Sunday, March 09, 2014

I Always Wanted To Be a Model!



A couple of days ago I received an e-mail from a 16 year old Canadian asking if he could use and old photo of me changing a flat tire in an ad he was doing for a local company.

Of course my ego was stroked, who doesn't like being asked?  I know I do.  Then I thought, "Is this just another twist on a scam?"  Now let's see, do I have to send money somewhere to have my photo used?  Do I have to click on a link?  And why did he feel it necessary to tell me he was 16 years old?  

Isn't it a shame folks that in the Digital Age we have to be so suspicious of every unsolicited e-mail we receive?  For all I know this is some kind of scam, then maybe not.  Well, I sent him an e-mail back giving my permission.  

He thanked me and sent me a photo of the ad.  What do you think folks?  

Now here is the irony.  I didn't actually change that tire.  I've never changed a flat tire in my life.  Oh sure, that was a flat tire.  It happened during Bill and our trip down South in the summer of 1966.  We really did get a flat.  But do you think I'm going to get my hands all greasy and take the change of breaking a fingernail?  Think again.  Yep folks, the picture is a fake.  But hey, aren't almost all the photos you see in ads fake?  So there you go.  I have real potential as a legitimate model:  I'm fake and I'm posing.  


My "model" pose

10 comments:

  1. How fantastic!!! I love the ad and I remember the photo from the first time you posted it. I can fully understand your initial skepticism when you read the email, but I'm delighted that it turned out to be legitimate.

    You obviously have a lot of wonderfully interesting people who read your blog. I do, too, but none of them has ever mentioned my photos or wanted to use them in ads. Of course, I don't have nearly as many photos as you do and I'm extremely selective about which ones I post.
    Perhaps I should dig out some of the nude photos that were taken when I lived in Hollywood (I'm not kidding).
    On second thought - - that might scare everyone away.

    By the way, I changed my first flat tire when I was eighteen and I've been changing them ever since. And I haven't yet broken a fingernail.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I'm still not sure this was a legitimate request but I did check the tire company and it does exist. I actually got another request last year to use another one of my photos. This one from France and he wanted to use my high school band photo in a documentary he was making. I haven't heard anything since on the finished product.
      I was kidding about breaking my fingernails. I do it all the time when I'm gardening or doing housework. I just never got into changing tires since Bill was always available. Besides, I was always afraid the car would drop once I jacked it up.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I knew you were kidding about broken fingernails. Believe it or not, my fingernails break when I play the piano - - unless I cut them VERY short.

      Delete
  2. you poseur! I've never changed a tire in my life either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total fake Anne Marie. It's all an allusion. :)

      Delete
  3. That's pretty cool, I think! I would share your suspicion, but I think an email like this is a nice thing. You've already seen that some people simply steal the pictures for what could only be nefarious reasons.

    CYA Thursday!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture, it was nice of him to ask permission, frequently pictures on the web just get copied and used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I'm still not sure if this was a legit request but still the request was a nice boost for my ego.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:48 PM

    Ron, what a handsome model you are! You are perfect in the ad. Sorry I cannot make it to the bloggerpalooza on Saturday night but would like to met everyone at Saturday lunch in Rehoboth. Maybe someone can tell me how not to be anonymous. I'm not a blogger but enjoy reading blogs. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete