Monday, March 31, 2014

Have I Been Here Before?



Reincarnation, I've talked about it before.  Reincarnation has always intrigued me.  I find it more plausible than the fairy tale (no offense intended to my religiosity practicing friends) of organized religion.

My earliest memory was "I am starting all over again."  I distinctly remember beginning again.  This memory occurred when I was about four years old.  I remember the time because it was before I began first grade of elementary school at five years old.


The "Black and White" days with my brothers (('m in the enter) at the ole swimming hole in the Fifties

At different milestone periods during my life I felt like I was being given the opportunity to make a decision of what road to take.  Sometimes I've chosen correctly and sometimes not.  My life has felt like one big test…..again.




During all my challenges in life, times when I had to make life changing decisions, I've always felt that I had an unseen guardian angel by my side.  Perhaps others would call this feeling "Faith."  I prefer to think of my guardian angel as a male figure, much like me, guiding me and protecting me.  





I never thought I would live as long (this time) as I have.  During the past ten years many of my friends, former co-workers, and classmates have died.  Much to my surprise I find myself one of the few left standing.  


Jay, one of my friends now gone.  It seems just like a few months ago we were standing in front of this sign in Lewes waiting for our table to open at the restaurant

Last year I had several life threatening medical situations.  I've been fortunate in that I seem to be recovering from those conditions.  But I'm realistic enough to know that sooner or later something is going to get this 72 year old traveler of the universe.  I just hope it's not like my friend Bob McC. who is in a total care facility now, having something to bath him, dress him and clean up after him after he goes to the bathroom.

When I go I want to go like my cousin Randy below. He wasn't sick, he just didn't wake up one morning.  Randy, that's the way I want to go.


My late cousin Randy with his mother (my late aunt) at Simpson Meadows, 2004

I noted with some irony that in August of last year I met a person who seemingly came out of nowhere and has provided a much comfort and happiness at this time in my life.  Yes, I was married last year to my longtime partner after 49 years of living together.  And yes, we are very happy.

Me and Bill
 

But I never had that special friend, some I was very compatible with.  We understand each other.  Bill and I are almost the exact opposites, even though we love each other dearly.  Of course that person, for those of you who follow this blog, is Pat.  I now kid him and ask him "Are you my guardian angel come to life to whisk me away?"  I don't know folks but what I do know is that everything seems to be falling into place.  And as Martha Stewart said "That's a good thing."  Just a thought folks, rambling on here on this last day of March in 2014.  Just a thought. 


"Going Down?"

8 comments:

  1. I'm very surprised that in the 2nd picture, you all aren't naked and skinny dipping! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      No skinning dipping in this family!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    Reincarnation has been a subject that has interested me for quite awhile. I cannot say for sure that I have lived a prior life but I can say that over the years some of the interests ie. western life especially has always made me have that familiar feeling especially when I read about the pioneer wagon trains going west. My other earlier interest was the combination of two books, Andersonville and House Divided. I just recently found out that my great great grandfather (my great grandmother's father) whom I was named after died in Andersonville as a prisoner of war during the civil war and is buried there. Again, those books which I read when I was years younger have always stayed in my mind. I could be a reincarnation of my great great grandfather. I have a picture of his grave on Ancestry.com, I found the picture from Find-a-Grave. According to my sister who is a self proclaimed scholar of Christianity, angels are male, period, no argument. Personally if I am reincarnated and I have a choice which I understand I do, this would be my last run.
    Peace,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Fascinating information about your family and your great-great grandfather. My great-great grandfather (John Tipton) was shot in an ambush by a Confederate Calvary led my Col. Noah Wichter. My great-great grandfather lived in the mountains of western North Carolina where there was much support for the Union Cause. Noah Wichter and his Confederate calvary roamed the mountains trying to stamp out recruiting for the Union forces. Unfortunately for my great-great grandfather and his brother-in-law they were ambushed and shot to death, my great-great grandfather being shot in the side. My great-great grandmother and her neighbor, a woman by the name of Presley, recovered the bodies and buried them. Last year I found where he was buried. Very emotional for me. My great-great grandfather left a widow with eight children, one of whom was my great grandfather Hiram Tipton. I am also a member of Ancestry.com and Find a Grave.com, who incidentally was also founded by a relative of mine, Jim Tipton. He's a fifth cousin. Small world!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Guardian angel? Of course they exist. Mine introduced herself in a childhood dream --a heavy Creole woman. In the dream she guided me through a dark swamp of quicksands and nonpotable pools."Pison!" she'd whisper and direct me safely out of the dream. I have met her twice in waking life and felt a great calm overtake me. I am not a very religious man but there are definitely guardian angels on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      Sure, guardian angels or the equivalent exists. This I know. Of course believing in the existence of my own personal guardian angel doesn't put money into organized church coffers so that may be why organized church frowns upon their existence. I'm a very spiritual person, not beholding to any organized religion but if one finds comfort in organized religion, I'm happy for them. I understand the feeling of great calm that you had with your guardian angel, I have had similar occurrences with my guardian angel who is a man, thank goodness.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. OK, Ron, I am going to harp on the subject of you having a sleep study again. You say that you don't want to end up in a care facility with senility. Unfortunately, one of the problems of apnea is low oxygen saturation which can lead to cognitive decline. You don't want to be losing those brain cells a few at a time. You very well may not have severe apnea and low oxygen desaturations, but it is worth finding out. Though severe apnea does lead to right sided heart failure and pulmonary hypertension, you could get your wish of dying in your sleep. But by that point, your quality of life would be awful. Please reconsider the sleep study. Finding out that it is normal should give you great peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Thank you for your advice but I'm going to pass on this medical test. I just don't feel right about it and my intuition is almost always right.
      Ron

      Delete