need these extra layer of clothing in LA. It's going to be fun looking for you at LAX. I can't contact you now because, well I don't know why. I just can't seem to send text messages from my iPhone. I'll have to wait until I land.
      In about a hour and a half the fun begins!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Relax and enjoy. If something does not go as planned, roll with it, I have had some fun times with travel that didn't go as planned (I ended up in Germany one morning.) Enjoy the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I'm in flight now. 35,000 feet in the air, just past Salina, Kansas. Everything is going well except that I am somewhat cramped in my coach seat. Only and hour and a half to go until I touch ground at LAX. Next flight I'll know the tricks. I should ask you, you being the seasoned traveler.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6:39 PM

    Hope you have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm in the air now. 35,000 feet above the continent. Little bumpy, got my seat belt on. Will land in about an hour and a half. Not bad so far. Easy at the Philly airport. I can do this!
      Ron

      Delete