Thursday, March 06, 2014

Frustration!



Certain things frustrate me a lot.  One of the main culprits is the all too often glitches in this digital age.  Remember yesterday when I was so happy to have finished our taxes (our first joint return ever) and discovered that we (instead of "I", I have to get used to the plural now that we're officially married) get MONEY BACK.  So I file my returns through Turbo Tax electronically.  And what do I get?  REJECTED!  Here I go again folks….REJECTED!




Nobody likes to be rejected, especially us gay folks, especially ME.  Damn!  What did I do wrong now?  I see the message that I got Bill's date of birth wrong.  Hmmmmm…..it's the same date of birth he's been using for the last 85 years.  WTF?




So I give it another try.  I reenter his date of birth and resubmit the returns.  And hour later I hear the "DING!" on my cell phone.  I get yet another text message that my e-filing has been REJECTED!  Damn!  WTF?  




To make a long story short and also to minimize your pain and suffering of reading this, I tried FIVE TIMES to submit, changing little things here and there.  Of course I was defying Albert Einstein's definition of insanity:

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results





So, this morning to get my sanity back I put my brain in gear and went to the Turbo website and dug a little deeper for an explanation of the error code.  It indicated that the date of birth I put in for Bill didn't match his Social Security records.  Uh…..okay.  I head to the record keeping department here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  I pull out the parchment like envelope that contains Bill Social Security number and birth certificate.  You think the document paper for the Declaration of Independence is old, you should see Bill's papers.  Now that's OLD.  



For the past 85 years Bill has always thought he was born on the 26th of September.  Guess what?  His birth certificate says he was born….are you ready?……he.was.born…(wait for it)…..the 25th of September. OH.MY.GOD.   


Bill just found our he is another day older…..all those years

I go back to Turbo Tax.  I change Bill's date of birth from the 26th to the 25th.  Again I e-file our joint tax returns and…….hold my breath.  I'm thinking if this isn't straightened out I'm going to be seriously f--cked up when I go to work today. And that can't happen because when working the front desk I have to be happy and jolly and not preoccupied with another distractions.  That's not my style.

Nervously and unsettled I await for the hour or so it takes to be notified whether or not the IRS has accepted my return.  Guess what?  VIOLA!  They accepted it!  Big WHOOP!  



Oh yes, there is a God in Heaven.  




I don't need this stress folks. Especially with my Bloggerpalooza extravaganza coming up in just a little over a week.  I'm gathering up the prizes now for all my blogger friends who are making the trek to Lewes, Delaware.  I needs to be unencumbered with other problems.  I need to be totally relaxed.  Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup.



20 comments:

  1. YAYZ! so bill is 9/25, not 26...one silly day. and your writing is full of wit today. I will speak with you tonight re: the meetup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Every day is an adventure!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. That is a very funny story (about Bill's bd not the rejection).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Bill's still i disbelief. All these years and he had his birthday wrong.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Figures. I wonder why they care how old you are anyway?

    Looking forward to the palooza!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Turbo Tax wanted to verify that Bill existed thus it ties directly into his Social Security record. I guess this is to prevent fraud by making up a name and using that person as a dependent on a tax return.

      This time next week Jay!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:31 PM

    Hi, Ron. I, too, am sorry for your frustration, but it was a funny story! How does Bill feel about you aging him by a day? Fun aside, however, you might have stumbled upon a problem. It might be important to make sure any records for Bill (Driver's License/ID, Social Security, health records, financial records, will, etc.) get updated with his correct DOB. I'm surprised this hasn't been a problem before. The easiest thing to change would probably be his DL/ID (mine had the wrong city on it for the longest time; I learned to check things very carefully) and then with state-issued picture ID and birth certificate in hand the rest should fall into place. However, it can likely wait until after your all's blogger get together.
    ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      I'm going to leave sleeping dogs lie. I don't dare get into that thicket of changing the date on his driver's license, VA, Social Security or Medicare. Not unless something comes up. I'll deal with it then.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that you put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and finally got it all figured out. And you kept your sense of humor about it. Ironically, September 26 was my father's birthday.

    (Hey, I hope that you said something good when you and Anne Marie talked about me.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      One has to maintain a sense of humor with frustrations likes this. I know you understand. I had another whole day of frustration today trying to get my bedroom TV hooked up to Netflix. I was going to blog about it but decided not to bore everyone with two days in a row of my frustrations. Anne Marie had all good to say about you Jon. We both agreed that you're a little to the right of us (do you think?) but we're overlooking that because you're such a sweetheart. We both like you as do all of your many followers. Your goodness comes out in your blog Jon. It's there and we all see it. You can't hide it. :) We'll miss you at the Bloggerpalooza. Maybe next year.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, in answer to your comment on my blog - - I think the Stephen King book/movie about the car was called "Christine" but my memory is hazy.

      Delete
    3. Jon,

      You're right! Now I remember.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,
    Well, it pays to save some things doesn't it? I find it interesting that programs like Turbo-Tax will tell you there's a problem but not WHAT the problem is. I find that happens on some (all) government websites that I have to deal with periodically. Oh the digital age is something I can't live without these days but I find some sites not very user friendly.
    Counting the days.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Turbo Tax actually did tell me what the problem was, his birthdate was wrong but I was stuck and couldn't go any further because I assumed his birthdate was correct. It wasn't until I checked his birth certificate (after I kept hitting the wall) that I found out it was different. Thankfully, it's done now and my refund will soon be on it's way. But it is frustrating that there always seems to be a glitch.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. time for a bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will Jim Beam do or Jack Daniel's?

      Delete
    2. yech
      proper bourbon rather - no rubbish !

      Delete
  8. You can celebrate his birthday on two days, the paper work date and the traditional date - kind of like Queen Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Bill would not be pleased with the Queen Elizabeth comparison.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Ron

    Your selection of photos to go with the post are hilarious. Love it. I wimp out and pay to have my taxes done.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete