Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween - Past and Present

The first Halloween I can remember was when I was about eight years old.  I lived on Washington Avenue in the small town of Downingtown, Pennsylvania (pop. 5,000).  Our family lived on  great street for trick or treating, Washington Avenue was right in the center of town.

This is the first time I'm revealing my first costume but it was a southern ball gown.  Yep folks, old "butchie" (now anyway) Ron went dressed up as a GIRL! Specifically a Southern Belle.  

Going to school in the Fifties I was transfixed by all the crinolines in my females classmate's dresses. Oh how I loved that swish and swish when they got up from their desks to change classes.  Oh yes folks, I had the big hoop dress!  What was I thinking?  No wonder when I went trick or treating up and down Washington Avenue with all the cowboys, scarecrows, and skeletons I was the ONLY hoop skirted eight year old boy.




 I think I only did this once before it sunk into my eight year old brain that this WASN'T the way to go.  I mean talk about horror scenes……

In succeeding years I trick or treated as a bum (which wasn't a big stretch since we were almost dirt poor) and as a scarecrow but never as an eight year old drag queen again.  God, if I did who knows what I would be doing today?  Probably giving our local drag queen Mona Lotts a run for her tip money at the Blue Moon in Rehoboth Beach.



After we moved from Washington Avenue I didn't do Halloween again until 1979, when I was 38 years old. Thank God by now I was out of my drag diva mode and into my monster mode.  I've posted those 1979 Halloween pictures several times in my past blog postings. 
 
Me and my friend Bob McC. - Philadelphia - 1979

Fast forward to 2007 (oh how the years go by).  Bill and I had just moved to Delaware.  We were invited to a Halloween party.  The first and last Halloween party I've been invited to since we moved to Delaware.  I went with my butch monster outfit again.  First I tried it out on my neighbor Barbara.


Barbara loved it/me!  It was a go!


Me and my neighbors Don and Al.  We're off to the party!



The party was a bust.  I didn't know anyone and since I had my mask on, no on knew me.  They wouldn't of known me anyway, I'm not part of the "In Crowd."  Never been invited back.  Oh well.


Taking a break from the Halloween part, and giving my face refresher from that hot mask.

One of these Halloweens, before I get too old and end up in an assisted care facility I would like to do just one more Halloween.  The below picture of from the 1979 Halloween I celebrated in Philadelphia when I took a tour of the gay bars on Halloween night.  I saw some of the best costumes. This is "Lady Marmalade."  

Maybe next time I'll go as Jason or is it Michael Myers? I also get those movies ("Halloween" and "Friday the 13th") mixed up.


But for tonight, I'm trapped at the Inn.  Yep, I'm working tonight in my regular Hotel Front Desk drag.  I'm not going anywhere tonight but I may scare a few unsuspecting hotel guests.


12 comments:

  1. "I may scare a few unsuspecting hotel guests." - bwhahahaha! thanks for the e-card, BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween Anne Marie!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this fun post and the fun photos. Halloween is definitely my favorite time of year. I've never worn a hoop skirt but - what the hell - give it time.....There are some good aspects to the fact that you're working tonight. At least you won't have to answer your door for all those annoying trick or treaters. I love Halloween but I hate kids. My lights will be out tonight and my door will be securely locked. I'll be eating candy in the dark.
    Happy Halloween to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand kids either; and there are NONE in my hood (does a happy dance)! candy eaten in the dark is best.

      Delete
    2. Jon,

      Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays too. Unfortunately I haven't celebrated it that often. I thought by living in Gayberry aka Rehoboth Beach, I would be celebs prating it more but work always seems to interfere and now I can't drive at night. Someone would have to drive me to a party. Maybe next year!

      Ron

      Delete
    3. I'm not real fond of the Little Darlings either but some of them are cute.

      Delete
  3. Ron

    Your sense of humour always cracks me up. "I mean talk about horror scenes...." And equating the going out as a bum since the family was dirt poor. You're good! My friend Ed's neighbourhood go all out - decorations galore and if the 31st is closer to or on a weekend he has a costume party with prizes by votes for most imaginative, scariest, etc - as well as a small combo. Houses are side by side and a lot neighbours turn up. Then parents bring kids from all over because it's the jackpot for goodies. It's a small street but they'll get 500 to 700 kids.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I would love to go to some big assed Halloween party. Maybe next year!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I dressed on Halloween as a girl in those grade school years too, and I won the price for "Prettiest" Hmm, not too flattering for the girls in our class. But people did tell me I made a pretty girl. To balance it out, I guess, I won "Ugliest" one year as a female too, but this time I went as a witch. Actually, I've dressed as a girl a few times. The last time was to work in the 1990s when I went as the "World's Ugliest Playboy Bunny", complete with rabbit ears and a cute little bunny tail.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I did not know that you dressed as a female for Halloween. I do remember you as Mr peanut but I think he was a male even though his nuts ween't visible. RON

      Delete
  5. It is still my favorite holiday. Curiously, getting dressed up is not usually part of my holiday. I guess it is because I focus on the children giving out treats rather than go to parties (alas, no one invites me!).
    I did wear my Viking horns to the block party, which was jolly good fun, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Halloween has always been my favorite holiday too. Probably because it signifies a change of season (had enough pulling weeds and mowing grass) and also because of its pagan roots. I think I was a pagan in one of my past lives.

      Ron

      Delete