Monday, January 05, 2015

Only Two Days To Go



Only two days to go folks. This time Wednesday I'll be on a U.S. Air flight direct to Los Angeles, California. 

I have a couple of worries though until I get to that date.  Bill has a bad cold now.  I HOPE I don't get THAT.  That's all I need, to be coughing and sneezing and aching all over as I board the plane.  On second thought, if I'm that sick I won't board any plane.  I'll just have to forfeit my ticket price (I have the cheaper non-refundable tickets).  Hopefully I won't be faced with that choice.

My other worry is that we'll have an unexpected snowstorm up Philly way or even here, God forbid. No snow is forecast for here (which is southern Delaware) but one inch or more is forecast for Philly.  Monica, my co-worker is transporting me to the airpot in her all weather SUV and she is fearless.  We'll make it even if it does snow.


I'm feeling a little achy right now but I often feel like that at my age (there he goes with the "age" thing again). This morning I'm going to finish my "Making Things Easy for My Family" booklet JUST in case I don't make it back here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. This is something I've been putting off for months, but I better get with it now.

I had to show Bill how to text message again this morning.  I forget how many times I've shown him but he still keeps forgetting.  I don't know if it is his age (86) or he's just not wired to think cognitively that way.  I tell him "Even a three year old can text" (I'm helpful that way) but that doesn't seem to help him either.  Bill's going to pick me up at the airport (Monica isn't available on that date). I've shown him FaceTime but like some of my friends, he doesn't like to FaceTime. What's with that anyway?

The temperatures have dropped quite a bit here folks from yesterday's 68 degrees. It's 37 degrees here now and dropping to 16 degrees when I leave on Wednesday.  Oh how I am looking forward to the warm climes of the Golden State.  

I hope I'm not beating this trip of mine to death and boring you all but this is all that is on my mind now.  Once I'm out in California and settled down for the next ten days I'll be cool. I promise. 

16 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Sorry to hear of Bill's cold. I wouldn't worry so much about catching Bill's cold as I would worry about what I could catch after spending 6 hours in a very confined space with strangers who have who knows what. I try to touch as little as possible and not put my hands in my mouth etc. I have flown in the past and gotten sick several days AFTER I got off the plane. Not a pleasant experience but definitely out of your control.
    Keep your fingers crossed (and to yourself).
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Oh I've thought about that germ spreading environment that is the airplane tube. One of the worst colds I ever caught in my life was while attending a Christmas memorial service at a local funeral home about ten years ago. My Mother and aunt wanted to attend. I went into that small, closed room that was full of people, many of whom were coughing , sneezing and sniffing. I said to my Mother "If I don't catch a cold here I never will." And wouldn't you know it, one of the worst colds of my life! The next year she wanted to attend I told her to go with my aunt, I would pass. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get Bill's cold. I am feeling a little achy and tired but I don't know is that is symptomatic or for real. I'm hoping it's just me worrying needlessly. I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed Jack.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hey Ron - it's often due to stress that our systems fail to ward off those unwanted germs. And planning and worrying about doing that can be a lot of stress. I get that too. I'm just letting things flow as best I can as I'm not really a traveller or especially a flier. But the less I allow myself to get concerned the more relaxed I feel about the whole thing. Of course it'll be completely different on arrival. Free as a bird. Just happy wandering!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You're right about stress causing illness. Today I'm gong to try and lower the level of stress that I have. I have to zone out today so I'm ready for the necessary stress of the airport and flight tomorrow. I'll just be happy once we're there and settled in for ten days. Then I can relax.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Tablespoon twice a day of Apple Cider Vinegar(I know yuk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Apple cider vinegar? I don't know about that. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I hope you avoid coming down with Bill's cold, but if you do get it don't stay home. Try some extra vitamin C, coldeeze, and make sure to get extra rest. I have done a good bit of flying the past eight years and not once have come down with anything. Before you get on the plane be sure and buy a big bottle of water and drink it. Every time they come down the aisle and offer something to drink, pick juice or water and drink it. Yes, you will have to visit the tiny bathroom from time to time, but it is good exercise and gets you out of your seat. Also bring or buy something to eat on the long flight, you will get hungry. I usually travel with nuts, cheese, crackers and grapes (yes they will let grapes through security) or an apple. The cost of food at the airport is outrageous and not very good.

    I will never get tired of reading your posts before a trip! I can't wait to read your posts during your trip along with video's. Take a video or two if you do go to Disneyland for me!

    Looks like the weather is warming up here with no rain in sight! Bring those swim trunks...

    Cindy from Sonoma

    PS...we really still need lots of rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Bill is better and I don't feel like I'm getting a cold (thank God). It won't be necessary for me to bring something to eat on flight, I can fast for six hours. Good advice about drinking the water. That I will do. I like grapes (and have some good red ones in the refrigerator right now) but I can't see me getting them past security. For sure I'm not buying food at the airport. A captive customer that they can charge whatever they want for sub par food.
      One more post before the trip. That's what I'm going to do now. Then to try and lower my stress levels today.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Don't worry, be happy, it will be a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I'm trying might hard not to stress out here. Now maybe if I was a seasoned traveler like you . . . . . .
      Ron

      Delete
  6. avoid wickedness; adjure indecorous behaviors; call home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      One thing about me and Pat that you can be sure of, we're both very good boys. (smile - BIG smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Hi Ron, Answer to your question, no you are not going on too much about your trip. I think you're just psyched and happy, you are going on a grand adventure. I do wish I was joining you both. Just be sure to wave when you fly over my house Wednesday. It's the frozen patch of ground 100 miles west of the Missouri River. lol. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Oh yes, I am psyched about the trip. Not used to traveling like this. Back in the day (the Seventies) when I traveled regularly by plane, I didn't think too much of all the variables of traveling. Now I worry. I'll take a look out the window when I'm flying over your section of the country, looking for that frozen patch of ground 100 miles west of the Missouri River.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Good advice from all of your readers. Keep the stress to a minimum (easier said than done) and take extra vitamins. I hope Bill is feeling better and I certainly hope you won't catch a cold! All of that Los Angeles smog should help kill any germs. Take care.
    I agree with Bill, I don't like FaceTime, either. Texting annoys me, but it's a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Actually I don't like FaceTime with most people. But with my friends Larry and Pat I prefer FaceTime. Don't know why, maybe it's because we're such good friends. I've tried it with some other people but I feel uncomfortable looking at them all the time as I am sure they feel equally uncomfortable looking at me. I guess it has to do with the level of friendship.
      Bill is feeling better (thank goodness). Snow flurries today (DON'T SNOW!) . One more day and I'm off to the races.
      Ron

      Delete