Friday, January 02, 2015

Getting Ready For the Big Trip to CA_LA_FOR_NI_YA!

Pat and me right here in Delaware (my driveway, his car)

Here we go again folks!  Ron is getting ready to fly again.  This time I go on the big bird to California.

I'm leaving January 7th and returning January 17th.  I'll meet my Canadian pal Pat in Los Angeles on the 7th.  

We will be staying at a place (Pat calls it a "Clown House" because of it's colorful decor, minimalist that he is) in West Hollywood.  Oh yes, West Hollywood. Century City.  Sunset Strip.  Where else would you expect to gay guys to stay, albeit very old gay guys (we still count).


Pat and I in Philly last year on the street where I used to live


Now for the packing.  I got my overhead luggage size suitcase out and packed it with ten days worth of underwear and socks.  Normally I take half my closet with me but Pat has persuaded me to go minimalist this time and he does have a point.  In the past, when I've taken a half a dozen shirts or pullovers, I rarely wear them.  So this time:

Two shirts
One pull over
One pair of pants (the ones that I'm wearing)

And as Bugs Bunny says "That's All Folks!"  We shall see.

Of course I'm taking some toiletries and my prescription drugs but no razor.  I will take my Macbook Pro laptop and my my extra iPhone for additional videos and photos that I don't want splashed all over the Internet via iCloud (think about it).


Pat and I in Toronto last summer - I'll be back!

This is me and Pat's first trip together.  Pat has visited me in Delaware four times and I visited him last summer in Toronto.  I plan to go back this summer.  Toronto is a terrific city that I fell in love with.  Pat is also coming down this spring to visit and maybe this summer (if I can talk him into it).  

So why am I making all these trips?  Well for one thing I've put off making trips most of my life.  There was always "tomorrow", right?  Well, "tomorrow" is here.  All too soon time goes by, we lose friends and then there is no time for a trip.  I may have a lot of years left, or a few years but what I do know, that as long as I have the time, health and money, I'm going on these trips.  And who better to go on them with than my counterpart, Pat.


Pat and me at the Brickside Grille at Eagleview, Pennsylvania

16 comments:

  1. I thought you were staying at the hotel on Melrose. Be sure to let me know where you will be, and we can plan to meet for dinner one night. There is a terrific place that has lots of vegan dishes for Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      We'll be staying at the Hollywood Bed and Breakfast. I sent you the address by e-mail. I changed my reservation at the previous hotel where we were going to stay because it was getting too many negative reviews on Trip Advisor. Looking forward to meeting you and trying new vegan dishes at the California restaurants!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. It is good to see you excited about travel, go and enjoy. In the end, we only regret, what we didn't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      "In the end, we only regret, what we didn't do." In my past life I passed up a lot of chances which I now, of course regret. These days, I'm not passing.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You are exactly correct, Ron, there might not be a tomorrow. Go for it!

    Peace<3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      As they say, "tomorrow never comes." Live today. Too often I put things off and never did get around to doing things I wanted to do. Now is the time.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron - congratulations on your packing. I sometimes think a lot of people take more clothing with them on trips than what they'd wear if they were at home and the closet was available. Less hassle too when you are on the go. I'm not Jack Reacher but there is something about his philosophy which attracts me.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I think I can do it (minimalist), I really can! But I'll admit it isn't easy. Old habits are hard to break.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Bon voyage, Ron! I agree with minimalist packing (even though I'm not very good at it). Still, I would recommend two pairs of pants. I always worry I'll spill something and should have an extra pair. Of course, if you need to, you could always buy a second pair in LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      One pair of pants. I always take two pairs and never wear the second pair. If I spill something on my pants, I'll just buy another pair. My main concern is underwear and shirts. I usually take about five shirts, only wear two. This time I'm only taking two. Again, I can always buy more.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I envy your upcoming trip to good ol' California and can't wait to hear about your adventures there. I haunted West Hollywood for many years in my wild youth and knew every inch of it (and every inch of many guys who lived there). I'm sure it's changed drastically since then - - but I know you'll have a fabulous time! I'm excited for you and Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I've read all your tales about your Hollywood days. I am so looking forward to treading on the same hallowed ground as and Mae West!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron, Good for you on your packing! I recommend wearing a warm jacket, it can get really chilly at times. I am so looking forward to reading about all of your adventures! I know you and Pat will have a wonderful time.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I will be wearing my all weather jacket out to California. Maybe even a sweater for those chilly evenings. I remember once, years ago I went somewhere (forget now) that I only had short sleeve shirts. I froze!
      Still packing here. Always a stressful time. Something I can't find. Oh well. What I'm missing I can buy in California. You have the same stores (Walmart) there as we do here don't you?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, You should have no trouble finding a Walmart, but here is the address for Target in West Hollywood: 7100 Santa Monica Blvd. You should find anything you couldn't bring onboard here. Just stay out of those "trendy" shops!

      Cindy

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the address Cindy. I've recorded it!
      Ron

      Delete