Monday, November 25, 2013

The BLOGGER Meme



Okay folks!  This is what you've been waiting for. Ron's take on Dr. Spo's Blogger meme.  Here are my answers, straight from my heart and painfully and sometimes embarrassingly honest (as is my style):

What you like most about being a blogger?
Like Dr. Spo, I started blogging in 2006 to express myself and to use my love for writing.  I have since discovered new friends for which I am most appreciative.  
How many bloggers have you met?
I have met approximately twenty bloggers, most of whom I met at last year's Bloggerpalooza in Lewes, DE.
Do you ever go back and read your old entries?
Rarely.  When I do I'm usually embarrassed at what I wrote, so juvenile and self-centered.  I ask myself "What was I thinking when I wrote THAT?"
Do you share your job skills here?
No, mainly because my career as a trust operations manager is of no interest to anyone, let alone readers of my blog.  Occasionally I mention something about my present part-time job as a hotel front desk clerk but I am very careful about what I write because my blog postings are closely monitored by my co-workers and others at the hotel and associated businesses for any misstep that they can chastise me on, which they have done on numerous occasions.
Have you changed your views about anything thanks to blogging?
Yes. I am a lot more tolerant of others who have different political views than my own.  However, I still am intolerant on those who have differing social views.  I have also changed my views on every gay man and woman coming out.  I now realize that many of my gay brethren circumstances aren't as conducive to coming out blatantly as I did many years ago.

Do your coworkers know about your blog?
Oh yes!  And they closely monitor my blog for any misstep which they do not hesitate to bring to my attention.  Yes folks, I have a censoring crew at work.
What advice would you give for successful blogging?
Write what you think and feel.  Let it flow. Don't worry or concern yourself on the "proper" form of writing and certainly don't concern yourself that you're going to offend anybody.  No matter what you write, you're going to offend SOMEBODY.  The one advice that I would offer though is to be careful with throwing the cheap shots out like criticizing someone's weight or marital situation.  You don't know what is going on in their lives so let it be.
What is your opinion of aardvarks?
Absolutely no opinion whatsoever.  Except, I find men who have an aardvark profile extremely sexy.   

Do you publish everything you write ?
I publish almost all my posts.  I just let it hang out there.  I have about twenty posts in draft that I haven't  got back to and have now lost whatever momentum I had on them and probably will delete now that I have written this response. I have deleted a few posts (in a weak moment) that others took offense too, who said they were "hurtful".  I try not to be "hurtful" but I have found that invariably, as I write my honest feelings, someone else's feelings are going to get hurt or some extra sensitive reader will be offended and inform me that he (always a "he") will no longer read my blog.  So be it.
If you could make ‘three rules’ for blogging, what would they be?
1# Write exactly what you think.  Don't over think it or rewrite it unless there is a distractive grammatical error.  Let it flow.
2# Stop trying to sell me something on your blog.  I'm following one blog now from a "writer" in New York.  She thinks she is so clever (she's not) and is almost always trying to sell something.  I cannot get rid of her posts.  They always show up in my e-mails.  Rule:  don't have a link to your blog that you can't discontinue.
3# Use bigger fonts.  Come on guys (and gals), is it that hard to click on the bigger font?
Do people help you write your blog?
Absolutely not!  Some have tried (unsolicited of course).  I have lost several "friends" because I didn't take their direction.  My spouse has given up on trying to control the content of my blog.  What you read in my blog is me, rose and warts and every thang.
Who are your blogger super-heroes?
Harper's Valley - always interesting and informative and amusing. An excellent writer, this blogger consistently amazes me with the depth of his knowledge of the vagaries of life.  He specializes in movie and theater reviews (which is not my milieu) but he is such a good writer that it is one of my secret pleasures to luxuriate in his posts.
Lone Star Concerto - again, always interesting, informative and amusing. Although the writer of this blog and I have diametrically opposed political views (he's conservative and I'm a "progressive") I find him to always be totally honest and open, which I find is a rarity in bloggers.  Many of his blog posts are about him being stuck in the hell hole of west Texas (and I sympathize, believe me), he is consistently interesting although he doesn't think he is.  
On Transmigration - this is a dear friend of mine who I encouraged to write a blog to help him deal with the pain and frustration of the ending of his long-term relationship.  He doesn't write that often but when he does he also has that formula for writing a blog that draws me:  he is a good writer, honest, informative and amusing (albeit a wry, self-deprecating humor).  
Spo-Reflections - and who doesn't love this blog?  I found this always delightful blog through my friend's On Transmigration blog.  I was initially attracted because of the writer's physical attractiveness (always loved serious men with beards) but once I started to read this blog I realized that "Dr. Spo" was more than a mere pretty face.  Always insightful and helpful, I never miss his blog.  
I Should Be Laughing - One of the best written, funny, informative and honest blogs about hypocrisy both in the political realm and entertainment industry.   In fact it is THE BEST gossip blog on the Internet because it is not burdened down with a mountain of ads.  How this guy (Bob Slattern) writes for free I don't know but he is a treasure.  Only problem I have is that he is so prolific that I miss some of his postings which is my loss.  
Final question (if you dare!) :
Have you slept with any of your fellow bloggers?


Do commenters count? 


21 comments:

  1. Wow1

    Thanks for the Blogger Love, Ron.

    Much appreciated. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I love your blog! Excellent writing and coverage on a range of subjects from architecture to the latest hypocrisy in the entertainment and political arenas. Plus, I don't miss the ads. I don't read blogs that have ads, they get in the way and diminish the blog. Your blog is pure.
      Thank you!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. It's obvious that you put a lot of thoughtful work into answering these questions and I can fully identify with your input. For me, blogging is a very personal emotional outlet, and - of course - writing is always a great catharsis. I write exactly the way I think (that's kind of scary at times....) and I wear my heart on my proverbial sleeve. Often I'm probably too sentimentally sappy, but - what the hell.......Thanks for mentioning my humble Lone Star Concerto.

    Also, thanks for mentioning a blogging issue that irks both of us. It actually drives me crazy (or crazier than I already am). That issue is FONTS THAT ARE TOO SMALL!!!!!!! There are a lot of great blogs out there, but the microscopic fonts are so taxing on my eyes that I don't bother to read them. This is a consistent irritation in Blogland. As you said, it's not that difficult to change a tiny font to a larger one. Just as a courtesy to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      You are a treasure. Totally honest, talented and interesting. And of course I'm not the only one to think this. I think all your devoted followers are eagerly anticipating you finally breaking loose from west Texas and are looking forward to your new adventures. One of the main things that makes your blog so good is that you have a natural talent as a writer plus you've had an interesting and continue to have an interesting life. You may leave out some details but you give us enough to stimulate our imaginations. Plus you're kind to animals. You're one of the good guys!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. well, you will never sleep with me (wink wink nudge nudge)!

    ok, so I will change the font on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already starting to feel guilty for voicing my adamant opposition to small fonts. Perhaps I'll change my large font to a smaller one........(*smile*)

      Delete
    2. Jon,

      Don't feel guilty! I'm all for larger fonts. From you is where I got the idea for a larger font because your blog was so easy to read. I just never thought of using larger fonts before which is what I think most other bloggers do, they just haven't thought of it. They need to be reminded. It's all good.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anne Marie,

    Your blog font is just fine. However, some of the blog fonts are so small I don't even bother to read them.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool answers! And a great blog! Even with the HUGE fonts! HAHAHAHA

    Love it, Ron.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ps, got a nice surprise in the mail today! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Thank Anne Marie, she finally got me to move on making copies of that DVD. I'm going to make another with the video. Hope to get it out before Christmas.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I have big fonts too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for playing along.
    Idon't know how to make fonts larger! But size isn't everything I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Your fonts are just fine. I agree, size isn't everything. That reminds me of a very old mantra I used to hear when I frequented the gay bars in the Sixties and Seventies. One gay guy to another: "I'm not a size queen but big dicks don't depress me." A direct quote. Just saying.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron

    This is highly irregular - I am just catching up to your last two blogs (before this one) now. Generally something I do when I first get up when checking out emails. But once again - good questions and good answers. Bless you bloggers!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I usually don't do memes, especially really personal ones but I liked this one. It was fun. Thanks for your comment.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. Hi Ron,

    Funny you should mention "bank" and "interest" in the same sentence.

    We're all old enough to remember when banks actually *paid* interest!!! (instead of extracting myriad fees.)

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      Coincidentally yesterday I just renewed my IRA CD for the highest maximum interest rate. To get that "high" rate I had to renew it for 60 months. What was the "high" rate? .35% Incredible. Just incredible. Someone is making a LOT of money and it ain't me.

      Ron

      Delete
  10. Ron, At first I didn't know where or how to adjust my font size. If you check my latest post you can see I made the necessary changes, I guess I'm a grower not a shower. (oops did I just sat that! ;-) Your last photo I like a lot you have the world champion S#!T eatin' grin, I think it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      I'm glad you liked that last photo. Yes, I do look like the cat that swallowed (did I just say "swallow"?) the canary.

      Ron

      Delete
  11. There you are again in your Daniel Boone drag...thought the Pepe Le Pew handbag is a fashion risk.

    Thanks for the kind words about Harper's Valley!

    ReplyDelete