Sunday, November 03, 2013

Clocks

Hey folks, if your watching TV this morning and your regular shows aren't on at the regular time guess what?  You didn't set your clocks back last night one hour.  

Oh yes, it's that time of year again when we have to change our clocks.  Remember, in the spring it's "spring forward" and in the fall it's "fall backwards." Cute huh?

Well, for me it's a pain.  I have TOO MANY clocks.  Yes, I am a CLOCK COLLECTOR!  Some people collect baseball cards (does anyone really collect baseball cards anymore)?  Some collect salt and pepper shakers (my Mom did now I have all of them - lucky me).  Some, like my friend Ed collects money (Scrooge McDuck style).  Me?  I collect clocks, every shape and size.


From left to right, my Mom, my step-aunt Mary and step grandmother Margaret at their home in Towerville, PA 1948

I think I acquired this clock obsession when I was a young boy and used to spend two weeks a summer at my Aunt Mary's house in the country.  We lived in town, in a second floor apartment.  We had electricity and running water and indoor toilets.  Aunt Mary's house in the country had none of those civilized facilities but she did have some really cool ticking clocks.  I remember so well going to sleep at night in that darkened house that was only lit by kerosene lamps with the comforting sound of ticking clocks.  Since that time I've always associated the sound of ticking clocks with peace and quiet, so unlike where I lived in town where it was noisy and stressful.  I guess I am always seeking to return to the peace and comfort that those ticking clocks of Aunt Mary's house always provided for me.


Mom, me (Mom's arm is on my neck) and my two brothers at Aunt Mary's in Towerville, PA - 1948

If you ever want to give me something (and nothing from the Dollar Store either, that junk falls apart after a few months), give me a clock.  Sure, it will drive Bill crazy but adding another clock to my collection feeds my obsession.  And yes, you will be enabling me.  


Aunt Mary and me at her home in Gap, PA - 2003 (10 years ago! Where does the time go?)

Now if you'll excuse me I have to set about another dozen of so clocks to set back and hour.



11 comments:

  1. We in AZ don't do no stinkin' DST. I used to be in support of it, but now I am not. There are now a lot more negatives than positives for it.
    I have two beloved clocks - my greatgreatgrandmother's and my ship's clock. I love hearing them chime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I was just talking to someone about Arizona not following DST. We both agree, no change in time. Besides, my Mother always told me DST was started just to give the rich white guys more time to golf. I believe her now.

      By the way, I LOVE to hear clocks chime. LOVE IT! So comforting.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Dr. Spo,

      I went to Vegas last year for business, and made a side trip to Utah to sight-see, passing through AZ briefly.

      *THREE* diffrerent time zones in 100 miles!!!

      By the time I got to St. George, I had no idea what time it was...lol!

      :-)

      -Andy

      Delete
  2. I love cuckoo clocks, even if I don't own one and never will. I think it is good to have a passion, whatever it might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Our family used to have a cuckoo clock. It was cute for a while but after a bit it did get on your nerves. It always seemed to go off right in the middle of important dialogue during a TV show. I agree with you about passion, if you have none you might as well stop living.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    I with next March when we Spring ahead to Daylight Saving Time it would be the last such leap. We don't need this biannual disruption. They have shortened the period from half the year to four months, so how can that be called "standard" time? I like that I may go for a walk earlier again for a bit, but I don't like how my body has to readjust to this time shift. There is no reason for it anymore. Let's be like those few states that leave well enough alone.

    By the way, my mother collected salt and pepper shakers also. She switched to chickens in the latter part of her life, but she still had all those salt and pepper shakers when she died.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Lar, we don't need DST. It is unnecessary. My Mom always said DST was started by rich white men so they could play golf later. I believe her.

      My Mom also had chicken salt and pepper shakers. I don't think she ever used them. I have them in a box now. I haven't got up the courage to give them away to the thrift store yet.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. what happens when they all go off at once?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Mare,

      You really want to know the answer? Well, it's called a "climax." Hmmmmm.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. As far as standard and daylight savings time goes, either ONE of them is fine with me, but NOT BOTH of them.

    I also have a number of clocks AND watches. I inherited my father's Elgin watch when he died when I was 11 years old, and have been a watch fanatic every since. I have an original Bulova Accutron, and Seiko's in all descriptions. The current one that I wear is a Seiko Solar watch. Never needs batteries, winding, or motion, but it does need to be exposed to some light, but indoor light is fine and does not need sunlight. It is quartz and keeps perfect time. I think all future timepieces that I buy will be linked with the atomic clock for automatic updating. I have a couple of those and wish that all of them were so endowed. I have so many clocks that one is in my line of view anywhere in my house. Also I have a school regulator (30 day wind) clock that chimes so loud, it can be heard anywhere in the house on the farm. When having a conversation or on the phone in the living room, everyone stops talking until the chiming ends.

    I also started collecting fountain pens, after inheriting my father's. So now I have Parkers, Mont Blancs, Cross, Sharp, etc.

    And then, there are my Marklin Z model trains collection.

    And I have collected all National Geographic magazines from 1942 to the present. I have collected over 100 leather bound books. For a while we were collecting Scandinavian Christmas plates. Then there are my books, my VHS and DVDs, my CDs and vinyl records. I need to start collecting "space" for all this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I too HAD the leather bound books of National Geographic. So much money I paid for them. Years ago I gave them to my nephew. I never read them. I have several model train collections too. Probably not as extensive as yours but I always planned to put them out for Christmas some year but I never do. And yet I cannot bear to part with those train collections. And pens……oh my. I won't eve go there. And yes, I also have a plate collection, CD's, DVD's and the old VHS. David, I'm thinking maybe I have an obsession with "things." Oh well, someone is going to hit a treasure trove, maybe.

      Ron

      Delete