Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Morning

Feeding the seagulls this morning at Rehoboth Beach

How are you doing on this Thanksgiving morning folks?  

Today, here in good old southern Delaware the sun is bright (blindly so) and the temperatures are frigid ) 23 degrees when I woke up this morning by a "Happy Thanksgiving" message on my iPhone from my fellow blogger friend Dr. Spo from Phoenix, Arizona (what TIME does HE get up?)


After a quick breakfast of bran flakes (with 100% of all the vitamins available - taste like dried leaves but it is good for me so my urologist tells me) topped with a sliced banana, we were on our way to Rehoboth Beach.


A deserted Rehoboth boardwalk this morning - frigid temperatures!

For many years now on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day I clean out some of the old food items from my frig an take it to Rehoboth Beach to feed the seagulls.  This morning on the menu were veggie dogs from a few weeks ago that made me sick (I can't handle hot dogs in any form but I keep trying).  Of course the sea gulls were most appreciative.

I like making the ten mile straight shot down Route 1 on these holidays because there is hardly any traffic and the sea gulls ARE APPRECIATIVE.

I worked at the hotel last night as is usual on Thanksgiving and Christmas, the guests were all so nice.  Unlike so many of our guests we have in for a wedding, the holiday guests are almost invariably in a good mood and most cheerful.  That's why I don't mind working the holidays, that where I get a lot of my holiday spirit from.  I don't need me and stinking Black Fridays, I feed off the goodwill and bonhomie of these delightful holiday guests.

Bill called me at the hotel last night with quite a surprise.  Our wonderful neighbors brought over a WHOLE TURKEY for me and Bill. Folks, I cannot tell you what wonderful folks our neighbors are. We have truly been blessed.  


Bill digging into his Thanksgiving turkey (courtesy of our neighbors Bob and Barbara) early this morning - turkey for breakfast with a dollop of mayonnaise for Bill!


I have so much to be thankful for today but next to my health I have to say I am most thankful for (in no particular order):


  • Bill
  • All my friends
  • My job
  • My health
  • My wonderful home
  • Living in a state like Delaware which recognizes me (and Bill) and regular human beings instead of gay pariahs
  • All my friends (oops!  I already said that didn't I?)
  • And those special friends (they know who they are)

These days I'm getting a little long in the tooth (no, I'm not going to die anytime soon although I do like to tweak some of my friends by belaboring that point).  I see others who are my age or young tottering around like they're on their last leg.  They have given up hope.  They think their life is over.  Well folks, everyday I get up it is a New Beginning for me.  I feel as if my life has just begun.  And for that, I am so thankful.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!


Yours truly before going to work yesterday - 72 years young and still working! I started my first job as a paper boy when I was 10 years old, before any of my friends had a job.  They have since retired (except for my friend Stuart) and moi is still working.  Mom would be proud of me (since she got me that paperboy job way back in 1951).  

18 comments:

  1. your neighbors are wonderful!

    thank you for the e-card; so cute!

    hope you and bill have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you too Anne Marie!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Ron, for this very cheerful post. Best wishes to you, Bill and the seagulls. I too love hotdogs although they've never agreed with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George. Me and hit dogs, nada.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. This positive post put a bright spot in my otherwise glum Thanksgiving. Great photos! The beach looks wonderfully deserted and the seagulls look happy and greatful. And your neighbors are truly wonderful. I've had rotten Texas neighbors for so long that I've actually forgotten what good ones are like. If I dropped dead on the street they'd run my corpse over with their Chevy trucks and move into my house before my body was eaten by buzzards (I'm delightfully cheerful, aren't I?).

    Despite the fact that I live alone, far from friends and relatives, I had planned a wonderful Thanksgiving meal for myself. The Gods of Thankfulness must have been watching and laughing. Wouldn't you know it - - I started feeling rotten last night and today I have the flu with a horrendous sore throat! I haven't been sick in many years. Worst of all, I've completely lost my sense of taste. Irony of ironies. I've been eating hot soup and drinking hot tea. I suppose I'll save my meal for another day - when my taste buds return to normal.

    Anyway, I hope you and Bill have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jon. Off to work now, my usual Thanksgiving. Enjoy your meal.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    Ahh, we're still in our prime, Ron. Went to Poetry group last night and it was Edwardo's birthday. He turned 84 and he looks as good as when I first met him 12 years ago. We got good years ahead, buddy.Have a happy day at the hotel and enjoy that turkey. We're eating out this year at The Gables of Chad Ford and the menu looks really good. getting fat tonight!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      At work now. Enjoy your Thanksgiving feast in Chadds Ford tonight. I'll talk to you tomorrow on FaceTime.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Sounds like good times! I do hope you and Bill make a special meal of that special turkey! WOOHOO!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I'm making plans for that turkey! I love leftover turkey. Rarely get a change at it though.

      Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Ron, for the Turkey "Can-Can" card. It was so much fun. But what was even more fun was watching a movie that was made in Lewes last March by you. I AM SO GRATEFUL!!! Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David',

      I'm so glad you liked the DVD of our little get together last March. It was fun putting together. I hope you can come to next year's Bloggerpalooza and make new memories.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Hey Ron

    Great comments above. And Ron I am super thankful for you and your blogs. I always enjoy myself "listening" to you and what others have to say. you've enriched my life. Your neighbours are great too. Bob I know was your chauffeur to the hospital. And Barb took you out on your birthday. I also like the photo of Bill! Nice shot. Sorry that I've been late responding to your wonderful blogs - but I must admit the painting renovation going on -which I'm part of - is tying up a lot of time and often leaving me depleted of energy. But I always look forward to reading "Retired in Delaware".

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      Thank you for your generous remarks. Please don't feel obligated to read my blogs, especially when you have more pressing matters going on in your life. You know me, I'm okay with that.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving ! I am thankful to have you as a blogger buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you Dr. Spo!

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving, Ron! And to Bill, too. And thanks for the e-card. So thoughtful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving to you both.

    ReplyDelete