Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Night Thoughts



Bill and I just got back from an early evening ride to Rehoboth Beach.  Bill rarely goes to Rehoboth Beach but he agreed to go this afternoon.



In many ways this is the time of the year I like best at the beach.  The crowds have lessened to something more manageable, the dangerous and congested traffic is a memory of the past, and the temperatures are still mild (69 degrees at the beach).  

I love to walk on the boardwalk, the boards have a certain springiness to them.  I enjoy seeing the diversity of folks still lingering around town. I would like to eat at a restaurant but Bill doesn't care to eat in restaurants.  He would rather eat a can of peas out of his bowl at home in his Archie Bunker chair.

The next two weeks is the lull before the craziness of Thanksgiving and the Christmas shopping frenzy.  We don't get involved in all that annual "the holidays" hoopla.  Not that we have anything against it, that's fine for those folks who really get into it.  


Bloggerpalooza 2013 

Personally, I make my own holidays.  Come this March 15th, is the second annual Bloggerpalooza. This is the gathering of some of our blogger friends in Lewes at the hotel where I work.  This year it is a three day event, culminating in a catered buffet on Saturday night followed by "prizes."  All who read this blog are welcome.  Just contact me by e-mail and I'll give you the details.


Bloggerpalooza 2013 - friends meet

This year I have added a special treat for myself. Now that I have a traveling buddy, I booked a room at the Latham Hotel in Philadelphia for the last week in December.  Yes folks, this year I'm going to celebrate New Year's in Philadelphia.  Again, another long desired dream of mine is to one more time relive those days of old when I used to really kick up my heels on New Year's Eve.  This year will be special because I will introduce my Traveling Companion to the Mummers' Parade in Philadelphia, an event he will never forget. 

Bill introduced me to my first Mummers' Parade in 1965.


Me - long coat - at my first Mummers' Parade 1965 in front of the Philadelphia Academy of Music on Broad Street Philadelphia, PA
Yes folks, I will be spending a week in Philadelphia from December 27th, 2013 to January 3rd 2013. Yep, I just made my own holiday.  It's always nice to have something to look forward to isn't it?  



"It ain't over until it's over folks!"

12 comments:

  1. (waves to bill)

    OMB, you put up that scary pix of me again; THAT ALONE should drive potential attendees away! ;-)

    wait til your new BFF gets a load of the mummers; you will have to teach him the "mummers strut".

    HOW KEWL is it that you will spend NYE in town? you will have to watch the fireworks from penn's landing from your hotel room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Pat didn't even know what a "Mummer" was. I thought it would be great fun to introduce him to this unique Philly tradition. I'm not sure that he can make it though. But if he can, I'm ready. If not. ces't la vie.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I guess you are not bringing Bill with you for the end of the year celebrations? I am guessing you are going with Pat. That is a fabulous idea! Have fun and enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Bill and I always did the New Year's celebrations when we lived in Philly and New Jersey. We wouldn't do it now. I would love to do it one more time. I invited Pat but he's not sure if he can make it. If not, I'll have to pass it up. I don't want to celebrate alone but I did make the plans just in case. I think we would have a fabulous time. I especially want to do it since so many of my friends are either gone or can't celebrate New Year's because of their health. My plan is to enjoy life as long as I can. I'm not ready to give in yet. I hope I can celebrate New Year's in Philly this year.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Sounds like good times all the way around!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan Jay. I hope it comes to fruition.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. It's a wonderful time of the year to stroll on the beach in blissful isolation. All of the photos are great. I don't like to get involved in the "holiday hoopla" either, but I do love New Year's Eve. It would be fantastic if you could spend it in Philly!
    (by the way, I don't know what a "mummer" is, either.....it's not like a hummer, is it......?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I too love New Year's Eve. Partly because it signals the end to all "the holidays" (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and also because it signifies new beginnings. Some of the best times of my life were celebrating New Year's in Philly. I hope to replicate that one more time this year.

      The Mummers' Parade in Philly and the celebration surrounding it is much like Mardi Gras in New Orleans, only a much colder version. And yes, "hummers" happen too, part of the fun. Oh yes.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron

    Sign me up.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're signed up Pat!

      Delete
  6. It is nice to see Bill out and about; what will he do for NYE?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      My plans have changed for New Years. No Ron in Philadelphia. Just as well, I'll do Provincetown instead (if I can convince a certain party to accompany me). Thus this year I will be working at the hotel on New Year's Eve as I have in most years past. Bill will be at home snug in his bed. Usually, on New Years I get home about 15 minutes before the ball drops in Times Square. I'll watch it, alone, on my TV then go to bed…..alone.

      Ron

      Delete