Sunday, January 11, 2015

Soaking It All In

Me and Pat at Hollywood and Vine, Hollywood, California

Folks, I don't know how much I can get in this blog posting (my Internet speed is very slow at the bed and breakfast where I am staying) but I'll try.  For those of you who have Facebook, I've been able to post several videos of our craziness that gives you an idea of what a great time we're having here in LA.

I'll probably forget much of what we already did but here is some of it:

Today we met one of my blog followers, "Nadege", in Little Tokyo.  We had a wonderful lunch at a place called "The Curry House."  You know me and Pat, we like spicy, hot, Indian curry dishes.  Turns out Nadege does too. Funny thing about this restaurant, it's a Japanese restaurant that serves Indian style curry dishes and quite well I might add.

Me, Nadege and Pat at the Curry House in Little Tokyo today for lunch

After lunch, and in the rain (yes, it did rain today in LA) we headed up to The Grove to see the latest Liam Nesson action flick, "Taken 3".  Not exactly my taste but I enjoyed watching it none the less in the magnificent movie theater at The Grove.  Man oh man, get outside Rehoboth Beach and you see what movie theaters and a LOT of other customer delights are supposed to be like.

Tonight we going to "Oil Can Harry's" for a retro disco night.  That is if I can wake Pat up.  Poor Pat, I'm wearing him out.

Yesterday we wore both of ourselves out.  Pat wanted to see the site of the old TV series "77 Sunset Strip."  Of course that was just a made up address but Pat was convinced that there was some kind of memorial plate on that location.  He wanted to drive down Sunset Boulevard but I suggested otherwise because of the heavy traffic.  Oh yes folks, the myth about LA traffic is true . . . . it is heavy.

Pat talking to a fellow guest at breakfast this morning

So we walk.  And walk.  And walk.  We ended up walking all the way to Hollywood and Vine.  Along the way we passed the historic Hollywood High School (cool). The Walk of Fame with memorial plaques of past stars (more cool).  Then to the Pantages Theater before we gave up and sat on a bench waiting for public transportation to take us back to our bed and breakfast.  

Guess what happened while we were waiting for our bus?  Pat struck up a conversation with a young, mixed race guy (he told us he was a model and an aspiring actor and musician).  A very nice, friendly guy.  Out of the blue he asks "Are you two brothers?  You look like brothers." Well folks, that makes four times in four different cities we've been asked by perfect strangers if we were brothers.

By the way, to back up a bit.  It was very interesting being on Hollywood and Vine.  So much history.  But then Hollywood Boulevard began turning very tawdry.  And oh yes, we saw the "Super Characters" (Wonder Woman, Superman) outside the Pantages Theater.  Don't worry, we are already warned about them and kept out distance. 

Hollywood Boulevard last night

But what a mixture of humanity on Hollywood Boulevard.  Homeless, shills, tourists, and more tourists.  In fact just about every representation of humanity except real live movies stars.  Sorry folks, we have yet to see our first movie star, current or has been.

I'm going to wrap-up this posting now and try and upload some photos with it.  Then I'll wake Pat up (he's napping now) and head out to Oil Can Harry's.  This should be interesting.  

Pat in front of "Tawdry" on Hollywood Boulevard

14 comments:

  1. Hi Ron and Pat, Well it was only a matter of time before you guys got up in the tawdry nightlife of Hollywood! Now you can't come back to Delaware until you get a picture of yourself with Bradley Cooper. OK it's late you boys be sure to be in bed by 11:30. Good night. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Last night Pat and I went to Oil Can Harry's in the Valley for 70's retro disco night. What a blast we had! And we actually had someone try to pick us up. Can you imagine? I have video!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. So cool that you got to meet Nadege! And that restaurant sounds great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      Nadege is very cool. A very nice lady. I hope you too get a chance to meet her. Such elegance and grace. A beautiful woman in every way,
      Ron

      Delete
  3. In the last pic if 'brother' Pat was standing out there with that frozen stance and expression it's a wonder he wasn't taken for one of those pavement/sidewalk mannequins illustrating the wares and delights to be had inside. Maybe he was.

    The film 'Taken 3' has had an universal panning here - and, I understand this time it's nothing to do with anyone or anything being 'taken'. Despite you having you enjoyed it it's unlikely that I, for one, shall be seeing it.

    Must admit that whenever in a town I've never visited before I do like to visit a local cinema just to satisfy my curiosity of what the experience is like rather than to see a particular film, though it does help if it's one I want to see. However, inside they tend to be pretty similar - unless it's one where the venue is likely to be something 'special', and what better place than LA could there be reason to have that characteristic of being special?

    I'll see if I can access your adventures on FB though don't hold out much hope of it.

    Btw: Had to look up the word 'shills'. Pretty sure never heard it before. (My dictionary says "partic N. Amer.") I'm more knowledgeable now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Just between you and me I wouldn't have gone and seen "Taken 3" on my own. But I know Pat enjoys that kind of escapism movie and Nadege enjoyed it too. Plus, the theater we were in was fabulous. So comfortable, big screen, great sound and no kids. Maybe we just got lucky but I don't experience this kind of movie theater in Lower Slower. Everything we've seen out here so far is so well done. I am so glad I made this trip. One more week to go. I hope you too get a chance to visit Los Angeles.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Looks like Hollywood and Vine has been "revitalized" - it's hardly recognizable. In the distance, however, I can see a glimpse of the old Roosevelt Hotel where I lived for awhile long ago. Fascinating post, Ron - - and amusing photo of Pat along side of "Tawdry".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I was rather impressed with Hollywood and Vine and the vibrant night life. It was everything and more than I had imagined. I just wish I could post some of my videos that catches the vibrancy of the area. Of course there was the cheap and tawdry, but that makes it interesting too. By the way, we walked by the Roosevelt Hotel. I knew that name rang a bell. I'll post the videos I took when I get home and have faster upload speed on my computer. It's just about all I can do just to insert a few photos into my blog.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. It is amazing what we find when we get out of town, in cities I find wonders, in the country I find space and quiet, what will I find next?
    J and I also are asked if we are brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      We have both here. The craziness of the city and the quiet of the country, amazingly where we are staying now even though we are right off of Sunset Boulevard. And by the way, I can see where you and J could be mistaken for brothers. I think some people are attracted to people that look like themselves. I know I am (smile). But usually they aren't. (another smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  6. What a fascinating world you are encountering. I suspect walking is the only way to experience it fully.
    Avoid curried snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you and Someone where here exploring this very interesting new world with us, Especially last night at "Oil Can Harry'" in the Valley for 70's Retro Disco Night. I surely did make a proper fool out of myself.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron, You and Pat are sure getting a lot of exercise! Sorry about the rain, it hardly ever rains in LA it seems. We didn't get any here in Northern California, but I sure wish we did since we need it so badly. I enjoyed the pictures and wish I was a Facebook friend so I could see the videos, hopefully you will post them to your blog on your return. Have a wonderful day today, I can't wait to read all about it!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I fear we are getting too much exercise, if that is possible. Poor Pat, he is exhausted. Yes, we did have the rain. I didn't mind though. And yes, I will post most of the videos to my blog when I get home. I have several really good videos that capture the life and vibrancy of LA. We're loving out visit, I am so glad Pat suggested LA.
      Ron

      Delete