Saturday, November 02, 2013

Saturday Morning Musings

Casa Tipton-Kelly (yesterday evening at sunset)

Tomorrow my friend Pat from Toronto, Canada will arrive for a ten day visit.  Pat brought a lot in nearby Milton to build his retirement home.  This is the first time he will see the lot in person.  Bill and I stopped up this morning to check to make sure it is still there, it was.  With the early morning sun shining down on the changing color of the trees, it was beautiful.


Pat and his smoothie

Bill and stopped by Peppers greenhouse.  I bought four more flats of winter pansies.  Just when I think I have enough flowers, not enough. I have to get those planted to today.  Thank goodness today is another gorgeous, fall, 72 degree, low humidity day.

On Wednesday Pat and I will head up to visit my brother Isaac at the Tipton ancestral home in Downingtown.  I'll bore show him around my childhood haunts. Then it's off to Philadelphia to celebrate my 72nd birthday.  We'll be staying at the Latham Hotel on 17th Street in Philadelphia.

Latham Hotel, Philadelphia, PA
 

For more years than I care to remember I used to walk by the Latham Hotel on the way to work (at Girard/Mellon Bank) and think "Someday I would like to stay there."  Well, "someday" is here folks.  We'll settle ourselves in the luxurious accommodations of the Latham for the following three days.  Hopefully we'll meet up with Dr. Spo on Sunday.  During the rest of our stay I'll bore show Pat where I used to live and work and play when I lived in Philadelphia during the 60's, 70's and 80's. Quite a history folks.  And yes, I plan to stop in a gay bar……or two.  Should be interesting because Pat's never been in a gay bar. 


The Westbury Bar - first gay bar I ever went to in Philadlephia  in 1963 and where I met Bill

When I was young and full of disdain for older guys hanging out at gay bars this should also be interesting because now I will be one of those "old pities" which is what my self-absorbed arrogant friends and I used to refer to older gay guys who hung out at the bar.  Turnabout is fair play…..I guess.  

So that's my Gay Agenda for today folks.  I hope to keep my blog going next week folks but maybe not.  One thing I'm pretty sure of….if I do post there won't be any old photos because I'm not at my iMac but on my iPad.  Also, the posts may be shorter.  We'll see. 

Now I better get out there and start planting those pansies!


Pansies at the front doorstep ready for planting today!

9 comments:

  1. Lovely pansies! Your yard is so big!
    So, Pat's lot is still there. Did you think maybe the ocean washed it away, or droids absconded with it in the night? :)
    You say Pat's never been to a gay bar. Is Pat gay? The whole affair should be tons of fun. Good luck in all your travels in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Java,
      Yes, the pansies are lovely, thank you. Just wanted to check that Pat's lot was stilt here and thank God it was because I don't know how I would explain it to him if it wasn't.



      Ron

      Delete
  2. Just in case you don't have time to post at all, have a wonderful time with Pat, and meeting Dr Spo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege. I may not have as long blog posts but I do hope to at least touch base. One thing, I'll take plenty of pictures to share. I'm also looking forward to seeing Dr. Spo again. He is a delightful person and always a joy to be with.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron

    Just going to put a few things together for the trip. Nice weather in Toronto to start the journey. One stop in Buffalo on the way down and then hit the toll roads. This is interesting for me who has only taken two vacations in several years to be back on the road so recently from my last trip down to you. Can't wait to see the lot in person - visit my old "haunts" (from my last visit) in Lewes- and then I get to check out Philadelphia in some pretty swanky digs. All's good to me. Hope the planting went well.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I didn't realize you only have had two vacations in several years. Well, one thing is for sure, I can guarantee you that you that this vacation in Delaware ("Delaware? What's in Delaware?") will be your finest and happiest you've ever had. I too am looking forward to revisiting your old "haunts" in Lewes (we'll have to stop at Hotel Blue and say "Hi!") and Nectar for a smoothie (or two). Also Cafe Azafran for a veggie plate. Philly is a wonderful city to visit and play in, believe me I know from having lived and played there for lo these many years.

      I did get all my pansies planted and they are looking fine. See you tomorrow!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. to all the readers - ron has the best yard EVAH! he and bill take good care of the lovely home they have.

    enjoy your visit with pat. I will meet him in march.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne Marie! Growing up in a second floor apartment, I always wanted my own back yard. One of my life goals in addition to finding a Prince Charming ( or two.) I think one can say with some accuracy I have over compensated. We love our backyard!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I will be curious to see this hotel: it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete