Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Perfect Day

Pat and I at the Griffith Observatory with Los Angeles behind us

On a perfect day like this it is hard to imagine the cold and snow of Delaware and Toronto. Bill texted me that Delaware had two inches of snow today. Too soon I'll be experiencing that white stuff but for now, this wonderful vacation continues.

House on the street where I took my walk this morning - no snow flurries here


After an early morning walk (by myself) around the neighborhood, we took the ride up to the Griffith Observatory.  We couldn't ask for better weather.  A perfect 72 degrees. No smog.  The views of Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory were break taking.  You know me and my picture taking, I actually had to put down my iPhone for awhile and just soak in the view.

View of Los Angeles from Griffith Observatory deck today

We enjoyed our sojourn at Griffith Observatory for over an hour.  Then it was time for lunch.  We've been going to the Veggie Grill almost every day for both lunch and dinner.  Fresh veggies, reasonable prices, great ambiance,excellent service and very tasty.  Boy wouldn't I love to have this option back in good old Delaware.

Last night's totally veggie meal at the Veggie Grill on Hollywood Boulevard

By the way, it happened again.  We were talking to a guy inside the building of the Griffith Observatory who just happened to live in Delaware (Wilmington).  His wife was Canadian.  Then he asked "Are you relatives? Brothers or cousins? You look alike."  That makes six people in totally different geographical locations who have asked us if we're related.


Pat with the visitor at the Griffith Observatory who asked us he we were cousins

Later in the afternoon we went to Burbank. Pat wanted to take me to the Ikea store in Burbank.  I've never been to an Ikea store and Pat wanted to check that off of my list. How did I like it?  I liked the Ikea store and Burbank.  Can't say that I would travel across the country to visit an Ikea store but the ride was nice.  And Burbank was just as I imagined it.  

Ikea in Burbank, California


We're really enjoying our stay at the Hollywood Bed and Breakfast.  However, if we come back I would like a bigger room.  I asked the owner to show me another room. I liked it and if we come back, that's where I'll stay.  The location of this bed and breakfast is ideal.  We can walk most places, take public transportation or drive (which we've mostly been doing).  In fact we're doing so much driving around these streets we're getting to be almost like locals.

Driving the streets of West Hollywood

Tomorrow we're down to two days.  Oh how fast time goes by.  I've already checked my plane reservations (still on) and prepared myself to deal with the cold weather and snow.  But I am so glad I decided to take these ten days off for a visit to warmer climes and interesting adventures.  We both are having a grand time.

Pat at the Griffith Observatory today



20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys visited the Observatory. The first time I was there I was only six years old. I was always fascinated by the fact that several key scenes from "Rebel Without a Cause" were filmed there. Griffith Park used to be a notoriously wonderful mecca for gay cruising - but I doubt if it is now. All of your photos are great. The weather looks absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      We had a perfect day at the Observatory. When we return we will visit again. I have many more photos to post which I will do when I get home and settled down. One set of photos that I didn't take was of the homeless on Sunset Boulevard. So sad and striking.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Did you walk down the West Hollywood strip yet (Boystown)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet Tony. We were planning on going to Forest Lawn today. That show you how old and boring we are.(smile)

      Delete
  3. Ron,
    Enjoy the warm sunny weather as Bill said, snow in Delaware. We just had rain in Virginia Beach but a very very cold rain and lots of wind. You and Pat are lucky to have such good weather as this time of the year Southern California weather can be fickle. Enjoy your last two days and have safe journeys home.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack ,
      We are very lucky with this weather. Didn't
      Even mind the rain. Looks like another great day today.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Your days of holiday bliss just keep coming. I don't think I've ever experienced one with such an uninterrupted string of pleasures as you are having. Makes me jealous as hell - yet I do know that I can't rule it out ever happening for me. It must surely be the best holiday of your entire life? And Pat's too, I reckon.
    (That veggie food looks like heaven on earth!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      You got it exactly right. This is the best holiday of my life. The best! And today looks like yet another. Only downside is when we have to leave on Ssturdsy morning, what a bummer. But until then we continue to enjoy this wonderful time.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Dusting of snow, cold and windy in DC yesterday. I am looking forward to 12 days in California and Hawaii starting in a couple of quick weeks - the trip is mostly work - but work in paradise. There are a couple of Ikea stores in the DC area, likely one in Philly - driving distance from home for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      When I lived in PA there was (and is) a huge IKEA store in King of Prussia. Never got a chance to go there. The greeter lady at the Burbank IKEA told us they're building a new store which will be the biggest in the U.S.
      Look at you going to work in paradise. I envy you.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    Sounds like the vacation of a lifetime! I hope since the two of you enjoy it so much you will return. Glad the weather has treated you fairly well. You and Pat sure do get around! The sign of a good vacation is when you don't want to go home!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      We are in Little Tokyo right now as I reply to your comment. I've never had such a delightful vacation like this in my life. All my previous vacations were alone. Having a friend with you who shares similar interests makes a big difference. I'e enjoyed my vacations with Bill but he wouldn't be sitting at an outdoor cafe like I am right now. Just my style.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. The food made me drool on my keyboard and the warm sunny weather would be a nice break from Northern Minnesota..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      Among the many things I will miss about leaving southern California is the weather. Oh man, I could live with this weather year round. The food is pretty darn good too!
      Ron

      Delete
  8. And the jealousy continues! What a wonderful day.

    And I love that banner picture. It looks so Southern California!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      You would not believe how "Southern California" is Southern California
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Ron,

    Safe travels tomorrow, I know you will miss Southern California and predict you will be back with Pat again soon! Hope Bill makes the drive to pick you up with ease, and you adjust quickly to the time change once home. I always think it is easier traveling East than West with that time change. At least I hope so, and a month from today I will be flying West to get home myself. So looking forward to my trip on the 7th, hoping there is no snow. I do love traveling in the off season when there are less crowds.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cindy,
      We'll be leaving for the airport (LAX) in a few hours. Now the "fun" starts.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Ron, Pat seems to be the best travel companion ever! You two always have the most fun together. Sorry to hear this was your last day in LA before you both have to return to the land of ice and snow. It did get up to 50F today here in eastern Nebraska. I guess Saturday morn is the long cross country trip back home. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Pat is a great traveling companion. He goes with the flow and most important, he can put up with me! We're going to leave shortly. What will I miss the most about southern California? The weather!
      Ron

      Delete