![]() |
| "Joe" (right) and friend - abt. 1976 Rehoboth Beach, Delaware |
Hello there,
For about 20 years I have been trying to find some information about the where about of Joe Murtha. I met a Joe Murtha in Philadelphia in 1976, kept a friendship with him for many years, mainly through correspondence, I saw him last in 1990. Soon after that I lost contact. I have written to old addresses, to old organizations in which he was active in the 70s and 80s and Googled his name many times through out the years.
Today I tried again, I Googled his name and the information in the form of Memorial page came up, the one that you have created. I would like to know more about his last years of life. Some how his abruptly stop of communication with me has been an enigma that bothered me. I would like to chat with you about Joe if you allow me. I almost sure your Joe is the same Joseph Hope Murtha that I met and lived at 1926 Spruce St, Philadelphia in the summer of 1976. He made in mark in my life.
Paz y Bien,
Juan ……………….
I received this e-mail last night. I knew Joe Murtha. He was a friend of mine…..sort of.
![]() |
| Joe - 1980 at "The Ranch" |
Back in the day, Joe and I were very competitive when we used to frequent the 247 Bar in Philadelphia. Yes Virginia, back in my "every weekend out to the bars looking for Mr. Right."
I received this e-mail from someone who knew Joe and wondered what happened to him. This is one of the many things I like about the Internet and the Digital Age. Unfinished business can be resolved.
![]() |
| Me and "Mr. Right" at The Ranch - 1980 |
In the years since I began my blog in 2005, I have received several such inquiries from my past. I am always glad to help provide information to those who are attempting to close a chapter in their life.
![]() |
| Maybe not "Mr. Right" after all |
I called Juan V. today and gave him the information on Joe that he asked for. I told him that Joe died in 1994 of AIDS related causes. I also told him that Joe was cremated and his ashes spread over his five acre parcel of property he and is partner Bob M. (who died a year previously also of AIDS related causes) owned and spent their weekends away from their home in New Jersey.
![]() |
| Joe (center) with my friend Bob H. (on left - lots of "Bobs" in my life) and my other friend Bob (on the right with finger pointing) |








9 comments:
what a tale.
I, too, "enjoy"(?) the memories like this. It's nice to reconnect with people who had similar interests and knew my friends. I've found several people through third party "No idea they could have known ____" encounters.
A fine tribute to someone who seems like, although he was cheap, a good friend.
Peace <3
Jay
Thanks for Sharing .....
Roger,
Just another one of the memories from my kaleidoscope past.
Ron
Jay,
Cheap isn't the word for Joe. He was downright miserly. He lived very frugally all his life and when he died he left an estate of over $250,000. Didn't take a penny with him. Joe was a piece of work but he was a friend.
Ron
Dr. Spo,
Joe would have been a challenge for you. Goodhearted yet self-destructive and mean at the same time.
Ron
Dear Ron: I just noticed that you no longer have a link to "on transmigration.' Did you and the cajun have a falling out??? Is there anything I can do? He isn't well........just wondering. Miles
Miles,
I am sorry he isn't well. But I have distanced myself from him. He only seems capable of striking out at me. I don't need it. I have enough problems of my own to deal with, including my own family. I wish him well. Thank you for your offer of help but there is nothing to be done from my side. I'm tired.
Ron
Post a Comment