Saturday, November 16, 2013

Musings on Thanksgiving 2013






This week is Thanksgiving.  Our national holiday proscribed date for the beginning of the official slaughter and elimination of the native population of Indians Indian supplied bounty to the first Pilgrim settlers in this country.  




We don't celebrate Thanksgiving at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  I have nothing against Thanksgiving Day Dinners (they're almost always delicious) but Bill and I got out of that commercially induced rat race years ago.  I usually work Thanksgiving Day (as I will this year) as well as Christmas Day and New Year's Day.  

Several years in the past I used to attend a Thanksgiving dinner given by my friend Bob McC.  Over 25 years ago he and his partner started serving dinner for gay guys who had no other place to go for dinner.  That was a very generous and nice gesture on his part.  Unfortunately both Bob and his partner are in an assisted care facility now and no longer hold their annual Thanksgiving Dinner for single gay guys.

Me (far right) after my fill of turkey at the Single Gay Guy's Thanksgiving Dinner 2001
Then there were a few years that my former high school buddy Bill B. would invite me to his family's Thanksgiving dinner.  If I wasn't work I went (he wife is a fabulous cook!)  The get together was all good.  Bill's wife created just the perfect setting for a family get together.  If I wasn't working I would go again but unfortunately I'm almost always working on Turkey Day but Bill assures me the invitation is always open.  

Thanksgiving 2003 (10 years already?)
These years the holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around and are over before I've even had a chance to get my ceramic Christmas trees out for display.  

This year as in years in the past I will celebrate Thanksgiving at the front desk at the hotel where I work in Lewes.  For "dinner" I'll have perhaps a pack of Lance crackers.  One year my co-worker brought me in a Thanksgiving plate she made up at home.  I nuked it and it was fabulous!

Ron's Thanksgiving - 2008

So this year don't feel sorry for me (Argentina), I'll be working but I am thankful.  I am thankful for the medical challenges that I faced this year and overcame.  I am thankful for the new friends I made this year (and you know who you are).  And I am most thankful that I was able to get married to my longtime partner Bill this year.  

It's all good folks, all good.  Happy Thanksgiving!




20 comments:

  1. and I am thankful for all the FABULOUS boyfriends in my life (you all know who you are)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we are thankful for you Anne Marie!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. (blushes) bless your heart, dear! (blushes)

      Delete
    3. Everybody loves Anne Marie. You add much needed spice to our Gay Guy mix.

      Ron

      Delete
    4. spice, huh...cinnamon, paprika, coriander...I KNOW, NUTMEG! cause I am a bit on the nutty side...

      Delete
    5. Some of that hot sauce too!

      Delete
    6. ai yi yi, senor, muy caliente!

      Delete
  2. Ron ??? are you a week ahead of your self with Thanksgiving. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      Why yes, I do think I'm a week ahead. I thought Thanksgiving was this week. No matter, same message.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. I've been reading the various Thanksgiving posts around the blogosphere. It seems we all have our own way of "celebrating" or at least remembering things we are thankful for. I see it as a chance to get together with family, more and more of whom are learning about my sexuality, so it's more and more fun to be with them. I'm thankful I am both physically and fiscally able to do this every year!
    Your celebrations look great! And I don't think there's anything wrong with working on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. I spent many a year in broadcasting working those days, since I was single, so the folks with families could spend it with theirs. I always got to travel to see mine, but it might have been the weekend before or the weekend after, but I never missed out!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      My family is quite dispersed (dead) now. Bill and I were never much into celebrating the holidays although we have no issue with others celebrating the holidays. If I get an invitation I accept (and if I'm not working), otherwise I just skip the day. For too many years I went through the whole rigmarole of preparing a Thanksgiving feast just for the two of us. Wasn't worth it. I'll leave that up to others who are more into in. I'm glad for those who have families and will enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving celebration.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    This year as in years past I will celebrate Thanksgiving because it is the one day I actually cook something that one does not have to re heat and eat. I gave up cooking real dinners a couple of years ago.

    I don't need a specific day to be thankful, I am thankful for every day I am still on this earth.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,

      I'm with you on this one. I often cook dinners for myself (Bill eats separately) but on Thanksgiving I am usually working. I don't mind. I've cooked a "Thanksgiving dinner" but had way too many leftovers and Bill doesn't like turkey. So I'll take what anyone else has rather than go through all that. Like you, I don't need a specific day to be thankful. I am thankful everyday I am on this earth and for the friends I have. I know how fortunate I am and I take nothing for granted.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. ok, questions. where is the banner pix taken? and WHO is the dude with the beard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      The banner picture was taken in the Oyster Rocks development which is behind the development where I live. I always take my walks there. Last week during a walk by there retention pond this autumnal scene caught my eye so I memorialized it.

      And "who is the dude with the beard?" That's ME honey testing the closeup function of my iPHone camera. Worked well didn't it. Now you might ask, why did I include it in this blog? Oh ….I dunno…..just because I thought it was a cool picture.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. ah, I see...up close and personal...yeah, it's cool.

      Delete
    3. Anne Marie,

      Yup! I thought so too.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I'm thankful that Thanksgiving only comes once a year. Honest Injun.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      When this time of year ("The Holidays") rolls around I just think to "get through it. Actually, I somewhat look forward to the dull, gray cold days of January and February when everything goes quiet. That's my downtime for the year.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. I liked the whiskers too.

    ReplyDelete