Monday, March 03, 2014

Oscar Hangover and Other Random Musings

Meryl Streep gets the Pharrell treatment - was this really necessary?

Here we go again!  More snow.  Holy smokes, what is going on here?  Thank bejesus we here in Lower Slower haven't been hit with the really big snowstorms up the rest of the East coast.  Haven't had the power go out once folks!  I couldn't say that if we still lived in Pennsylvania.  My poor brother Isaac, throw out all that frozen food in the freezer.


As Ellen DeGeneres said "The best Liza Minelli impersonator I've in years. Thank you sir!"

Well folks, I don't have to go into work today.  I'm not scheduled to go into work until Wednesday.  The new guy goes in today.  This is his first night solo.  I hope he lasts.  He's the fifth person I've trained for this part-time front desk job.  It's getting old folks.  When I worked at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, PA I was also the default trainer of front desk clerks.  I had to have trained at least two dozen front desk clerks there.  In fact, the day I quit I was supposed to train yet another young man on the front desk.  A regular revolving door, working front desk at a hotel except for the Old Guy here.


The beautiful Kerry Washington slips on her wrinkled hotel bed sheets and attends the Oscars 

I did watch a bit of the Oscars last night.  I usually have the TV in the kitchen on as wallpaper when I'm cooking.  Last night I made another one of my delightful refreshing lemon pound cakes.  I saw some of the red carpet extravaganza and Ellen's opening monologue.  Ellen was good.  Later on Jim Carrey, who just can't help himself overreacting, embarrassed himself with his lame riff. Jim, you just not funny.  Go away.  


Sandra - FABULOUS!

After I made my cake I talked on FaceTime for a couple hours with a friend.  We finished in time to catch the end of the Oscars so I saw who won. I was happy with the winners and plan to see the movies except "Twelve Years a Slave."  I'm sure it's a very good movie but I don't care to see all that negativity, cruelty and violence.  I did like "The Help" though so I'm not immune to social conscious movies.  It's just that I don't care to see relentless cruelty, that's not entertainment to me.


Jared Leto - uh……..I'm speechless. I know the tight leg thing is in now but …I have to think about this

Only two weeks to go to Bloggerpalooza!  I have to review the "prizes" and make up the name tags. I am so sad that Sassy Bear and his hubby Jeffrey are unable to come but we still have about 22 folks attending.  My Canadian friend (and you know who that is.
Mr. Toronto (Pat)
will be coming down early next Monday.  I hope my then we're done with this snow.  It's getting old folks, real old.  Bright sunny days guaranteed for the Bloggerpalooza.



Pharrell Williams and spouse - what am I missing here?




12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Sandra does look fab!! That gown is stunning. It's a shame Kerry Washington didn't have better attire, as she is a very beautiful woman. I believe she's pregnant??? I read in the news, this morning, that Liza was not amused with Ellen comparing her to a drag queen. If the shoe fits, honey.... Hope you have a great day!
    Your friend,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      So Liza wasn't too happy that Ellen compared her to a drag queen. I LOVE IT! Well, she does look like one doesn't she? And yes, Kerry Washington is pregnant.
      Have a great day James!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I never watch the Oscars (apart from because it being on at a hopeless time for us Europeans) - all that self-congratulatory luviness and applauding others for winning the award of which they themselves thought they were more deserving - it all just turns my stomach. However, I've got to say that Bradley Cooper just gets yummier and yummier, and the look of that hirsuted Jared Leto, this year, was enough to almost steal the entire show. I'll catch up on the highlights with any faux pas later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Ray! You are so right about Bradley Cooper. Did you see him on the red carpet with Jonah? So adorable. Bradley is not only drop dead gorgeous, he has a wonderful personality which seals the deal for me with any man. I couldn't watch the whole show, I can't take too much of the acceptance speeches but I do like to star gaze, always fascinating the human condition especially a bunch of self-important phonies, which is essentially what actors are. However, I do enjoy a good performance though.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. MY GOD - - IS THAT REALLY LIZA?!?!?!? I truly did think that it was a drag queen!!!!!!! What the hell happened to her face? It looks like she had plastic surgery in Tijuana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Forty years ago (1974), when I used to visit Provincetown regularly, all the drag shows had a standard Liza impersonator. Then, when I moved to Delaware and Gayberry (Rehoboth Beach), I see the drag queens are still doing Liza impersonations. However, I think the Liza impersonators have come full cycle because most of them look more like Liza than Liza does now. Good question, WHAT HAPPENED TO LIZA? Looks like she overdosed on Boxtox.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    Snow is a four letter word in my neck of the woods. Right now at 3:15PM we have a light dusting but that's on top of rain and sleet which the weather forecast says will be hell to drive on during the afternoon commute. I watched the Oscars long enough to see Ellen's opening up to Jared Leto's acceptance speech which I thought was the best I have heard in some time. Liza? I honestly thought that Ellen was for talking to drag queen for real when they showed the "real Liza". The years have not been gentle to her, whatever happened to aging gracefully?
    Hoping there is no snow forecast for bloggerpalooza, at least on the Wednesday traveling day. If there is bad weather after Saturday I don't care, a few extra days there won't be a problem.
    Take care.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      The sun is out as I write this reply but the temperatures are still below freezing so this snow and ice will stay around awhile. This is the longest winter I can remember since we moved to Delaware in 2006. Dr. Spo would like to see snow at the Bloggerpalooza but hopefully this mess will be gone by next week. Don't worry if you're stuck in Lewes, there are a lot of worse places to be stuck. Lewes is actually quite nice, even in cold weather. Lots to do.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:18 PM

    I know what Liza looks like, and I am fine with it. She's made her choices, wrong as they may be, much like my beloved Mary Tyler Moore. Her voice is the same, and that's why I love her. Why is no one talking about the train wreck of poor Kim Novak's face?!? She looked like she got the Joker poison from the first (and best; perhaps only exceeded by the sequel with Ms. Michelle Pfeiffer) Batman movie by Tim Burton. I've been doing impersonations of it all day! I am all for plastic surgery, but there is a time you need to be out of the public eye afterwards. Look at Sally Fields for someone who can manage to age gracefully.

    ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Poor Liza and those like her who try to desperately hold onto there looks. It's a loosing cause. I missed Kim Novak's appearance. I just can't sit through two hours of the other awards and all those phonies crowding the stage. I agree with you about Sally Fields. Some of us can age gracefully. Look at me! My dermatologist who is actually a plastic surgeon gave me the ultimate compliment the first time he saw me "You don't look 70." I'm now 72 and I don't plant to ever have anything done to my face. What you see is what you get.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I watched the show. It was long and a tad boring but Ellen a breath of fresh air. I wish Pharrell Williams "Happy" had won for best song. I love it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM&feature=kp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I thought Ellen did very well. I didn't hear Pharrell Williiams song. I'll check it out. Thanks for sending the link.
      Ron

      Delete