Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Taxes Filed!



What a difference a year makes folks!  Every year I file my taxes, I owe.  No matter that I receive a modest monthly Social Security payment (never made vice president in my corporate career), a few modest (very modest) pension payments and a barely double digit W-2 wages from my part-time job as a front desk clerk at a local hotel, I ALWAYS OWE.  

Uncle Greedy


No matter that I have been the head of this household and been the sole support of my 85 year old partner for the past thirty years (he retired early at 55 at my urging because he was traveling too much on his job).  Because we are of the same sex and legally unable to get married, we were penalized.  Oh sure, we've all heard about the "marriage penalty."  That's when the straights figured out that two working couples paid the same in taxes as two gay couples living together.  Couldn't have that could we?  Oh no, have to give the straights yet another benefit so our lawmakers had to pass yet another law giving the straights even another tax break.  

Rep. Louie Gohmert - one of the many major asshat legislatures that pass discriminatory tax laws against gays and single folks


I have always paid more in taxes than my straight fellow citizens.  No matter that some of my best friends are straight, Bill and I were still discriminated against just because we were gay. NO matter that we have been living together in the same household since March of 1965, didn't matter.  You're gay, you pay more. 

Think this Republican cares?

Well folks, this past summer Bill and I got married on our 49th anniversary.  Today I filed a joint tax return. Now didn't that feel good?  Yes it did.

No longer "less than"


So here's the lowdown folks, by filing a joint tax return this year I receive a REFUND of $945.00.  Yes, you read it right…..A REFUND!  How about that?



Just for the fun of it I figured out our taxes if we filed separately.  Guess what?  I would have OWED $2,381.00!  That's a difference of $3,326.00!  Now that is significant folks. 



And my tax rate has gone from almost 20% to Mitt Romney levels.  Welcome to the world of equality Ron. 

The Mittster isn't liking this - The Gays being treated equally - what's this world coming too?


Feels good folks, feels real good.

John McCain, aka "Old Gumpy" and War Monger - wondering how we're going to pay for the next war now that the government is getting less of "the gay" dollar



16 comments:

  1. Ron,
    What a difference having the right to marry means not only for the declaration of love between two individuals but also the discrimination that the IRS and the government in general has imposed upon gay couples. I would love to live long enough to see gay marriage become a national law rather than one state at a time. There will always be those in the majority in some states that will never get it. Anyway congratulations on your rightfully deserved windfall. I hope you use it for something nice for both you and Bill.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Thanks. The "windfall" will go towards paying the heating bill for this very cold and long winter.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Now don't go spend it all in one place.....like on Jack'd Doritos! lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise,
      I have a special account set up for my Jac'd Doritos. Every hear I owe money, it's nice not to have to dip into savings to pay Uncle Greedy for once.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news! 49 years is a long time to wait. We are awaiting final decision on the federal decisions in two states, 21 years for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Yes, it was a very long wait. You just don't know. I'm glad we were still alive to experience it.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is more than just pocket change! What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Now I think of all those years I've overpaid in taxes just because I was gay. Well, at least this injustice has been corrected now.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Hi, Ron. Something I really enjoy about your blog is how you supplement it with pictures. Not just your own, but also ones from the web (I'm guessing about that, I admit). You always find great images!

    However, I am trying to figure out what the small, rectangular fenced area is in your banner photo. In my mind, I have it narrowed down to a pet cemetery or a kind of screen for unsightly utility boxes. Unless it is a very private four-poster bed for a garden gnome. Can you clue me in?

    OH! And great news about the refund! "At Last" by Etta James played in my head while I read this post!

    ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      I love supplementing my blog posts with visual aids. Makes the post so much more interesting and fun, don't you think? However, I always do like to include something personal. I don't want my posts to be too antiseptic.
      The small fenced off area? Behind that PVC fence (that Bill built) is a electric transformer for our house and our neighbor's house. Bill thinks transformers are ugly planted on the beautiful lawn so he put a fence around it which I plant clematis flowering vines. Our goal is always to cover the ugly with beauty. Thanks for asking!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron

    That's terrific. Glad you did the comparison of what you would have owed versus now what you get back. That is significant!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Yes, it is VERY SIGNIFICANT. It is such a relief to be treated equally after a lifetime of subsidizing straight families. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Well, actually there is but I won't go there now.
      Ron

      Delete