Friday, November 01, 2013

Mr. Popularity

Suzanne and Joan of New Jersey


"Ron? Is that you Ron Tipton? I can't believe it!  It's Ron Tipton!"  

That was the question and statement that I had thrown at me last night at the hotel as these two lady guests came back to the hotel after having dinner at a local Lewes eatery.

Some background information:  this past summer I received an e-mail from the above mentioned Suzanne (the blonde lady in the leather jacket on the left).  She was browsing the Internet looking for options to retire to Delaware and guess whose blog she came across?  Right!  Le mein!  Moi!

She wrote me that she and her longtime partner Joan (together over thirty years) were seriously considering moving from their log cabin in the woods of Wayne, New Jersey to the tax and gay friendly coastal shores of southern Delaware.  I said I would be glad to offer her advice. 

We've exchanged a few e-mails since that initial contact and I've given her advice, mainly to move to Milton, Delaware.  In Milton one isn't too far away from the action in Rehoboth Beach and Lewes but out of the summertime traffic headaches.  

The past month or so I didn't hear anything from Suzanne.  Then last night, viola!  Karma!  Who would've thunk?  Of all the gin joints in all of the towns of all the world she walks into mine - oh wait!  That's what Rick (Humphrey Bogart said in "Casablanca") - in the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach area of Delaware whose hotel do they choose?  MINE!  

"This must be karma!" Suzanne said.  

Well, we had a nice little chat.  Right now they're in Milton meeting with their realtor to work out the details to buying a house in one of the several new developments in Milton.  Suzanne said she would call after they're done and stop over the house to meet Bill.  

Again, I am reminded of how powerful the Internet is and specifically my blog.  Also coming down this week for a week long visit is my new found friend Pat from Toronto, Canada.  We became friends when he discovered my blog one night while browsing through the Internet.  


Me and my buddy Pat - August 2013 (before my kidney stone attack)

Just a few weeks ago an old friend of my friend Bob McC. visited from San Diego.  He and my friend Bob McC. were an item some thirty years ago.  He didn't know if Bob was still alive but discovered that Bob was still with us, albeit in an assisted care facility.  I was able to facilitate a poignant reunion.


Me and Bob's friend Thom - October 2013
Hey folks, I moved to Delaware for a more relaxes and stress free life (and lower taxes).  I started a blog to expand my range of friends and to feed my life long love of writing.  I would say my "retirement" is working out pretty well, wouldn't you say  Lots of smiles around these parts these days.

Have a great day!

This just in!  Bill and I took a ride to Milton to see the development our new friends Suzanne and Joan are considering moving to.  Guess what, we just ran into them again.  Suzanne asked "Are you following me?"  I told her "No, I'm stalking you!"
She said if she runs into me randomly again like this again "I'm going to start to worry!"

It's all good folks.  Yet another happy LGBT couple moving to the tax and gay friendly shores of southern Delaware.  We're all inclusive here in Delaware folks.


Joan, Kathy (real estate agent) and Suzanne at Heritage Village in Milton, DE today




11 comments:

  1. you are just a popular guy; EVERYONE loves ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      The "Mr. Popularity" was strictly tongue in cheek. I really am a very humble guy. Uh huh. Yes I yam.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are going to have more and more friends living around you. You will be socializing more and that is a wonderful thing as you will all take care of each others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Exactly right. Where Pat is moving (he bought a lot, that's why he is visiting next week), I've met his new neighbors Diane and Margaret. I wasn't able to break into the existing cliques down here the seven years we've lived here, ironically it looks like I'll have to create my own "clique." Mine will be different though, everyone is welcome! Seriously though, what is interesting is that all this is coming about because of my blog. Suzanne contacted me because she saw my "Retired in Delaware" blog and asked if I could give her advice as to where to look to buy a house. She took my advice which is Milton. Not too far from Rehoboth Beach but far enough away to miss all the summertime traffic. I'm glad things are working out. This is another reason I "retired to Delaware." A new start, a new life, a more fulfilling life. We were stuck in PA in a rut. I had to get out of that rut.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. yeah, I think you SHOULD start your own group! you already have a good start, so build on it. and to hell with the "other clique".

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Hmm, looks to me you are slowly creating your own little fief-ton down there, Ronaldslyvania or something.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Well, I didn't qualify for the present groups because I'm not part of that Washington D.C. retiree crowd with the generous government pensions. I just have a lowly bank pension thus I am excluded from their rarefied presence, which is fine with me now although I was thrown a bit off balance when I first moved to Delaware and found I wasn't welcomed. I was told that I would have to seek out the local gay organization (Camp Rehoboth) rather than they welcome me. Funny thing that, I welcome visitors and new arrivals. I thought that's the way a welcoming committee or person work. Little did I know there were different rules. However, everything seems to be working out now.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron

    If the State officials find out about you and your blog they're going to elevate you to Ambassador of Delaware to welcome visitors from abroad. But Ron - you really are that welcoming individual - either thru your blog, at the front desk of the hotel - or even as you are out on walks when you seem to attract so many strangers who just come up to you to chat. It's going to be super to visit with you again.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Thank you for your kind and generous comments. I do meet and welcome a goodly number of visitors to the hotel who are looking to relocate. Usually they are seeking lower taxes and a less hectic lifestyle in their retirement. Yes, I am an unofficial welcoming ambassador for Delaware. Ironically, the hotel often has Chamber of Commerce "Meet and Greets" to which I, of course, am not invited but I do welcome all the attendees as they walk past the front desk of the hotel where I work on their way to the Parkview Room for wine and hors d'oeuvres. As they leave I wish them a good evening, always with a big smile.
      I too am looking forward to your visit Pat. I welcome Canadians too!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post; it is a 'world wide web' indeed - or at least Delaware wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      My blog has opened up a whole new world of wonderful friends for me. I am so appreciative. I've met some really fine folks who have enriched my life immeasurably. I am so happy. Next time I hear someone knocking the Internet and the social interfaces as replacing "normal" social interfaces, I'll tell them don't knock it unless you've tried it. Not only my life but I know others who have met new life friends as well as partners/mates/spouses and significant others. It's all good.

      Ron

      Delete