Saturday, November 30, 2013

Birthday Lunch in Rehoboth!

"Ya want some of this?  Oysters Rockefeller."

My friend "The Cajun" invited me to a birthday lunch today.  In years past we used to treat each other to lunch on our birthdays.  However, the past few years (the time goes by so fast), we've missed a few birthdays. 

A few days ago I was talking to The Cajun on FaceTime (he's on my growing list of FaceTime contacts) and he invited me to lunch with him today at The Henlopen Oyster House in Rehoboth Beach.  Of course, non fish eater than I am, I immediately responded "I don't eat fish."  He said "Get an hamburger then!"  Well folks, I did get a hamburger and I have to tell you it was probably the best hamburger I've ever had since we moved to Delaware seven years ago.  Will wonders never cease?  I think the secret ingredient was FRESH HAMBURGER and not the usual frozen patties which is a whole different animal.  

So here is an accounting of my little adventure today to meet The Cajun for lunch.  I was to meet him at 12:30.  I only live ten miles from Rehoboth, a straight shot (well, not really, probably a "gay" shot but I digress) up the infamous Route 1.  This is the off season so I thought "No problematico."  HA!  Little did I take into account today is the DAY AFTER BLACK FRIDAY and I had to drive past all the outlet malls on Route 1.  Plus this is "Shop Local Day" so everybody and their grandmother is out of their houses and in Rehoboth.  IT TOOK ME FORTY-FIVE MINUTS TO MAKE THE TEN MILE RIDE FROM MY HOME TO REHOBOTH BEACH.  

The Cajun had suggested to me to save a seat for him if I got to the restaurant early.  HA!  By the time I parked and braved the cold wind and gray skies to Wilmington Avenue, I was already five minutes late.  Here is what I saw waiting for me as I entered The Henlopen Oyster House (yes, I stopped to take a photo but as anyone who knows me knows I take a LOT of photos, something one has to tolerate with moi). One does have to be patient with me (but it's worth it folks!)

Waiting for Godot Ron
Once in and settled, I could see The Cajun was selected a good restaurant. I had never been here before but I knew I The Henlopen Oyster House immediately.  Again, my friend The Cajun has demonstrated his impeccable taste.  Unfortunately I don't have good taste in restaurants but I do have good taste in friends.  Just saying.  


"Another picture?"

Our hunky waiter came by and asked us if we were ready to order. Again, another GOOD sign. Restaurants, you want good business straight and gay? Hire hunky, friendly waiters (and waitresses) but mainly WAITERS. We gay guys (and straight women) like eye candy too you know. Who cares about the straight men? They can go to Hooters down the street. It's refreshing to go to a restaurant that appreciates at least HALF of the clientele would like to see good-looking men waiting on them. Just saying.


Two of the help at The Oyster House. Easy on the eyes..…front or back.
First thing I do is ask our handsome and very friendly waiter to take our picture. He happily complies and takes this picture of we two old gay geezers.  Hey, doesn't cost anything to make two past their prime (and I'm not saying "it") gay men happy.  



Me and The Cajun
Someday they too will be OLD like me and The Cajun and they'll ask some nice, pleasant, handsome, and young waiter to take their picture.  The old "what goes round come round."  Isn't that from the Lion King?  But I digress…..again.

Time to order.  Since it was my birthday I ordered a festive (as The Cajun often says) drink, this time an Eggnog Martini.  Slurp! Slurp!  It was most wonderful and did give me the proper giddy buzz for which I am well known in these parts.


Then time to order.  I ordered the hamburger.  



Hamburger and Fries - my usual

What a pleasant surprise. This was probably the best hamburger I've ever had in Rehoboth Beach. But I already said that didn't I? Well, it bears saying again. The best! I will write a positive review for The Henlopen Oyster House.

But the best thing about our lunch today?  Seeing my old friend The Cajun.  Thank you The Cajun!  A most enjoyable lunch.


The Henlopen Oyster House 50 Wilmington Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE
http://www.hcoysterhouse.com

16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday, dear Ronald! Happy Birthday to you!
    And HELLO, Cajun!!!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      It was good getting out with The Cajun again. We'll have to do it again.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Again happy birthday.

    This next paragraph is not exactly a pity party, feel sorry if you want, just to let you know how my last two weeks turned out. About two weeks ago I felt a slight twinge in the lower regions of my gut that would just not go away, getting more uncomfortable by the day so it was not something that would go away on it's own. Finally got the Dr. after 4 days and was diagnosed with diverticulitis and was promptly put on two antibiotics one of which was Cipro which among other things is the standard remedy for ANTHRAX. The disease was slowly receding but my delicate system which reacts strangely to most any drug decided that it did not like Cipro and the Flagyl together and said the pain is practically gone but as long as you continue these meds we will make your life miserable in other ways, namely nausea but no up-chucking. I went through the whole ten day course and finally got back to normal (well my normal). Then last weekend I was turning over in bed and the whole room started spinning. This would have been ok if I would have gotten stinking drunk the night before so I very slowly got out of bed and now the room was spinning and it was visual. I stood up and held my hands over my eyes until the spinning passed. Finally this past Wednesday I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Vertigo and the doctor prescribed a patch to put right behind the ear. Wear it for 3 days and replace. I got four of the patches which seem to help a little. The cost of the patches? $61.00 and that was with my insurance. I go back to the doctor this week to see if there is more that he wants to see, especially if the dizziness is still prevalent. Of course it could not be anything so serious as a brain tumor or it could become a permanent thing. Don't know at this point. With all this going on I had to prepare a full Thanksgiving dinner. One of the side effects of this medication is dizziness. Go figure. Enough about my ills.

    Commenting on your previous posts, lavender is definitely your signature color. Love it. Your hamburger looked as good as it gets. I hate eating fish but love eating seafood ie. shrimp, crab, scallops and anything else that crawls on the bottom of the ocean or bay but that burger really looked good enough that if I were there I would have had to try it. Shrimp cocktail and a burger, surf & turf in my book.

    Stay healthy and enjoy life.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,

      I am so sorry to hear about your recent health bouts. Ironically, having lunch with Wayne ("The Cajun") today was the first time we were able to have lunch in a long time because of his health issues. He has to wear a mask when he's out (he put it on after we left the restaurant). You can read about his issues on his blog "On Transmigration" which is on my blog roll. He's had quite a time this year.

      Earlier tonight I was talking on FaceTime with my longtime friend Larry (from school days) and we were comparing our medical issues. When we were young we used to make fun of our parents always discussing their latest medical maladies but here we are today doing the same thing. I guess we're officially OLD!.

      Always good to hear from you Jack. I hope this latest round of medical drama passes soon and you're back to normal. This is why I try to make every day count, you just never know.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. dude, that eggnog martini went to your head! it's almost midnight and I am LMFAO over this post!

    you're damn straight (or gay) about the eye candy! 45 min to go 10 miles sux. but the food DOES look dee-lish! sweet pix of the cajun too (the dear).

    nice to see 2 boyz having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I'm surprised more restaurants don't have eye candy guys as waiters. That old straight man misogyny that thinks ALL folks are only interested in pretty girls. Hey restaurant owners, give something for the straight gals and gay guys. You'll make a lot more money.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron

    Great to see you there with Wayne. But I'm sorry to hear about his health woes - and Jack's. But it looks like it was a good time - and satisfying food. I guess, too, that the business of Route 1 will end with the weekend. And finally - tho I'm not saying much - I got to your blog before it slipped into past tense.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      We're both having in. It's going to take a lot more than the health crises we both had this past year to knock these two old birds out.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron, Both meals look yummy! The Cajun looks like he's doing very good. I'm still hanging in there. Also you look good in the blue sweater as you do in the purple. Take care my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      That was an iconic picture of two older guy guys who have survived health crises this year. Around Labor Day we were both in the emergency ward at the local hospital (although he didn't know each other was in). Wayne was in for kidney stones (as was I) and other serious issues with which he is still dealing. Of course I was also in for prostate cancer which I am still dealing with (the side effects). We had a good lunch yesterday. These days, when the hour glass is prominently running out for both of us, we're making every day count. No more putting off "until tomorrow."

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron, I knew your birthday was in November but I had no idea it was on the 30th. Happy Birthday!!! (slightly belated). So, we are both Sagittarius - - it's no wonder we have so many things in common! Ironically, I have two other friends with November 30 birthdays.

    It looks like you had a wonderful time at your birthday lunch, but - - - whaddaya mean you don't eat fish???? I recently started reading the Cajun's blog. You're fortunate to have so many wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Actually, November 9th us my birthday. Surely you knew I was a Scorpio. Wayne deCajun was about two years late to take me out for my birthday. We used to do it every year but we missed the last few years. Yesterday was catch up time.

      NO FISH! God, I hate fish or any seafood. So what am I doing living on the East Coast when all I hear is "Where is a good place to get fish….oysters…..shrimp…..scallops……et al. I only know two other people who don't like fish; my good friend Larry and Pat. At least I'm not flying solo here.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. When I first started reading your blog I thought you mentioned that your birthday was in early November - - but now, when you said that you just had a birthday lunch, I figured my memory was faulty (it often is). So, you're a Scorpio! Very sensual, indeed.
    Thanks for clearing my confusion. I'll remember your B'Day next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Oh I'm sensual all right. I've been told I'm also very passionate. They got that right too. Also very loyal, resourceful observant and dynamic. Now for the bad ones: jealous, obsessive, suspicious manipulative and unyielding. That's me!

      Ron

      Delete
  8. I am so glad to see Wayne out and about . thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I like to eat out and Wayne deCajun is good company. A win-win for me (and Wayne).

      Ron

      Delete