Wednesday, January 07, 2015

In Flight

Here I am folks, 35,000 feet in the air, in a steel tube (U.S. Airways jet plane) somewhere above the middle (I think) of the United States.  I look out my window by the right wing of this plane and I've seen nothing but snow below.

I have to tell you folks I'm typing this blog under somewhat (actually very) uncomfortable circumstances.  I'm fully clothed with my shirt, sweater and jacket in this tight, little cramped seat that I have fit my 6'3" body into.  I'm sitting directly across from the bathroom.  At first I thought "How convenient" but after the first hour of inhaling the "bathroom" smells (#1 and #2), I feel like I'm sitting next to an outhouse.  In the background a little girl is singing, which you know I just LOVE. Thank God there aren't any crying babies on this flight (yet).

So how was my ride to the airport and my checkin you ask? Not bad, not bad at all.

Monica, my co-worker and chauffeur to the airport, was right on time at 4:30 AM this morning.  I was up since 3:15 AM, having been rudely awakened by the insistent alarm on my clock radio.  A very rude alarm if I do say so,

I was all packed and ready to go.  Bill was already up, a rash on both of his lower extremities which I think was caused by the stress of me leaving him for this trip and him being without me for the next ten days (Bill does like me an awful lot).

The two hour drive to Philly airport was uneventful.  Traffic didn't start appearing until we neared the airport.  I'm glad I didn't decide to drive myself because it is confusing to get to the airport, with all those futuristic roads like spaghetti around the airport.  Bill is going to pick me up when I return home on the 17th.  It will be confusing for him but at least I don't have the deadline of making a flight.  We can take out time meandering home.

Monica dropped me off at the departure ramp.  I had already printed out my boarding pass at home.  That worked well.  Next up was to go through the TSA security check.  Hey, guess what?  All went smoothly.  I have to admit that TSA has the security thing down pat.  Even though the lines were long, they moved fast.  And I am so glad I decided to get a smaller suitcase that meets the requirements for the overhead luggage storage.  I didn't have to go through the aggravation of checking my bag nor the cost ($25 per bag). And I got an extra bonus, I didn't have to take off my shoes!  How about that? Most everyone else had to take off their shoes but I got a special sticker on my boarding pass that I could leave me shoes on.  Wonder why?  I have yet to take off my shoes for a flight since. 9/11.  Of course I've only been on two flights.  This one and the flight last August to Buffalo New York to meet Pat.

By the way, I'm only able to type this blog on the airplane because I bought an hour's worth of Internet access for $8.50.  Not bad but the access is slow and I mean SLOW.

Back to regular programming now.  I got through security and for the first time I didn't even set off any buzzers.  I always set off the metal detector, even and the Holocaust Museum a few years ago I set off the metal detector.  I didn't even have to go through the X-Ray body scan.  Ron, you're leading a charmed life,  Today anyway.

More good luck.  I'm sitting next to a very nice couple who I had to ask to get up three times so far.  Once when I got into my window seat.  Then twice to go to the bathroom.  I may have to ask them again because we're 2 1/2 hours into this five hour flight and my legs are starting to cramp up,  Plus I wan to take this coat off.  The captain reported temperatures of 80 degrees in LA.

This is going to be one of my few blog postings that don't have any photos.  I took some photos with my iPhone this morning but I don't think I can get them into my post.  Oh wait, I think I can!  I'll try now.  Tight squeeze here but I do have my USB connector.  I've give it a try now.

Hey folks,  I tried importing photos from my iPhone but some really funky stuff was happening. I can't figure it out so you'll just have to use your imagination on this post  Maybe when I get to the bed and breakfast where we're staying I can update you with my photos.

My purchased Internet time is about to run out now folks so I'm going to publish this blog.  See, I'm always thinking of my loyal blog followers by keeping you current on my adventures.  Don't I always?

14 comments:

  1. Ron, Thanks for the update on your flight, I'm so glad all went smoothly. The reason you don't have to remove your shoes is your age, though I have found at certain airports the past few years that isn't required. Sorry about your seat so close to the bathroom, you will know next time not to choose that seat. Glad you are flying in to much warmer weather, hoping that lasts for your entire trip!

    A month from tomorrow I fly out to SC, well actually I am flying into NC to avoid multiple plane changes and long layovers. Only problem is my flight leaves at 6 AM so I will have to spend the night before in SF, to early to take transport to the airport. My seat isn't near the bathroom and I will have snacks!

    Have a wonderful time and I am so looking forward to reading about your and Pat's antics along with pictures and video! Welcome to my side of the US!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I'm still up in the air but only about a half an hour away from LAX. I look out my window and it looks warm down there! And here I am, all bundled up. Looks like I'm going to be peeling off some layers of clothing when I deplane and put my feet on the ground at the airport. I'll be glad when I can post photos and videos to my blog. By the way, the odors are still wafting in from the bathroom. I'm glad I wasn't eating.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. It is great to hear that the getting to the airport and onto the flight went well. It usually does. I have learned to be careful about what I wear, I look like I am going fishing when I get on a plane, but I have everything I need and I am as comfortable as I can be. One advantage of my short legs, is airline seats fit in that direction, they don't fit in width as well as I would like. The shoes thing, may be related to age, people over a certain age don't have to take shoes off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Oh my goodness! So it was my age was it? :( Wow. Sort of deflating. The Old Geezer takes flight, no danger from that quarter. :) Just kidding of course. I was so glad not to have to take off my shoes. You know, each time I travel by plane I learn something new, all to the good. What still amazes me is how fast TSA processes all the passengers, no matter how long the line. Very efficient. I also like printing out my boarding pass ahead of time. However, I saw quite a few people use their smart phone for a boarding pass. I think I may try that the next time.

      I'm about a half an hour away from LAX, Everything is working well so far this morning except for the "outhouse" odors wafting in from the bathroom. Next time I choose a seat . . . . . definitely at the other end of the tube.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:23 PM

      Hi Ron, So, you are off to LA. I hope you have a wonderful time. I'll be anxious to hear what it's like there as my granddaughter & her boyfriend settled there after graduating from SCAD. They are pursuing careers in acting & costume design.

      This morning was 23 degrees in slower lower DE. It's still really cold of which I'm reminded every time my dog needs to go out. I hope you and Pat have a wonderful time sightseeing! Take care!

      Fran

      Delete
    3. Fran,
      I'm loving LA. More than I thought I would. I could definitely retire here. Too late now though, Delaware is my home but LA is great!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    I checked the weather reports early this morning and it said the high in L.A. today would be 81. It is 23 right now at about 12:30. Tomorrow it is only supposed to get up to 22 degrees here. You will cool down in L.A. over this week, down to a chill 67, I believe. What logic our security has! I guess they figure no suicide bombers ever live to our age.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I have to admit I was surprised that I wasn't asked to take my shoes off even more surprised when I found out the reason, Oldie Goldie here.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Glad it went smoothly! I saw you arrived on {big social media site}. Coolness!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      We should have the next Bloggerpalooza in LA!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Avoid wickedness
    Abjure loose women
    Eat fresh fruit
    and
    Don't pick your nose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can abide by all those suggestions!

      Delete
  6. Hi Ron, I'm glad your flight went well or well enough. How do you like you first day in the city of angels? I'm sure you have photo of you with the Hollywood sign in the background! Uh Oh I think I have an idea for a blog post. Anyway you boys have fun. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Loved our first day in Los Angeles! What a city and the temperatures, from 20 degrees to 80 degrees in one day. Pat said he went from sweeping snow off of his steps in Toronto to wearing his T-shirt in LA in one day. Love it!
      Ron

      Delete