Friday, November 29, 2013

Lavender Lad

Me, yesterday at work.  I cannot tell you what my co-worker Robert told me to bring this smile to my face (you don't want to know but we DO have fun)

So how was your Thanksgiving?  Mine was just dandy. I worked at the hotel yesterday from 3 pm to 11 pm.  I don't mind working the holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas because the guests are (almost) always in a cheerful and upbeat mood.  Unlike wedding guests (the worst), holiday guests are happy.  They don't seem to be as demanding as the usual wedding guests are.  

Yesterday I wore my new purple outfit to work.  Purple or lavender is probably my favorite color. So hard to get though for men.  This sweater I got from L.L. Bean which is a new thing for them.



 Usually, the only colors available for men's sweaters from L.L. Bean are gray, brown and black.  Come one L.L. Bean!  Get some color!  The really lively colors are for the women.  



I've often wondered "Why doesn't L.L. Bean make colors available for ALL the people?"  Well, finally they have.  Maybe, just maybe diversity is catching up with that staid institution of manliness called L.L. Bean.

Well folks, today is Black Friday.  Leaving work last night after 11 pm and driving north on Rt. 1 to Casa Tipton-Kelly, I witnessed the once a year phenomena called "Driving to the Rehoboth Outlet Mall to take advantage of Black Friday stores opening at 12 am."  Egads!  Can you believe it?  Folks driving down at midnight to SHOP!  Every year I am amazed at that steady steam of headlights headed south on Rt. 1 in the darkness of the cold night.  Nothing is worth that.  Are you kidding?


Well today I have to figure out what to do with this turkey (a real one, not Bill) that our neighbors so graciously gave us for Thanksgiving.  I think I can freeze a lot of the white meat to use in future meals.  I'll have to check it out.  I love turkey though and especially left over turkey.  I'm sure I can come up with some very interesting concoctions for that turkey meat.


What's to to this weekend?  I called my friend Ed who was down for the annual Gay Man's No Place to Go for Thanksgiving dinner. This year the dinner was held at Tim's and Mile's house.  Unlike many years past when it was held at Bob and Jim's but both Bob and Jim are in La La Land the Brandywine Senior Living Center these days so other "arrangements" had to be made.

 My friend Ed said he doesn't know how much longer the annual Gay Man's No Place to Go for Thanksgiving dinner will be held.  Attendance was down to nine this year.  In Bob and Jim's heyday the attendees sometimes totaled two dozen and two turkeys (not including the attendees).  I suggested to Ed that maybe he cold hold the dinner at his place but he shot that suggestion down even before I could finish my sentence.  I'm certainly not holding it at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  My once a year Bloggerpalooza is my thing.  I've done the family reunions.  The poor attendance at this year's reunion has cured me of that folly.  I won't be organizing any more reunions but the Bloggerpalooza I will.  That's a lot of fun with fun people.  I never did like the annual Gay Man's No Place to Go for Thanksgiving dinner because it seemed to me to be a place to get hit on by dirty old men.  At least that was always my experience.  Yes, I'm going down THAT road.  Just telling it like it is folks.  I'll tell you, it's not all fun being a Man Magnet like I am.  

Yep, that's me in the center in front of the curtain (certain old men's picture have been altered because they get their noses out of when I post pictures to the Internet)
So folks, I hope you all have a good day.  After Bill eats his breakfast we're out of here for our Daily Ride.  

Tomorrow I'm going out to lunch with my dear friend The Cajun at the Henlopen Oyster House.  That's right, I don't eat sea food but as The Cajun said "Get a hamburger!"  And indeed, I will.



A "Wimpy" hamburger (with all the fix ins!) at the Purple Parrot in Rehoboth Beach. Yep, that's cheese, bacon, lettuce, onion and tomato and FRENCH FRIES topped off with a lime margarita but  but what kind of glass is THAT for a margarita?


Have a great day!







16 comments:

  1. That's you yesterday? You look like you're still in your 40s! One of the best pics I've yet seen of you - and that sweater is most becoming.
    Have a lovely up-coming w/e, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      That is indeed me yesterday. My co-worker Robert took this picture just as I was taking over his shift. He had just relayed a juicy piece of gossip to me when he snapped this picture. I like purple and look good in purple but have a hard time finding men's clothes in purple. As for the picture, it's the lighting. I really am all of my 72 years old. No closeups!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Wear that 'outfit' at your upcoming bloggerpalooza, Ron, and they'll all be treating you as the baby of the group! I look forward to seeing the evidence.

      Delete
  2. HaHa..."Man Magnet!!!"

    You'll need to fight them off with a cane! (but if you use a walker, you might get two with one shot!)

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      The man magnet remark was made tongue-in-cheek perhaps the subtle ness doesn't come through in the type comments but I am hit on by these old men all the time every time I go to a gathering it's a fact would be nice just to go and enjoy the dinner has it was meant to be I don't miss it.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I like purple too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet something else we have in common. I KNEW I liked you! :)

      Ron

      Delete
  4. woo hoo; that purple becomes you! I agree that men's clothes need a rainbow splash; waaaaay too much grey and brown and beige and black.

    give the cajun a hug from me; seafood OM NOM NOM NOM! a margarita in a beer glass? WRONG! FAIL!

    go get em, man magnet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:01 AM

    Ron

    The purple really does look great on you. By not being white haired you do only look 40ish. Hey, that was a Pint-arita !
    Not fashionable but it'll get you a buzz I'm sure.
    Stuart in FL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart,

      I like purple. I don't have many purple items of clothing but when I wear what I have I usually receive compliments like yours.

      The "not being white haired" is a gene that I inherited from the paternal side of my family. Neither my father nor his ten brothers had a gray or white hair on their heads and some of them lived to be in their 80's. On my Mom's side of the family, late in life her hair got gray as did her father's. I have a little gray around the sides which I leave untouched, adds a "distinguished look" to my visage. How about that cheap glass they served the Margarita in? Not the same. It was a mix anyway, not the real thing but they charged the real price.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I did nothing on Thanksgiving Day - which I am quite used to. Twenty years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, plus another twenty three years driving truck left me with very few holidays in all those decades in which I was "off duty".

    Yesterday was spent burning my eyes out on the computer. I didn't eat anything, which shed a few ounces off my *OSA high *BMI; however, I DID consume a bottle of egg nog wine from Holland.
    Man, that was some goooood stuff, and I slept like log that night.

    Next Thanksgiving (if I have the money) I'll go Fly my *PPC in the 'warmer climes".

    ...... "FOGGY" :))

    glossary (*) :
    - OSA = Obstructive Sleep Apnea (I don't have it; but the FAA thinks otherwise, just because I'm "fat" ..... it's a long story :/)
    - BMI = Body Mass Index (used by the FAA to accuse a fat person of OSA )
    - PPC = Powered Parachute (my current form of 'getting high')
    - FAA = formally the Federal Aviation Administration, now known as the Federation to Abolish Airplanes (and in that respect, they are doing an excellent job)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foggy,

      I don't mind at all working Thanksgiving Day. As a matter of fact, I prefer working that day. I like turkey but not all the hoopla plus I just can't eat that much food at one sitting. Thanks for your comments.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron

    I'm such a turkey - always getting to your post late after everyone has made their comments. Loved the photo of the headless guest. Hey and purple suits you perfectly - not just visually but also as it's the colour of passionate. And you have tons of passion in whatever you involve yourself in. So I hope you and all other American readers of your post had a terrific Thanksgiving. We are well past ours up here. But always grateful to be able to read your post each day.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I love purple too. Unfortunately there are not too much in clothing for men of my build (tall and slender) in purple. All blacks, grays and browns. Old men colors. I always get positive comments when I wear purple. And I am passionate. No one questions that aspect of my personality.

      The headless man in the photo is what I have to do whenever I post photos that include two FORMER friends. They DO NOT WANT THEIR PHOTOS IN MY BLOG. I don't know what their problem is other than jealousy of me but I do know they always get their panties in a wad if they see a photo of themselves on any of my blog postings, even if it is in a group shot. Whatever. But I'm not going to discard or not post those pictures so I will just have to "edit" them. Make them headless which is what they are anyway. Yep, the Nasty Ron is coming out. Usually does when I have such ridiculous and childish demands made on me about this blog. Some people, there's no pleasing them. Their default position is Fussy Old Lady. Just saying.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Love the purple! SWOON! It's my favorite, too! And you're right, it is hard to find colorful clothing for men - try getting it in sizes to fit me!

    I think the "Orphan" dinner is pretty cool for those who like to celebrate but have no place to do it except alone. The Breen's do one, too. It's too bad you weren't respected when you attended.

    As for all that turkey: there's turkey soup, turkey ala king, turkey stew, turkey pot pie, turkey sandwiches (I love an open face with stuffing and gravy poured over it), lots of things. I'll bet if you google "leftover turkey recipes", you'll bring down google!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Growing up I could never find a sweater to fit me, being tall. Finally, in my senior years I can now wear sweaters.

      Last night I made creamed turkey and froze it in individual freezer bags. They'll be good over biscuits during the week when I don't feel like cooking. I know there are tons of left over turkey recipes. I'll try another tomorrow but creamed chicken (or turkey) is probably my favorite because it is so simple. Butter, flour, 2% milk (I don't use cream but it would be better but the 2% milk works just as well), and a little salt and pepper and diced turkey (of course). Good and simple eating.

      Ron

      Delete