Saturday, January 17, 2015

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Dark in our room this morning before the big trip home

Well folks, in just a few hours I'll be leaving on a jet plane for Philadelphia.  

Right now I am sitting in our dark room here at the bed and breakfast.  Pat is still in bed. I've been up since 3 AM.  Usually I sleep like a rock but when I have something going on the next day like this trip back home, I cannot sleep.  I did get about three hours sleep last night.  However, when I woke up for my nightly pee, I was soaked with sweat.  I guess I'm just not a seasoned traveler.

So much to write about on this trip and ten day stay in the City of Angels.  We did so much and yet there was so much we did not do.  Every day was packed with activity.  We estimate it will take us about a week to catch up on our sleep when we reach our respective homes but this adventure was well worth it.  More memories created for a lifetime, or what I have left of my lifetime anyway (had to get that in). 

So much I learned about this trip.  One of the biggest was that I again packet TOO MANY clothes.  I am so angry at myself for packing (and don't laugh) five shirts, two pullovers and two T-shirts.  Guess how many I wore?  Yep, the blue shirt (and sweater) that I wore on the plane plus only one other shirt.  Yep, didn't wear the others at all.  Nada.  Zip.  Stupid, stupid Ron.  And the underwear . . . . I over did it there too.  I actually only needed three days or four at the most.  So what did I pack?  Ten days.  We visited the laundromat three times so it really wasn't necessary for all that underwear.  Funny thing too, right up to the last day before I left, I had only packed one shirt extra.  I should have left it at that.  While I was hear I purchased two sweaters and one very cool pullover, which I wore almost every day since I purchased it looking cool like all the other West Hollywooders.  Folks, I think I finally learned my lesson about packing.  Finally.  Uh huh, I know what you're thinking.  But I'm telling you, next trip . . . . one extra shirt and three days of underwear.

When I get home and settled down I'll write more about this very eventful trip.  I hope I can remember everything.  But for now, I'm going downstairs to the kitchen at this wonderful bed and breakfast where we're staying and getting a glass of orange juice.  Probably the last food I'll have until tonight when my co-worker picks me up at the Philly International airport at (hopefully) 7:32 PM. Bill will be with him.  It will be so good to see Bill again.  He's been so worried about me.  And, as much as I've enjoyed this trip with my friend Pat, it will be good to see Bill again and I'm sure Pat will be glad to flying solo again and not having to deal with my idiosyncrasies.  One thing about both of these exceptional men in my life, they are both very tolerant to put up with me.  Because I ain't easy folks.

Looking forward to going home folks.  

17 comments:

  1. All good things must.....
    But I'm sure that you'd be first to say that it all exceeded expectations. In fact could hardly have been any better, right?
    I know how you feel about over-packing. When I used to travel frequently I'd take everything that qualifies as 'just in case' - and once there would end up wearing about a quarter of what I took, if even that. Never learnt the lesson despite cursing myself every single time.
    I can see how it'll be nice for you to get back to home comforts and certainties There's no place like it!
    Good travels - and 'see' you at the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      You are indeed right, our stay in Los Angeles and California far exceeded our expectations! Picture perfect in every way. Now I have all these new wonderful memories and photos and videos to relive this trip of a lifetime (for me anyway). We will definitely be going back, health permitting, next year. This time we'll be staying by Little Tokyo in downtown LA at the Doubletree Hotel. No car rental this time. I've had my experience with LA traffic. And the LA freeways were as bad (congested and crazy) as I heard. As for my overpacking, I can't wait until I take my next trip. Two shirts max. And I mean it this time (he says). I was so angry at myself for all those shirts and pull overs that I took out and never wore even once.
      But you know as great as a trip this was, it was so nice to get back home again. You're right again, there is no place (home) like it.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Have a good trip home, we look forward to hearing more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      We had an excellent trip home. And I was really lucky because I was able to change my flight plans and traveled back with Pat. I was so happy I had to hug the flight agent at LAX for suggesting it.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Hope you have a smooth flight home and aren't seated by the bathroom. I never sleep well the night before a flight, always concerned I will miss the flight. I am looking forward to reading and seeing photos of your many adventures in the coming days. I too tend to over pack for trips, I will keep that in mind for my trip next month. I hope you return with Pat again to do more exploring and have more adventures.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      We had a wonderful flight back but yes, we were seated right across from the bathroom. I was so lucky to be able to change my flight so Pat and I could fly back to Philadelphia together. That made the five hour flight so much quicker and enjoyable. Health and God (I'm still not religious but I pray when necessary) permitting, we will be back to LA next year. We're going to make this an annual event.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Glenn and I are so glad that you had a great visit here in Los Angeles. We are native So. Cal. boys and would not live any where else. Next time, try to visit San Diego, it is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      I was thinking of you and Glenn when we were at the Griffith Observatory (where Glenn works right?) I told Pat about you and Glenn and that you used to comment on my blog and it would have been nice to meet up with you. Pat and I are planning on visiting next year again. Maybe we can meet up then. I wanted to visit San Diego this time but we just ran out of time. I hope all is well with you and Glenn. After visiting Los Angeles and California I can see why you love living there so much.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron, it sounds like your vacation was postcard perfect. Despite all that you did, I'm delighted that you still found time to blog and share your adventures along with great photos. I'm looking forward to hearing more details about the trip when you get home. And I'm especially delighted that you finally got to see the place where I lived for 30 years. There's nowhere on earth like Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I cannot extoll the virtues of Los Angeles and southern California enough. Both Pat and I loved it and will definitely be back again this time next year. This time we will be staying at the Doubletree Hotel near Little Tokyo in downtown LA. Where we stayed was nice and an excellent location but I don't want to drive that much anymore. Pat didn't mind but all that traffic made me nervous. Fortunately for me Pat is an excellent driver.
      Both Pat and I were so thrilled to finally see places in person that we had heard about so much over the years. Of course if we had you for our tour guide it would have been even better. Consider that option for next year Jon. Why not?
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I suspect by now you're home! Welcome back to the East Coast! We love you, Ron and Pat!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      We're home now and recovering. What a trip and a ten day stay in La La Land. We loved it! I know you would have too! Bloggerpalooza next year in LA!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I am glad you had a lovely experience.
    Too many clothes is not as bad as too few.
    Safe journey to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I cannot wait until my next trip. This time FOR SURE: two shirts and NO MORE. I was so angry at myself for all those clothes I lugged out to LA then lugged back, not having worn any of them even ONCE. Never again.
      We had a wonderful safe journey home and an extra bonus because I was able to change my flight so I could travel back with Pat to Philly.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Bon retour ! Looking forward to more stories and photos! I haven't been back to California since 2005, and that trip didn't include LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      We LOVED LA! All the bad I heard about LA (and the traffic is BAD, make no mistake about that), we both fell in love with LA. Can't wait to go back and we will.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Can't wait for the recap... safe journeys!

    ReplyDelete